India Chooses Sikorsky for $1 Billion Military Helicopter Deal

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Good for the job market in the U.S.

---

NEW DELHI—India has awarded an estimated $1 billion deal to Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. to buy 16 helicopters, an official at India’s defense ministry said Saturday.

Under the deal, the U.S. manufacturer will supply the S-70B Seahawk multi-role helicopters to the Indian Navy, the official said, adding the contract includes an option for an additional eight helicopters.

The deal marks another milestone in the growing defense ties between the world’s biggest democracies. It also comes ahead of a planned January visit to New Delhi by U.S. President Barack Obama for Republic Day celebrations, which will showcase the latest military hardware.

India—the world’s biggest arms importer-—has ordered more than $10 billion of U.S. weapons in the past decade. These include the P-8I anti-submarine warfare planes and C-17 Globemaster airlifters from Boeing Co. and C-130J Super Hercules planes from Lockheed Martin Corp.

The orders have made India the biggest export market for U.S. weapons. It climbed to the top ranking from 24th place as an importer of arms from the U.S. after buying $1.9 billion of U.S. military hardware last year, according to IHS Jane’s, a defense publisher.

The orders to the U.S. and other nations, such as Israel and France, underscore India’s efforts to diversify from its reliance on its biggest supplier, Russia. New Delhi is spending billions of dollars each year to modernize its military by replacing aging Soviet-era equipment amid concerns about an assertive China and a hostile Pakistan on its borders.

Sikorsky said negotiations would now commence with the Indian government for the supply of the 16 helicopters.

The Indian Navy variant of the S-70B will include advanced sonar and 360-degree-search radar, air-to-surface missiles and torpedoes for anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare, according to Sikorsky. It will also have the capability to fold the blades and tail for storing in warships, the company said.

“India’s selection of the S-70B helicopter represents a major strategic win for Sikorsky in an important growth market, and positions us well for future opportunities,” said Mick Maurer, president of Sikorsky.

Sikorsky’s win followed the partial barring of Finmeccanica SpA by the Indian government this year. The action was taken following bribery allegations against AgustaWestland, the helicopter unit of Finmeccanica, in a 2010 helicopter contract that was later canceled. India’s Central Bureau of Investigation is currently probing the allegations.

The NH90 helicopter produced by Europe’s NH Industries, which is jointly owned by Eurocopter and AgustaWestland, was competing for the same contract. India’s defense ministry decided in August that Finmeccanica would be barred from taking part in future military contracts as long the military’s needs could be “satisfactorily” met by other companies.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/indi...1-billion-military-helicopter-deal-1417867938

Seems like a fair trade off, we send them crappy telemarketer jobs, they buy billions of dollars worth of military hardware from us.

I do not think we send them anything. The telemarketing thing is just a stereotype now. It may have been true at some point. These days those jobs go to Philippines.

Wow, 16 helicopters for a billion dollars. How much is that in rupees? I didn't even know that India had a freaking navy.

You gotta be shitting me. I logged on to the link and it had the US 3rd behind North Korea.
No it didn't , I thought that at first to, but if you go look at that page on the left it has the rankings, the US is at the top , where they belong.

The list on the right is a ranking solely by the number of vessels, but if you look at this page

North Korea Military Strength

You'll see that over half of North Korea's "vessels" are glorified boats, not even fit for blue water.

India just few months ago deployed a Arihant class nuclear powered submarine. The submarine is finishing up sea trials. While that is undergoing, they are building four more Arihant class nuclear submarines and a very modern command and control center for its fleet of nuclear submarines.

SSBN Arihant Class Submarine - Naval Technology

Navy gets new facility to communicate with nuclear submarines prowling underwater - The Times of India

God imagine if you were on one of their subs and needed technical support to keep from drowning?

"yes this is Bob from Indiana, how help you I can?"

India just few months ago deployed a Arihant class nuclear powered submarine. The submarine is finishing up sea trials. While that is undergoing, they are building four more Arihant class nuclear submarines and a very modern command and control center for its fleet of nuclear submarines.

SSBN Arihant Class Submarine - Naval Technology

Navy gets new facility to communicate with nuclear submarines prowling underwater - The Times of India

God imagine if you were on one of their subs and needed technical support to keep from drowning?

"yes this is Bob from Indiana, how help you I can?"

Those Arihant class submarines are SSBNs. They were designed and developed in India. You cannot buy nuclear powered and nuclear armed SSBNs in the market :) You have to build your own.

Forum List

Back