~Incarcerated~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Do you currently know any friends or family who are incarcerated, in a Federal Correctional Facility??
Not a county jail, but prison.

I recently found out my ex brother-in-law's son was sent to FCI Memphis, he is to serve 5 years for a crime he committed.
I was shocked to say the least, I never expected that. He is my youngest son's age, only 27.
His Mother and I have remained friends even after we both divorced out of the family (our ex husbands are brothers)...and she is a having a hard time coping right now.

Damn, I feel like I wanna write the young man, but not sure what the hell to say :dunno:

There is county, which is jail. States maintain their own prison system as do the feds.

If you're interested in the federal system, no, I know no one in the federal system.

Last edited:
I have a cousin who was once in prison in North Carolina for home burglary. Seems he thought he would make a career out of breaking into people's houses when they were not at home. One day he broke into a place only to find the owner still there and was held captive by gun point until the police arrived. He did six years in prison. He has not led a stellar life. Currently he is involved in drugs - use and sales. He has his whole body covered with tattoos and has a big bushy beard and long hair. He has no job but drives an older model corvette and always seems to have money for the things that he wants or needs. I am certain that it is just a matter of time before he is either killed by the drug users and suppliers he is in cahoots with or before he returns to jail for some crime. He has wasted his life.

Do you currently know any friends or family who are incarcerated, in a Federal Correctional Facility??

I recently found out my ex brother-in-law's son was sent to FCI Memphis, he is to serve 5 years for a crime he committed.
I was shocked to say the least, I never expected that. He is my youngest son's age, only 27.
His Mother and I have remained friends even after we both divorced out of the family (our ex husbands are brothers)...and she is a having a hard time coping right now.

Damn, I feel like I wanna write the young man, but not sure what the hell to say :dunno:

Tell him never bend to pick up a dropped bar of soap. ;)

Seriously, my stepson was in prison for many years. He went in a wild-assed punk, and came out a hard-working citizen ready to make a decent life for himself. No, prison isn't fun, it's life-altering, but like everything else in this world it can be a learning experience.

Tell him to view this as an opportunity to grow as a person by accepting the consequence of his actions with maturity. That will serve him well throughout his life.

No relatives in prison, but I worked in a couple of prisons in my career. Some inmates I saw were hardened criminals, others were kids who just got in with the wrong crowd.

He will need to learn to protect himself. Maybe he already knows. Whatever he does to stay safe shouldn't not be held against him when he gets out. If they have education or other programs he should involve himself in those even if tempted to sleep through them. It's a change of scenery if nothing else. . It will tell the staff he is trying. And NEVER put hands on an officer. If that happened where I worked the inmate was on lock down 23/7 for an undetermined amount of time after, sometimes years. But some did that so they COULD be on lock down and away from the other.

He may have a TV if someone is willing to pay. He won't have a phone and cell phones are generally contraband. Where I worked the inmates did all the cleaning in our clinic. But it was safe there and better than sitting in a cell 23 hours/day. I have watched inmates clean the same 30 square feet of floor for an entire day. I also know of one who put floor stripper in the soap dispensers.

If he isn't busy, you cannot begin to imagine the boredom that sets in and some become psychotic from it. He should be aware there are mental health services available. Some sign up just to have a change of scenery for a day every month.

By all means, write to him. Do so with the understanding that every word you say will be read by prison staff. Just let him know you think of him and pray for him. Don't ask questions. His answers could get him in trouble.

Last edited:

It is not that hard to break a federal law. The average American probably commits about 3 felonies a day.

Other misunderstandings of the Web criminalize the exercise of First Amendment rights. A Saudi student in Idaho was charged in 2003 with offering "material support" to terrorists. He had operated Web sites for a Muslim charity that focused on normal religious training, but was prosecuted on the theory that if a user followed enough links off his site, he would find violent, anti-American comments on other sites. The Internet is a series of links, so if there's liability for anything in an online chain, it would be hard to avoid prosecution.

L. Gordon Crovitz: You Commit Three Felonies a Day - WSJ.com

Why assume that FCI Memphis does not have access to USMB? I might be your ex brother-in-law's son .....chuckle

Way back when I had a cousin who was in State prison. He liked books.
Find out what his inmate address is and send him a door stopper per month. You have to send them from Amazon or Borders or a similar store, and they have to be paperback.

Good suggestions are
Les Miserables
War and Peace
Anna Karenina
The complete stories of O Henry
Roughing It
by Mark Twain

Knew some guys that did time in Marion Federal. It was a hellhole back then. Memphis though is a medium security prison. BOP: FCI Memphis

Prisoners are thrilled to get any mail and he would probably be the same. They have vocational/educational programs there and may even have college. There is an orientation booklet on the link for that prison and it goes into more detail if you want to read it. It will even give lockdown time, correspondence limits and stuff like that. I believe Federal prisoners do something like 85% of their time if they have good conduct.

Like it was said before, some of them come out and lead a good life and stay out of trouble, some don't. A lot of it depends on how their heads are when they go in. Gangs are rampant in all the prison systems now and if he gets involved with them, forget it. And if you do correspond beware being asked to do something illegal. Some prisoners are pressured by others, maybe to pay a debt or something, to get people to send cellphones and other stuff in.

Knew some guys that did time in Marion Federal. It was a hellhole back then. Memphis though is a medium security prison. BOP: FCI Memphis

Prisoners are thrilled to get any mail and he would probably be the same. They have vocational/educational programs there and may even have college. There is an orientation booklet on the link for that prison and it goes into more detail if you want to read it. It will even give lockdown time, correspondence limits and stuff like that. I believe Federal prisoners do something like 85% of their time if they have good conduct.

Like it was said before, some of them come out and lead a good life and stay out of trouble, some don't. A lot of it depends on how their heads are when they go in. Gangs are rampant in all the prison systems now and if he gets involved with them, forget it. And if you do correspond beware being asked to do something illegal. Some prisoners are pressured by others, maybe to pay a debt or something, to get people to send cellphones and other stuff in.

Thank you zzzz...especially for the link!!!
I did know FCI Memphis was medium security, but wasn't sure how to find out about the place itself. I was sure there is more than one prison in Memphis :-/
Last I heard, they were trying to get him moved to a minimum security, but not sure how that's working out.
Yes, they say he's scared. Something about gang bangers and this "something brotherhood" are wanting him to join a gang or are after him...I do not know all the details.
I know his Mother is worried sick, as I know I would be. Whether or not you feel your child did the crime, a Mother is gonna worry.
His Dad....eh...he doesn't seem to care at all.

Thanks zzzz.....

Why assume that FCI Memphis does not have access to USMB? I might be your ex brother-in-law's son .....chuckle

Percy!
Leave it to you to start my early day off with a big smile :razz:

No relatives in prison, but I worked in a couple of prisons in my career. Some inmates I saw were hardened criminals, others were kids who just got in with the wrong crowd.

He will need to learn to protect himself. Maybe he already knows. Whatever he does to stay safe shouldn't not be held against him when he gets out. If they have education or other programs he should involve himself in those even if tempted to sleep through them. It's a change of scenery if nothing else. . It will tell the staff he is trying. And NEVER put hands on an officer. If that happened where I worked the inmate was on lock down 23/7 for an undetermined amount of time after, sometimes years. But some did that so they COULD be on lock down and away from the other.

He may have a TV if someone is willing to pay. He won't have a phone and cell phones are generally contraband. Where I worked the inmates did all the cleaning in our clinic. But it was safe there and better than sitting in a cell 23 hours/day. I have watched inmates clean the same 30 square feet of floor for an entire day. I also know of one who put floor stripper in the soap dispensers.

If he isn't busy, you cannot begin to imagine the boredom that sets in and some become psychotic from it. He should be aware there are mental health services available. Some sign up just to have a change of scenery for a day every month.

By all means, write to him. Do so with the understanding that every word you say will be read by prison staff. Just let him know you think of him and pray for him. Don't ask questions. His answers could get him in trouble.

Thanks Sunshine...I do intend on writing him. He hasn't been in long, since May I think. But I found out he recently was married and he and his wife just had a baby a few months ago. (both before he went to prison).
His Dad surprises me too, he acts like he doesn't care, but his Mom is beside herself. Hell my own ex husband, this boy's Uncle, has said if I find out to get money sent to him, he would be happy to send money to his nephew.
I mean, nobody is denying he did the crime, so he has to do the time. But at the same time, I don't want to see him hurt in any way.
After giving all these replies some thought, I definitely will write, but will have to think of some things that are appropriate, and like you say, they will be read by others and I don't want to get him into trouble.
I would never have expected this from this boy!

Tell him never bend to pick up a dropped bar of soap. ;)

Seriously, my stepson was in prison for many years. He went in a wild-assed punk, and came out a hard-working citizen ready to make a decent life for himself. No, prison isn't fun, it's life-altering, but like everything else in this world it can be a learning experience.

Tell him to view this as an opportunity to grow as a person by accepting the consequence of his actions with maturity. That will serve him well throughout his life.

Thank you DiAnna!
Yes I have heard of horror stories about prison, both while IN and after they get OUT. But hopefully, he will learn what he has done was wrong and start himself into the right direction.
He was sentenced to 5 years, and I heard that he will be serving about 4 years.....not sure how that works. Long damn time tho :eek:

Last edited:
I just saw this guy on facebook who I grew up with that is in prison for life in California. Guy had a scholarship to play football and he killed a bum. Beat him to death.
I couldn't believe it. I have known a few other people who knew people but that is about it.

I was surprised you can have a facebook in prison, I am thinking someone set it up for him. He lists his address and asks people to write to him.

Forum List

Back