Independents BOLTING from Democratic party.

I've read a couple of blogs on this and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how you can quit an organization that you never belonged to?

I'm an independent - last election I voted for mainly for Democrats.

I'd consider it a shift if and when I vote for mainly Republicans. So in which vote did this defection occur?

I've read a couple of blogs on this and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how you can quit an organization that you never belonged to?

I'd consider it a shift if and when I vote for mainly Republicans. So in which vote did this defection occur?

Exactly.

But telling that to wingnuts is kind of like banging one's head against a wall.

all you have to do is take a deep breath and realize it was the independents who made the diff. in 2008 now open your eyes and read the stats again,, their opinions of the demoncwats has fallen dramatically, therefore the demoncwats may not get their vote again.. things are in such a mess and we can blame the independents for voting for hope and change,, even after the future was there for them to see they still pulled the damn lever for the wrong guy and now they know it.. yeah!

I think there are lot of us independents who vote without regard to party. Bolting from may have been bad terminology on yahoo's part. The point is there are a lot of us who are not in approval of the the democrats party line after seeing it in action.
Getting hung up on semantics won't change that.
There is a huge number of people that don't belong to either of the two major parties who at times lean towards one parties philosophy or the other. this article is just claiming that there are a lot of independents that are leaning away from the democratic party.
Not really anything new is it?
Course the partisans that only see two sides will be shocked and alarmed.

Well, I'm and Independent and I vote mainly Rep. Last Dem I voted for for President was CArter. Guess I won't go there.

all you have to do is take a deep breath and realize it was the independents who made the diff. in 2008 now open your eyes and read the stats again,, their opinions of the demoncwats has fallen dramatically, therefore the demoncwats may not get their vote again.. things are in such a mess and we can blame the independents for voting for hope and change,, even after the future was there for them to see they still pulled the damn lever for the wrong guy and now they know it.. yeah!

Your right - Democratic candidates may not get my vote and the votes of other independents next time around.

But if the Republicans don't offer something a lot better than juvenile insults, fear and smear, and hate-filled political theater, I don't expect they will be any more successful in 2012 than they were in 2008.

And since Obama's approval numbers are right about at where his margin for election is - I don't see this "remorse" that you and some of these bloggers are trying to conjure up. But I guess we will see.

But the GOP STILL has to try to come up with a candidate that 51% like BETTER than they like Obama. Obama's approval could be 15% but if you don't have anyone who can get above 14% - your still gonna lose.

Good luck

Last edited:
White House officials attributed the defeats to local factors and said President Barack Obama sees no need to reposition his own image or the Democratic message.

Oh good! Just keep doing what you're doing Mr. President!

Exactly.

Ya funny how you just LOVE polls when they say what you like to hear. This is a poll on Independents, run just as if it were a poll on democrats or republicans. They ask who was an independent and those that were were polled. Pretty fucking simple concept. less than 46 percent said they still supported the democrats. And the lowest number this year said they thought Congress was doing a good Job.

You crack me up when you try and pretend that polls that you do not like are somehow unimportant and in this case not being honest.

Washington himself said that political parties would lead to " Division in america" and he was right on that. I think that people become to wrapped up in political parties and that being a indepedent is the best way to go. with Republicans losing their base to super conservatives and democrats with their civil war in congress maybe being a independent will turn out for the good in 2010.

So when did you sign up to be an Independent Party member nodoginnafight? I mean you have to join in order to quit right? No, when the pollster calls you they ask you to identify what group you associate with. If you indicate your an independent, they question you further to gain the information found in this article noted above.

Did they make you sign up to be a Democrat or Republican in order to vote? Gee, you mean you can vote and not be a card carrying member?

In my state Independent is just another political party.
Unafilliated is not an option, but is truely independent.

So when did you sign up to be an Independent Party member nodoginnafight? I mean you have to join in order to quit right? No, when the pollster calls you they ask you to identify what group you associate with. If you indicate your an independent, they question you further to gain the information found in this article noted above.

Did they make you sign up to be a Democrat or Republican in order to vote? Gee, you mean you can vote and not be a card carrying member?

I didn't sign up to be an Independent - that's the point. But they do make you register as a member of one party or another to vote in primaries in some states.

btw - I was a registered Republican, gave to the party, attended more Lincoln Day dinners than I care to recount, etc. I was a bona fide member of the GOP. But I resigned that membership.

I can understand how Republicans are desperate to see some indication that they are winning independents back and I'm sure they feel very encouraged by this/these poll/blogs. Good for them.

If they want to think that Independents are quitting an organization that they never joined in the first place or that this/these poll/blogs mean they are heading back to Republicans - I'm simply suggesting that only time will tell if that optimism is meritted.

Sorry, didn't mean to throw cold water all over the "victory lap."

Last edited:

I didn't sign up to be an Independent - that's the point. But they do make you register as a member of one party or another to vote in primaries in some states.

btw - I was a registered Republican, gave to the party, attended more Lincoln Day dinners than I care to recount, etc. I was a bona fide member of the GOP. But I resigned that membership.

I can understand how Republicans are desperate to see some indication that they are winning independents back and I'm sure they feel very encouraged by this/these poll/blogs. Good for them.

If they want to think that Independents are quitting an organization that they never joined in the first place or that this/these poll/blogs mean they are heading back to Republicans - I'm simply suggesting that only time will tell if that optimism is meritted.

Sorry, didn't mean to throw cold water all over the "victory lap."

I hear you. I was the same, although I "bolted" much earlier. Victory lap, more like a qualifying lap no?

First of all, the poll is a little skewed. Voters identifying themselves as "Republican" are at or near all time lows. Those who used to call themselves Republicans are now calling themselves independents, and many of those are on the right of the party. So it is not surprising that the Dems lost those votes.

However, independents are worried about the Democrats doing too much. As a self-avowed independent that has generally supported the Democrats this decade, I would be more than happy to see their majorities reduced. Particularly, I'd like to see liberals replaced by "RINOs" as opposed to Blue Dogs being beaten by conservatives.

Exactly.

ill provide the wall for ya

Forum List

Back