Independents Now Onboard to raise Debt Limit

So, 42% or 45%.... still doesn't equal 50%... and there is STILL nothing but your supposition that says the GOP is losing 50% of the independents over this.

It doesn't haven't to equal 50%. Polls have =/- error. Take stats. Semantics huh? LOL!

"42% say their greater concern is that not raising the limit would force the government into default and hurt the economy. " That is significant.

It looks like the GOP would lose 1/2 of the Independent voters if they fail to raise the debt limit. I would also assume that takes in a big chunk of the Tea Party loonies.:lol:

Poll: Independents now divided on raising debt ceiling versus allowing default
Currently, 47% say their greater concern is that raising the debt limit would lead to higher government spending and make the national debt bigger, while 42% say their greater concern is that not raising the limit would force the government into default and hurt the economy. This represents a change in the balance of opinion since May, when more expressed concern over raising the debt limit (48%) than said their greater concern was the prospect of a government default (35%).

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press and The Washington Post, conducted July 7-10 among 1,007 adults, finds that independents are now evenly divided in concerns over the debt limit: 46% say their greater concern is that raising the limit would lead to higher government spending while 45% say their bigger concern is that not raising the limit will lead to a default. Two months ago, independents by 49% to 34% expressed more concern over raising the debt limit.

You do realize the GOP knows the debt ceiling has to be raised and isn't opposed to that don't you? The arguing points are that the GOP wants to reduce spending so we don't keep bumping into the debt ceiling and the Dems want to raise taxes to collect and spend more thinking that it will prevent them from bumping into the debt ceiling. But since they are already spending more than they take in, they will just blow any additional revenues too. You really need to understand the issue if you are going to opine on it.

Last edited:
So, 42% or 45%.... still doesn't equal 50%... and there is STILL nothing but your supposition that says the GOP is losing 50% of the independents over this.

It doesn't haven't to equal 50%. Polls have =/- error. Take stats. Semantics huh? LOL!

"42% say their greater concern is that not raising the limit would force the government into default and hurt the economy. " That is significant.

Still nothing to prove it will hurt the economy.

So, when you say 50%, you don't really MEAN 50%... you were lying. Got it.

And that pesky little supposition of yours? That the GOP is losing 50% of the independents on this issue.. you know, the one not supported by anything you've posted, not supported by any source you posted in this thread? That would be a lie then as well. Got it.

Last edited:
So we're all now in favor of, how'd Obama put it, "failed leadership"?

This is way beyond retarded.... all adding more debt does is that insure you now have even bigger payments next time. Sorry kids, the wheels have fallen off the Progressive Nanny-State.

Get over it... it's OVER...

Once people who favor cutting spending realize that not raising the debt limit will literally force spending cuts, they should be all for it.

People who say those who are against raising the debt ceiling are crazy simply have not looked at the whole issue. On another note, what is the point of having a debt ceiling if every time we hit it we just raise it? I wish I could do that with my credit card.

How does it force spending cuts if Congress' budget needn't conform to its Debt Ceiling vote?

Even your credit card analogy is flawed. What you're saying is that you can incur the debt . . . and then decide whether to pay it or not? That's irresponsible. The Debt Ceiling vote does not eliminate any liabilities, it just determines whether the US will meet its liabilities or not. The real vote was already cast with the Congressional budget.

Once people who favor cutting spending realize that not raising the debt limit will literally force spending cuts, they should be all for it.

People who say those who are against raising the debt ceiling are crazy simply have not looked at the whole issue. On another note, what is the point of having a debt ceiling if every time we hit it we just raise it? I wish I could do that with my credit card.

How does it force spending cuts if Congress' budget needn't conform to its Debt Ceiling vote?

Even your credit card analogy is flawed. What you're saying is that you can incur the debt . . . and then decide whether to pay it or not? That's irresponsible. The Debt Ceiling vote does not eliminate any liabilities, it just determines whether the US will meet its liabilities or not. The real vote was already cast with the Congressional budget.

It forces either spending cuts or default. I'm not sure why that is difficult to understand.

As for the analogy, I sarcastically said I wish I could raise the debt limit on my credit card like the government does with its own debt so, like the government, I wouldn't have to pay it. Your characterization of what I said doesn't make any sense, and is not what I said.

No shit the debt ceiling vote doesn't eliminate liabilities. It will force the government to stop taking on new liabilities if they refuse to raise the debt ceiling. That is the whole point. I don't know where you got this crazy idea that I thought it would eliminate liabilities.

New Topics

Forum List

Back