Incivility from the Right to catch up with them

Think Progress GOP Rep. Nunes Excuses Racist, Homophobic Tea Partier Slurs As A Response To ?Totalitarian Tactics?

This morning on C-Span’s Washington Journal, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) justified the disturbing racist and homophobic epitaphs that angry tea baggers hurled yesterday at Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA), and other House Democrats. Nunes insisted that everyone has a right to “smear” whoever they want and that the tea baggers’ behavior was understandable given the “crazy totalitarian tactics” that he alleges Democrats are engaged in:

SCULLY: A lot of angry comments aimed at a couple of your colleagues, including Barney Frank and Congressman John Lewis, using the “n” word as some of the protesters jeered at him as he walked through the halls of the Capitol.

NUNES: Yeah, well I think that when you use totalitarian tactics, people, you know, begin to act crazy. I think, you know, there’s people that have every right to say what they want. If they want to smear someone, they can do it. It’s not appropriate. And I think I would stop short of characterizing the 20,000 people protesting, that all of them were doing that –

SCULLY: — those are just some of the stories.

NUNES: Of course. I think the left loves to play a couple of incidents here or there.

that was before the vote. you can see, nunes was bribed to vote yes. :lol:

Actually, my point (floated over your head as per) was that the government tried to blackmail Nunes to support the bill.

your point floated right into the wall, sleepy girl. your attempts at reframing are dismissed.

learn to write clearly and unambiguously, and less hacky, if you can. bwahahaha

are you saying that nunes voted yes on the health care bill?

Sorry. I've been up all night and I'm exhausted. I worded that totally wrong. The bribe was 20%, the cost to his district for his no vote was they don't get more water.

However, they got two votes for their efforts in Ca. My point.... there is too much of this back room deals, threats and intimidation.

But the "Baby killer!" furor highlights a far more serious, long-term political dilemma for the Republicans: how to appear to be a respectable party capable of governing while also providing political shelter for the highly motivated, though vocally disruptive, protest wing of the party associated with the Tea Party movement.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Let me ask you a question Vern, were the colonists "uncivil" when they told King George to go fuck himself and when they killed British troops in the battle for our independence?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ya don't think there might be just a little difference in the two cases here....:eusa_eh:

A difference........yeah.......King George had a British accent........

I disagree with you.....******, ******, ******

I disagree with you .....so I will SPIT on you

I disagree with you....so you are a FAGGOT

I disagree with you ....so you are a BABY KILLER

I disagree with you so you are a COMMUNIST, MUSLIM, NAZI

This is the Right Wing of America today. Every time it happens it is an "isolated incident" "it's not us" "it was someone else" Meanwhile the right wing incites these morons on a daily basis and then shrugs their shoulders when these idiots do what they think their mentors want.

And it was the left wing of two years ago... your point is?

Oh and look where the left wing is today!

Immie

"And it was the left wing of two years ago... your point is?"

if you are suggesting that conservatives were NOT using these "words" 2 years ago then I am afraid you are very much mistaken.

unlike you
I have been paying attention since the late 1980's when roger ailles first put rush limbaugh on every radio station in the country

cons have ALWAYS behaved like this

the only difference that I can see is now they are even MORE vitriolic in their speech.

You liberals used to encourage vocal and passionate protests when you were pissed off about something the "man" was doing to you... The 60's ring a bell with you? The "Bush is Hitler" years?

And how successful was that?

Not really an answer to my question...

It is, actually. Anger is not a winning formula in American politics no matter what side of the political spectrum.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Let me ask you a question Vern, were the colonists "uncivil" when they told King George to go fuck himself and when they killed British troops in the battle for our independence?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ya don't think there might be just a little difference in the two cases here....:eusa_eh:

A difference........yeah.......King George had a British accent........

They are right. Kids just aren't learning history anymore.:eusa_eh:

That's easy. Because only simple fuckin' morons would extrapolate negative comments of a few as representative of all Republicans. Fits their agenda but makes them sound like fools.

Next?

Welcome to Politics. Karl Rove made a career out of doing just this. The way I see it, after the GOP used Code Pink to tar and feather every Democrat they could, the GOP has no ground to stand on claiming that using the Tea Party to smear the GOP isn't fair.

Kharma is certainly a....

If you don't believe the Lamestream media has become our ENEMY.

Just look at and read all the stories that has been reported on and written about this supposed incident about the Tea Party.

wake up folks, the Media has become an Enemy to the majority of us American citizens.

First up, the Tea Party isn't the Majority of Americans.

Second, the Media is a business. If it is posting stories you don't like, that's because they're catering to their customers. Take your business elsewhere.

If you think the Media as a whole isn't paying attention to your views, its because there aren't enough people holding your views to make catering to them financially worthwhile.

"Baby killer" shouter steps forward, highlights internal GOP dilemma - Yahoo! News

But the "Baby killer!" furor highlights a far more serious, long-term political dilemma for the Republicans: how to appear to be a respectable party capable of governing while also providing political shelter for the highly motivated, though vocally disruptive, protest wing of the party associated with the Tea Party movement. While many commentators are forecasting trouble ahead for Democrats identified with the health care bill, the GOP faces some major issues of its own.

Just look at the past weekend: Thousands of Tea Party protesters descended on Washington in an attempt to "kill the bill." It was an impressive turnout for a quickly organized protest—but coverage of the event soon was dominated by reports that some demonstrators had hurled racial and homophobic epithets at Democratic lawmakers as they entered the Capitol.

How can anyone take the Republicans seriously while they repeatedly surrender to right wing hate rhetoric?

It's about time it caught up with them. It's been a long time since Atwater and the Christian Coalition began poisonioing out politics with all of the incivility. And don't blame it on the hippies. They were all for peace and love until the government began shooting at them.

Just look at the majority of republican comments on this forum, no wonder their politicians act like scum, look at their constituents. WAr and killing thousands is the good, patriotic thing to support. Criticizing a president starting war that has killed thousans of american soldiers and hundreds of thousands of cilivians, is the same as all the names and despicable things said about Obama and the dems for trying to pass legislation to help actual americans get healthcare, that is destroying the country. Nice priorities there, just shows how scummy republicans and their supporters can be. Being against the policy is one thing, making shit up is another, which the anti HC reform people love to do.

"Baby killer" shouter steps forward, highlights internal GOP dilemma - Yahoo! News

But the "Baby killer!" furor highlights a far more serious, long-term political dilemma for the Republicans: how to appear to be a respectable party capable of governing while also providing political shelter for the highly motivated, though vocally disruptive, protest wing of the party associated with the Tea Party movement. While many commentators are forecasting trouble ahead for Democrats identified with the health care bill, the GOP faces some major issues of its own.

Just look at the past weekend: Thousands of Tea Party protesters descended on Washington in an attempt to "kill the bill." It was an impressive turnout for a quickly organized protest—but coverage of the event soon was dominated by reports that some demonstrators had hurled racial and homophobic epithets at Democratic lawmakers as they entered the Capitol.

How can anyone take the Republicans seriously while they repeatedly surrender to right wing hate rhetoric?

It's about time it caught up with them. It's been a long time since Atwater and the Christian Coalition began poisonioing out politics with all of the incivility. And don't blame it on the hippies. They were all for peace and love until the government began shooting at them.

Sort of...but it was more than that. The 60's marked a sea-change in attitudes and behavior. Parents who grew up in the 60's raised children under a different set of values. Their children were raised with a right to "express themselves" regardless of consequences and the individual's freedom to do what they want should not be constrained by "manners". Social rules were overturned and torn apart and they are still in a flux. What's ironic is we have "conservatives" - the defenders of "tradition" mocking those very "traditions" by their behavior.

We are reaping the legacy of the 60's. That's not to say it's all bad - some things needed to change, but the baby was thrown out with the bathwater.

while INCIVILITY from the right REPELS sane, rational, logical, DECENT people, it, unfortunately, acts like catnip to conservatives and lower IQ humans

nothing they like better than hated and suggestions of violence

This is the Right Wing of America today. Every time it happens it is an "isolated incident" "it's not us" "it was someone else" Meanwhile the right wing incites these morons on a daily basis and then shrugs their shoulders when these idiots do what they think their mentors want.

And it was the left wing of two years ago

... your point is?

Immie

How can you say this Immie?????

Who on the left called people ******?

Who on the left called someone a Faggot?

Who on the left called someone a Muslim as an insult?

Who on the left called someone a Communist?

Who on the left SPIT on a legislator?

Since I just got back and since Willowtree has already answered this post, I will simply remind you of all the hatred that was spouted off at Neo-cons and conservatives over the last 6 years of the Bush regime and still goes on to this day.

And let me add this again, because this was my point, look where the left is today! Does it not follow that these tactics work? It sure as hell does. And you wonder why there are idiots on the right who are doing the same thing today? They do it because sadly... it works.

Immie

And it was the left wing of two years ago

... your point is?

Immie

How can you say this Immie?????

Who on the left called people ******?

Who on the left called someone a Faggot?

Who on the left called someone a Muslim as an insult?

Who on the left called someone a Communist?

Who on the left SPIT on a legislator?

Since I just got back and since Willowtree has already answered this post, I will simply remind you of all the hatred that was spouted off at Neo-cons and conservatives over the last 6 years of the Bush regime and still goes on to this day.

And let me add this again, because this was my point, look where the left is today! Does it not follow that these tactics work? It sure as hell does. And you wonder why there are idiots on the right who are doing the same thing today? They do it because sadly... it works.

Immie
You're disillusioned if you think that uncivil tactics were the key to the defeat of the Bush/Neo-Con regime. Their defeat was the direct result of their own actions and words.

Sort of...but it was more than that. The 60's marked a sea-change in attitudes and behavior. Parents who grew up in the 60's raised children under a different set of values. Their children were raised with a right to "express themselves" regardless of consequences and the individual's freedom to do what they want should not be constrained by "manners". Social rules were overturned and torn apart and they are still in a flux. What's ironic is we have "conservatives" - the defenders of "tradition" mocking those very "traditions" by their behavior.

We are reaping the legacy of the 60's. That's not to say it's all bad - some things needed to change, but the baby was thrown out with the bathwater.

I have 6 siblings, all of which were raised in the 1960's. My brothers are as 'old school' a parent as you will ever find. Two of my sisters tried the 'new age' child rearing and the other two are somewhere in between. So, just in my family alone, your generalization breaks down. I can only imagine how badly it breaks down when applied to the general public.

And it was the left wing of two years ago... your point is?

Immie

"And it was the left wing of two years ago... your point is?"

if you are suggesting that conservatives were NOT using these "words" 2 years ago then I am afraid you are very much mistaken.

unlike you
I have been paying attention since the late 1980's when roger ailles first put rush limbaugh on every radio station in the country

cons have ALWAYS behaved like this

the only difference that I can see is now they are even MORE vitriolic in their speech.

That is not what I said.

What I said was that through the years of the Bush Admin, the left was doing the exact same thing that RW is claiming is so bad from the right today and... get this... look where the left is today! Get it? Where is the left today? They are on top of the world and they have screwed every American and are doing their damnedest to make every American smile as they withdraw.

That is the point. When the right was in power the left was just as vitriolic as the right is today and now the left is in power and they don't like that those mean old conservatives are being nasty to their messiah.

And during the years of Bush, the right was on the defensive as the left is today. Two years ago, the right was not name calling anywhere near as bad as the left was.

For you to even suggest that the left-wing is innocent in this is nothing short of unbelievable. It is also unbelievable that you would accuse all cons of behaving in such a manner. Liberals are no different. You have your Randi Rhodes and cons have their Rush Limbaughs. As far as I am concerned both of those groups could disappear and life would be so much better.

Immie

There are some misguided chumps on any side of any issue.

Some libs insisted that President Bush was very much like Adolph Hitler. Stupid shit thing to say, but some libs said it anyway. Should all libs be tarred for that imbecility demonstrated by the few?

A whack job on the right MAYBE said that a black Congressman was a "******." Foul odious speech. But IF actually said by a genuine member of the right side of the political spectrum (and not a liberoidal plant), then why should all conservatives accept being smeared by that same brush? I didn't say it. I didn't call the homosexual Congress-critter a "faggot." So, with all due respect, I think I'll take a pass on the cheap theatrical efforts of poseurs on the left (like the falsely named "rightwinter") to assign blame to me or anybody else on the right who didn't say such things.

Just look at the majority of republican comments on this forum, no wonder their politicians act like scum, look at their constituents. WAr and killing thousands is the good, patriotic thing to support.

Obama is a Republican?

If not, he has been in office for over a year, yet American GI's are slaughtering ferenners and are also being slaughtered in the process in AfPak and Iraq.

Obama and the dems for trying to pass legislation to help actual americans get healthcare, .

I wouldn't criticize him for that.

I criticize him for adopting Marxist legislation in order to impress the parasites and the communists in an effort to get re-elected.

Forum List

Back