Independence Day Memories..

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
City of Toledo

Toledo is the fourth most populous city in the U.S. state of Ohio and is the county seat of Lucas County.[4] Toledo is in northwest Ohio, on the western end of Lake Erie, and borders the State of Michigan. The city was founded in 1833 on the west bank of the Maumee River, originally incorporated as part of Monroe County, Michigan Territory, then re-founded in 1837, after conclusion of the Toledo War, when it was incorporated in Ohio. Toledo grew quickly as a result of the Miami and Erie Canal and its position on the railway line between New York and Chicago. It has since become a city well known for its industry, particularly in glass and auto assembly, as well as for its art community, education, and local sports teams. The population of Toledo as of the 2010 Census was 287,208, while the Toledo metropolitan area had a population of 651,409.

Toledo, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was growing up, the 4th of July was one of the fun days of the year. My Dad would either take us swimming at East Harbor in Lake Erie or we'd play at home in the hood until fireworks time.

We used to go stand on the Hi Level, now known as the Anthony Wayne, bridge to see the fireworks best.

544002168_d8709721b6_b.jpg

What were your Independence Day memories?

We had a cabin up at Big Bear..... still do actually.... that's where we used to spend the holiday. Happy, happy, happy days!

My fondest memories are going out to the woods with fully automatic weapons, exploding targets, half dozen cans of gasoline, more than enough ammo and then lighting up the sky! Couldn't do it this year because of drought conditions.

1984 - 1985. My high school friends and I would go and watch the fireworks display at Hanscom AFB in Bedford Massachusetts. That was always a good showing!

When I was a young girl, my parents took my sister, brother and I to attend a parade every July 4th. Those too are some fond memories.

More recently ... neighborhood BBQ's and fireworks. House hopping or very large get-togethers in the backyards of my home and those of my friends on either side of me.

Ahhhhh .... good times, good times.

Before or after I married into the star spangled banner?

I jest, of course.

No, in all seriousness, I've thoroughly, not to mention unexpectedly, enjoyed every single 4th of July with my wife's family. I remember once there was an old dead tree they set fire to. It was like standing beneath the flame on a match.

Beforehand I used to sneer along with all my fellow Brits whilst we all silently cursed our forefathers for losing America in the first place. I've often wondered what must have passed through powerful and influential minds in Westminster once they realised how big America is/was, and that they'd ruined any chance of exploiting it.

Forum List

Back