In Your Opinion

you presume that families are demised. they're not. they've just changed some. but

women working.

once they had their own money, they didn't have to stay in terrible marriage because they couldn't afford to live on their own

and

anti-domestic violence initiatives and establishment of women's shelters that helped women out of abusive relationships.

and before you argue with me about it, statistics show that in large part, women leave when they've had enough; men don't generally leave until they have someone else to go to.

Thank you for your impressions. And why would I argue with anybody. It isn't really necessary, imo. :)

lol..well, look at the threads here.. my assumption is always that people are here to argue.

nice to meet you.

What caused the demise of the traditional family unit?

I say, first television and then entitlement programs. I am interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks, :)

AquaA*

My mother once asked my Grandma why she never left my grandfather. Her answer? "Well honey, I was going to once, but I couldn't figure out how to hitch up the horses." Ever since my mom was convinced the skyrocketing divorce rate was due to the fact that women can drive cars.

IMO television/Hollywood plays a part, so does welfare, but the biggest part is the lack of shame. Divorced people used to be looked down on. People didn't do it unless they had too. My aunt divorced her husband only after he left her with a child that had leukemia, to deal with her all by herself. Her second husband she remained married to for the rest of her life.

Also, if you come from a family where people have been divorced, your chance of divorce increases

The free love and free sex movement as well as the idea of "living together" has also changed things. This is not the same world I grew up in. It's sad too...at 5, my friend and I could walk around the neighborhood and still be safe, that doesn't apply today.

What caused the demise of the traditional family unit?

Greed. And it still continues today. I'm climbing up on my soap box. Years ago, the wife stayed home to raise the kids and was at home when they returned from school. In almost all cases, "Mama" knew where the kids were and what they were up to - for the most part. The husband worked to bring home the bacon and provide financially for the family. There were no credit cards so most people saved up for the things they wanted to buy and were patient enough to wait until they had saved the money to buy that special item. Along came credit cards and they were so easy to obtain and to use that many people began to live outside of their means and living the "big" life that normally was out of their financial reach. Their debt grew and grew and the next thing you know, one income was not enough for the average family. This is when the wife began to work away from the home to generate more income to pay for all the "toys" that the family just had to have to keep up with the Jones family down the street. We must all put on aires and show everybody how "well off" we are. Because "Mama" was not at home now to watch the kids, they began to get into things that they normally would not have because they were being supervised. Soon all of the family members were going their own way and even mealtime was not a center of the family any longer. This is when the family unit broke down and everybody began to focus on the "me" aspect instead of the "us" aspect of family life. IMO, it was all because of greed.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I had parents who are both deceased now but they, like you said worked for a living and even though we were poor I never knew it b/c they did everything they could to make me feel safe (I'm an only child). You know what it's like and I appreciate that you are honest about it.

Last edited:
you presume that families are demised. they're not. they've just changed some. but

women working.

once they had their own money, they didn't have to stay in terrible marriage because they couldn't afford to live on their own

and

anti-domestic violence initiatives and establishment of women's shelters that helped women out of abusive relationships.

and before you argue with me about it, statistics show that in large part, women leave when they've had enough; men don't generally leave until they have someone else to go to.

Thank you for your impressions. And why would I argue with anybody. It isn't really necessary, imo. :)

lol..well, look at the threads here.. my assumption is always that people are here to argue.

nice to meet you.

Jillian, I am very happy to meet you too and thank you for taking my response in the spirit it was intended. I will seldom if ever, waste my time, and if I do, it won't be to argue opinions.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." :)

Thanks for getting back to me. Your avy is *adorbs.*

Forum List

Back