"Incredible" 59-59 score actually incredible

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Wimbledon epic is longest tennis match ever - News - FOX Sports on MSN

History has been made at Wimbledon ... and there's more to come.

American John Isner and France's Nicolas Mahut have played exactly 10 hours of tennis in their ongoing first-round match, with the match being called due to darkness Wednesday in the fifth set with the incredible score of 59-59, making it the longest match in Open era tennis history.

The players began the match Tuesday, splitting the first four sets before being stopped due to darkness that night. They will finish the match — hopefully — on Thursday. There are no fifth-set tiebreakers at Wimbledon.

Uhhh. Wow. :lol:

Still, we are talking tennis here...

gay.jpg

10 hours, talk about determination. :lol:

As for the picture, she doesn't look 18. :lol:

Wimbledon 2010 live blog: 23 June | Xan Brooks | Sport | guardian.co.uk

6pm: The score stands at 34-34. In order to stay upright and keep their strength, John Isner and Nicolas Mahut have now started eating members of the audience. They trudge back to the baseline, gnawing on thigh-bones and sucking intestines. They have decided that they will stay on Court 18 until every spectator is eaten. Only then, they say, will they consider ending their contest.

It's over folks.

Isner wins.

70-68 in 5th set: Isner wins longest tennis match - Tennis - Yahoo! Sports

WIMBLEDON, England(AP) -- John Isner has won the longest match in tennis history, taking the fifth set against Nicolas Mahut 70-68.

The first-round match at Wimbledon took 11 hours, 5 minutes over three days. Isner closed out the victory Thursday with a backhand winner, then collapsed to his back as he tossed his racket in jubilation and relief.

Isner won 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 70-68.

The match lasted so long it was suspended because of darkness - two nights in a row. Play resumed Thursday at 59-all and continued for more than an hour before Isner won.

The American finished with 112 aces, and Mahut had 103. There were only three service breaks in the match, the last coming on the final point.

Immie

It's over folks.

Isner wins.

WIMBLEDON, England(AP) -- John Isner has won the longest match in tennis history, taking the fifth set against Nicolas Mahut 70-68.

The first-round match at Wimbledon took 11 hours, 5 minutes over three days. Isner closed out the victory Thursday with a backhand winner, then collapsed to his back as he tossed his racket in jubilation and relief.

The match lasted so long it was suspended because of darkness - two nights in a row. Play resumed Thursday at 59-all and continued for more than an hour before Isner won.

The American finished with 112 aces, and Mahut had 103. There were only three service breaks in the match, the last coming on the final point.

Immie

Good heads up, I was just coming over to report the news.

Congrats to the American John Isner, whom I've never heard of in a sport I consider a nice hobby. Best Homer Simpson voice anyway... USA! USA! USA! Meh, who cares. :razz:

Last edited:
Amazing determination from both athletes...

I hope they never play again

It's over folks.

Isner wins.

Immie

The final score was 70-68. That means that the tennis they played today was 11-9...which would have been a long match (or set, or frame, or whatever the fuck they call it) in it's own right.

This was pretty funny..

John Isner Reads Top-Ten List on Letterman
By Mike McIntyre

American John Isner found himself in New York City on Monday for a taping of the Late Show with David Letterman. Isner delivered the nightly Top Ten List that was related to his recent first round marathon match at Wimbledon against Nicolas Mahut where he won 70-68 in the fifth set.

The category was "top ten thoughts that went through John Isner's mind during the 11-hour tennis match."

10 - I'm exhausted

9 - We've been playing so long I've forgotten - am I Isner or Mahut?

8 - Remember when I said I was exhausted? That was 8 hours ago!

7 - Wonder if I'll be sore tomorrow?

6 - I'm gonna lay back until 51-50, then make my move

5 - I'm asleep

4 - Why couldn't I have played Federer? It would've been over in 15 minutes

3 - Cramp!

2 - Honestly, I don't care if I win or lose - I just don't want to die

1 - Larry King has had marriages that didn't last this long

Isner appeared to be having a good time, smiling throughout the short bit. He particularly laughed while reading numbers 4 and 1.

Letterman congratulated him afterwards and presented him with a dozen red roses.

Certainly some nice recognition for the sport of tennis and a well-deserved moment for the affable Isner to enjoy.

John Isner Reads Top-Ten List on Letterman - Pro Tennis Fan

Forum List

Back