Income Inequality Costs the US Economy $740 Billion

Obama has not proposed cutting gov't growth and spending.
Fail.

He offered the Republican Congress 10-1 cuts to tax increases, those increases were too much for the GOP. Try again.

Oh bullshit. That was a gimmick and nothing more. He knew they wouldn't accept that offer. Obama is an ideologue and like all Democrats he does not believe in cutting the growth of government. They don't think the government does enough. And on that note, neither do the Republicans.

Obama has not proposed cutting gov't growth and spending.
Fail.

He offered the Republican Congress 10-1 cuts to tax increases, those increases were too much for the GOP. Try again.

all for show......you do realize that many of those spending cuts are always "down the road" and somehow never materialize.....?

Romney is for cutting taxes and cutting spending and closing the loopholes for the wealthier as well.....you'd get your goals implemented much better with him.....BO hasn't done shit....

Yes, Obama's spending cuts were 10 years away and his tax increases were tomorrow. No wonder the GOP didnt go along with that crap. The Dems pulled that on Reagan. Fortunately we've learned alot since then.

So 5 years ago when UE was like 5% or less and GDP was growing at some kind of reasonable rate, was that decades in the making too?
You are spouting generalities with very little proof or logic. You'll have to do better to hang with the big boys.

Growth 5 years ago was fueled by a housing bubble, also decades in the making.

BS- the bubble was made 2002-2007, when cronyism and corruption on the part of Bush regulators and financial instiutions ran wild. Fanny and Freddy's share of the mortgage market went from 75% to 25% and we got the SECOND Pub Great World depression. The Pub Propaganda machine is FOS, and so are you. LOL

So 5 years ago when UE was like 5% or less and GDP was growing at some kind of reasonable rate, was that decades in the making too?
You are spouting generalities with very little proof or logic. You'll have to do better to hang with the big boys.

Growth 5 years ago was fueled by a housing bubble, also decades in the making.

BS- the bubble was made 2002-2007, when cronyism and corruption on the part of Bush regulators and financial instiutions ran wild. Fanny and Freddy's share of the mortgage market went from 75% to 25% and we got the SECOND Pub Great World depression. The Pub Propaganda machine is FOS, and so are you. LOL

BS yourself....F&F lowered their standards.....or don't you realize what "conforming mortgages" are...?

F+F got into it late and had little to do with it ( Fanny and Freddy's share of the mortgage market went from 75% to 25%)- can you read?- like Spain, Greece, Ireland, etc etc. Great job Pubbies.

Last edited:
Courseofhistory should have been left back, this is what happens when you promote people who need to repeat grades

F+F got into it late and had little to do with it ( Fanny and Freddy's share of the mortgage market went from 75% to 25%)- can you read?- like Spain, Greece, Ireland, etc etc. Great job Pubbies.

F&F gave No Income No Asset Paper AAA rating now STFU and take your meds

I must confess to surprise that no one has apparently noticed the title of Stiglitz's latest book: "The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future" (2012). My first thought is that if anyone chooses to actually read the book, they could post a book review and we could have a nice discussion. The my reason returned; we don't generally read books here and if we do we certainly don't try to intelligently discuss them. But perhaps my reaction is wrong.

So folks, I will buy Joe's book and read it because I keep up with the literature. I will also dust off my notes on growth theory and income inequality (there is actually a pretty good literature on the topic). If this is too onerous for anyone I would recommend Krugman's "End This Depression Now!" which contains a discussion of the inequality/growth issue. I have also read and would recommend Stiglitz' book "Freefall".

Since I have not yet read Stiglitz most recent book but have finished the earlier one and Krugman's, if anyone wants to start now, have at it.

This has nothing to do with education and everything to do with greed. The middle class is very well educated and wage growth has been stagnant amongst this group for 30+ years while skyrocketing for CEO'S and executives. I can't believe people think this is an education issue, amazing.

Maybe the don't have a good education???

I must confess to surprise that no one has apparently noticed the title of Stiglitz's latest book: "The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future" (2012). My first thought is that if anyone chooses to actually read the book, they could post a book review and we could have a nice discussion. The my reason returned; we don't generally read books here and if we do we certainly don't try to intelligently discuss them. But perhaps my reaction is wrong.

So folks, I will buy Joe's book and read it because I keep up with the literature. I will also dust off my notes on growth theory and income inequality (there is actually a pretty good literature on the topic). If this is too onerous for anyone I would recommend Krugman's "End This Depression Now!" which contains a discussion of the inequality/growth issue. I have also read and would recommend Stiglitz' book "Freefall".

Since I have not yet read Stiglitz most recent book but have finished the earlier one and Krugman's, if anyone wants to start now, have at it.

Dang, I just purchased "Atlas Shrugged" and I have limited resources for books. I guess I'll see if I can get it from the library. If anybody plans on getting me any birthday or Christmas gifts this year, number one on my list is Amazon gift certificates.

The message I am getting from the OP is that our educational system has failed the majority of our kids. This has caused them to be unqualified or unmotivated to be businesspeople or to obtain the education required for high paying positions in the world of work.

That what you meant?

Sorry, I know too many college graduates today that are working mw jobs because they can't find jobs. My niece graduated from the UW with a degree in Environmental Sciences. She's now work at Bartel drugs and they've agreed to send her back to school to become a pharmacist and employ her afterwards. My son graduated from DeVry with a 4.0 and still doesn't have a job.

College no longer guarantees a job let alone one that pays more. Our economy is in a shit load of trouble and too many people are still clinging to the old beliefs that you can work your way up in this country or that all you need to get ahead is a college education.

In their rush to capitalize on the mad rush for degrees, many institutes of "higher learning" degraded the value of a degree. Where once a degree was worthy of respect, there are too many, and too many represent minimal academic accomplishment, at best. I believe that a firm foundation in a trade is probably more worthy of respect, and much more in line with many people's inclinations than some exalted degree.

Median income has gone down over $4,000 since Obama took office. How many jobs are available right now that are not filled because not enough people are qualified for them?

539513_282103971907218_2015692719_n.jpg

So coutse, what do you mean by inequality? And what would you like to see?

Dang, I just purchased "Atlas Shrugged"
You have my sympathies. Perhaps on some cold night you could put it to good use lighting a fire.

The movie is coming out, 3 of them actually, I thought I should read it so I'd know what people are talking about. Do you only read books you agree with?

One of my all time favorites, "Atlas Shrugged". "The Figurehead" is Rand's story that tells how government interference wrecks art and artists the same way "Atlas Shrugged" describes government destruction of productivity and industry. It gets a little sappy at a couple of points, but I won't give the story away.
As usual, the movies will not doubt be entertaining but will likely not do justice to the books.

Forum List

Back