Inaugural benediction: Pray that “white will embrace what is right”

Fair enough. I don't think it was, in context.

i listened to the clip and i thought the whole thing was racist honestly.

i understand that 40 or 50 years ago the words were meant to be inspiring and not otherwise, but it just hasn't aged well. somehow though, i'll endeavor to persevere.

i listened to the clip and i thought the whole thing was racist honestly.

i understand that 40 or 50 years ago the words were meant to be inspiring and not otherwise, but it just hasn't aged well. somehow though, i'll endeavor to persevere.
Now I'm going to have to listen to it. All I really know is I had to pick up my daughter and two friends from school and they thought the guy looked like an Ewok.

How many white people marched with MLK? Not many.

To the sky dancers of the world -- and there are many -- whites were bad ab initio, continue to be bad, and deserve only complete eradication as a people. That's what they're supposed to "embrace": their own death as a people.

The speaker was talking about THIS country. Why is it taboo to talk about this in you peoples minds.

IT IS WHY IT HAS TAKEN US SO LONG TO RECOVER FROM THIS HISTORY

Because we have a black president elected by a majority of white voters and blacks are still screaming racism against whites. It seems the only race in this country that is not suppose to be proud of their race are the whites.

Racism against whites is still racism.

Fair enough. I don't think it was, in context.

I agree with you. I don' think the poem was racist. I think we have to take the age of the man speaking into account. What he has lived through!

Last edited by a moderator:
Because we have a black president elected by a majority of white voters and blacks are still screaming racism against whites. It seems the only race in this country that is not suppose to be proud of their race are the whites.

How was it racist against whites?

It has been whites (not all whites) who were in power all these years.

You people just refuse to understand that this stupid "never speak about racism" attitude has been what kept the shit going all these years.

Grow up and get a backbone that is able to accept reality.

So a few folk were insulted. Not all white people felt insulted by the poem. Having a POTUS who happens to be bi-racial is historic.
Mentioning the truth about race is not racism. Percieived insults are not racism.

Racism is institutionalized bias.

How many white people marched with MLK? Not many.

Not sure of your definition of "not many", but I know several whites who did and NONE of the blacks I know marched with him, then again, most of the blacks I know either weren't in this country or were too young to have marched with MLKjr.

4 white college students were killed for fighting for civil rights in the south. HUNDREDS of white college students came by bus and van to the south to march for civil rights. These students, for the most part, stayed with black families. It was an eye opening experience for them and the families they stayed with.

I know a couple of white families from the DC area that marched on Washington with MLKJr. My friends were just kids at the time, marching with their parents.

Now I'm pretty darn sure that I don't know EVERYONE who marched with MLKJr, therefore it makes sense to me that MANY whites marched with him.

So a few folk were insulted. Not all white people felt insulted by the poem.

Mentioning the truth about race is not racism. Percieived insults are not racism. Racism is institutionalized bias.

so the truth about race is that only white people need to embrace what is right ?

sigh...he was reciting a civil rights era poem, that when blah de blah de dah happened then things would be good. Well, blah de blah de dah happened...so things are good.

very nice but you didn't answer the question as usual.

So a few folk were insulted. Not all white people felt insulted by the poem.

Mentioning the truth about race is not racism. Percieived insults are not racism. Racism is institutionalized bias.

You mean like affirmative action? It is time for this stuff from the 60's to GEAUX!

"The history of African-Americans is such that you want to be a part of America, but we’ve been rejected so much it’s hard to take the ownership and take responsibility for ourselves and this country. It was like, at that second, at that moment, all of our excuses were gone." Will Smith

It is time for us all to move forward and beyond the past.

Not sure of your definition of "not many", but I know several whites who did and NONE of the blacks I know marched with him, then again, most of the blacks I know either weren't in this country or were too young to have marched with MLKjr.

4 white college students were killed for fighting for civil rights in the south. HUNDREDS of white college students came by bus and van to the south to march for civil rights. These students, for the most part, stayed with black families. It was an eye opening experience for them and the families they stayed with.

I know a couple of white families from the DC area that marched on Washington with MLKJr. My friends were just kids at the time, marching with their parents.

Now I'm pretty darn sure that I don't know EVERYONE who marched with MLKJr, therefore it makes sense to me that MANY whites marched with him.

More blacks than whites marched with MLK. Some whites did the right thing. Many did not. Many were threatened by MLK. I wasn't old enough to march with MLK but I marched with Coretta Scott King.

I remember when my high school was integrated. It was not a happy time. We had riots in our school and riot cops lined the outside of my high school all four years I attended.

Some whites in power obviously did the right thing. Many whites did not. We still have the choice to do the right thing now. The right thing is to see the progress we've made and not rest on our laurels.

Racism is NOT completely a condition of the past.

Mentioning the truth about race is not racism.

Try this one for size:

Blacks, as a group, have an IQ that is 15 points lower than that of whites. This difference has persisted since IQ tests were first administered en masse, by the Army in World War I, until today.

That's a "truth about race."

But you'd be surprised how many people consider that "racism."

I'm glad you came back. I was praying for you.

Mentioning the truth about race is not racism. Percieived insults are not racism.
What is the truth you're referring to? Is it that whites must embrace right? If so, I would say yes, *some* should because they haven't yet. As should some of every race. But making a statement that by all appearances includes all whites he's being racist because *some* whites have embraced right.

I think the test here is to substitute another race and see if it still works or if it becomes racist. I think it's racist no matter who it "insults".

I actually think the whole poem is pretty racist, just because the other admonishments weren't particularly negative doesn't mean they weren't generalizations about race that were inaccurate.

Racism is institutionalized bias.
No it's not. That would mean 1 person couldn't be racist all on their own, which seems like a pretty ridiculous notion. Unless I'm misunderstanding, then I'd like to hear where you think I've gone wrong.

What you're saying reminds me of a guy I heard once that insisted only white people could be racist because no one else had the power to be racist. Is this the sort of thing you're saying?

white people were killed for supporting MLKs efforts

Yes. That's true. Some whites were killed for doing the right thing with civil rights. How many white people were killed for marching with MLK? How many blacks were lynched?

I think some people view it as racist.

My understanding is he said:

There seems to be an assumption that white has not embraced what is right. If that's what he's saying it would seem to be a racist statement because of how it paints all whites as not embracing what is right.

What is your take?

IMO.......... it was racist and meant to be. No missunderstandings, he said and we got it. Too bad.

IMO.......... it was racist and meant to be. No missunderstandings, he said and we got it. Too bad.

Too bad that any reference to the truth about racism is an insult to some whites. Too bad you can't listen to an old preacher who lived before and during the civil rights movement and take the truth--however unpleasant it historically was.

That poem was not inherently racist; it did however, address racism.

Too bad that any reference to the truth about racism is an insult to some whites.

That poem was not inherently racist, it did however, address racism.

Yep, he and you are racist, by your own words. You mean to be 'caring', instead you are divisive.

Forum List

Back