Inconsistent TV censorship

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Episode of Tosh.O today had the bit where some soccer fans were mocking a team's lion mascot with a paper cut-out penis shoved into it's mouth. Comed Central didn't censor that including when the penis was inserted into the mouth of the lion. When Tosh's crew did their parody bit though of a vulva and fingers inserted they black-barred the entire thing.

FXX had "This Is The End" last couple of nights. Watching the end I notice they mosaiced out the genitals of the giant devil at the end which only drew my eye to it. :) Were they afraid we'd find the devil's genitals attractive or something?

Comedy Central routinely censors South Park episodes, Archer episodes (my current fave) yet seems to have no qualms about profanity. Hearing profanity on other channels a lot more lately as well I'm noticing.

But while censorship is always objectionable, what's really irking is there doesn't seem to be any consitency to it. Some things get censored, others don't. What may have been censored prior may air uncensored another time. Isn't just different airtimes as I'd assumed though. It's truly random.

Violence alas is never censored. I have yet to see a scene of bloody gore and violence censored.

Episode of Tosh.O today had the bit where some soccer fans were mocking a team's lion mascot with a paper cut-out penis shoved into it's mouth. Comed Central didn't censor that including when the penis was inserted into the mouth of the lion. When Tosh's crew did their parody bit though of a vulva and fingers inserted they black-barred the entire thing.

FXX had "This Is The End" last couple of nights. Watching the end I notice they mosaiced out the genitals of the giant devil at the end which only drew my eye to it. :) Were they afraid we'd find the devil's genitals attractive or something?

Comedy Central routinely censors South Park episodes, Archer episodes (my current fave) yet seems to have no qualms about profanity. Hearing profanity on other channels a lot more lately as well I'm noticing.

But while censorship is always objectionable, what's really irking is there doesn't seem to be any consitency to it. Some things get censored, others don't. What may have been censored prior may air uncensored another time. Isn't just different airtimes as I'd assumed though. It's truly random.

Violence alas is never censored. I have yet to see a scene of bloody gore and violence censored.

How would you know what violent scenes have been censored?
If they've been censored?
Ha ha ;-) JK, Wasn't Clockwork Orange censored for its violent content.
I've heard of movies getting rated X for violence, so these had to be re-edited for commercial marketing.

How would you know what violent scenes have been censored?
If they've been censored?
Ha ha ;-) JK, Wasn't Clockwork Orange censored for its violent content.
I've heard of movies getting rated X for violence, so these had to be re-edited for commercial marketing.

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" was probably the last movie to get an X for violence and that was in 1970 if I recall. Was on one of the premium chans recently, and while decapitations and gunshot murders in the mouth was graphic, it was also very briefly shown. By modern standards relatively tame. No way it'd get an X now for violence. The sexuality yes. Violence though has become a casualty of desensitization it seems. But not nudity and sexuality.

Surprisingly, while cartoon nudity gets censored like regular live-depictions, violence doesn't seemt o matter. "Star Wars Rebels" on DisneyXD is rated TV-Y7 yet shows pleanty of killing and gunplay violence yet gets a rating making it akin to Teletubbies ratings-wise. Yet if an alien female were topless that'd make it TV-14 or MA I have no doubt. But killing is acceptable.

We need to change that and treat violence the way we treat nudity and sexuality and treat sex and nudity the way we do violence now with a much more permissive attitude. Showing people naken and natural and having mutually consensual sex is what people should be seeing. Not people ripping other people apart.

Forum List

Back