In Your Opinion, What Would Create the Most Jobs?

Having worked in corporate America most of my working career, I find the adulation of corporations in several replies above rather naive. Corporations especially since Reagan operate mostly under the tenet of profit and not employee or union sanctions. Profit doesn't care about jobs obviously. Another aspect to jobs is technology. The Internet may be a great source of info, but it along with improved communications networks, moved lots of jobs where profit is greatest. Jobs are created by demand and the period after WWII where durable goods and homes grew like crazy was our golden economic age.

So then what now. Where is demand and where jobs. Having moved up the food chain I can tell you it ain't with lower taxes for the wealthy. After your third home and second Bentley, your overall contribution is nil, unless the Mexicans doing the yard work count and the expensive Bordeaux helps.

I am a buy America nutcase and think that is a place to start. Obviously made here counts too as it contributes. We don't want to get into tariff wars as we all lose, I kinda like some cheap things too, but I refuse to shop in Wal-mart because of their labor practices.

I agree with Edmund Phelps that employers who hire should receive subsidies. It is only in a balanced economy of sensible demand and full employment (say 5% un) that we can provide jobs for all. Plus we older farts need to retire, provided we can still feed the wives's clothing fetish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/business/07tax.html
Interview With Edmund Phelps - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

http://www.columbia.edu/~esp2/lowwage.pdf

A bit on corporate power.
Cornered | NewAmerica.net

MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
American Made Products Directory and list of United States Manufacturers -Made in USA
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
UAW Made Products
http://shopunionmade.org/

Last edited:
As a result of funding the Vietnam Conflict , the Ford Administration faced an economic crisis which required a new term to describe it: Stagflation. One would hope that future administrations would have learned that the failure to fund a war - in this case the Vietnam Conflict - by raising revenue and reducing other spending would eventually come back to harm our economy. Alas, Bush&Co CUT taxes and engaged and occupied Iraq at an enormous cost.

President Ford emplemented the WIN Program (whip inflation now) with little success; but, he and the Congress passed the Comprehensive Employment & Training Act (CETA) which provided local governments a financial incentive to hire and train the unemployed. This worked well but it took years for our economy to recover.

Reagan stimulated the economy by spending an enormous abount of money on our military, but failed to spent on domestic matters and our infrastructure suffered - see the pictures of the bridge to somewhere in Minn. which fell.

Obama is on the correct course, the Feds need to provide funds to local governments for jobs - first responders, probation, mental health workers, etc and for the repair and replacement of our nations infrastructure. Local government and State Government needs to spend the funds, not pay off debt yet.

As more people become employed, tax revenue will increase and demands on social services and the safety net will be reduced; only then does it make sense to reduce the public debt. To continue the conservative way is absurd IMHO, and will continue to impede recovery.

It's time for pragmatic solutions, the old conservative ideology will only exacerbate a bad situation.

Last edited:
all it really takes is consumer confidence

confidence on our part that things will get or are getting better....

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

it's all in the head folks....yep, yes it is....

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

Now that's what Hoover thought, just saying...

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

Thank You, Franklin Roosevelt.

I'm putting my confidence in the Easter Bunny this year.:tongue:

Having worked in corporate America most of my working career, I find the adulation of corporations in several replies above rather naive. Corporations especially since Reagan operate mostly under the tenet of profit and not employee or union sanctions. Profit doesn't care about jobs obviously. Another aspect to jobs is technology. The Internet may be a great source of info, but it along with improved communications networks, moved lots of jobs where profit is greatest. Jobs are created by demand and the period after WWII where durable goods and homes grew like crazy was our golden economic age.

So then what now. Where is demand and where jobs. Having moved up the food chain I can tell you it ain't with lower taxes for the wealthy. After your third home and second Bentley, your overall contribution is nil, unless the Mexicans doing the yard work count and the expensive Bordeaux helps.

I am a buy America nutcase and think that is a place to start. Obviously made here counts too as it contributes. We don't want to get into tariff wars as we all lose, I kinda like some cheap things too, but I refuse to shop in Wal-mart because of their labor practices.

I agree with Edmund Phelps that employers who hire should receive subsidies. It is only in a balanced economy of sensible demand and full employment (say 5% un) that we can provide jobs for all. Plus we older farts need to retire, provided we can still feed the wives's clothing fetish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/business/07tax.html
Interview With Edmund Phelps - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

http://www.columbia.edu/~esp2/lowwage.pdf

A bit on corporate power.
Cornered | NewAmerica.net

MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
American Made Products Directory and list of United States Manufacturers -Made in USA
Made in USA, Made in America, US, American-Made
UAW Made Products
Union Label

This is a completely incoherent. You trash corporations, and then advocate for tax breaks for employers. Uh...many employers ARE corporations.

Tax breaks do not benefit just the wealthy. The total tax burden on the median family as a percent of income has doubled since the 1950s. Governments at all levels are crushing the middle class with taxes.

One aspect to which you are obviously oblivious is that taxes that are originally justified as being For The Rich, end up being moved down to the middle and working classes. There aren't enough Rich To Soak to cover Big Government's aspirations.

The People Must Be Controlled (and by implication Taxed) as Dingall recently admitted.

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

Time to buy some HSY!

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

Hoover? "All we have to Fear, is Fear Itself?"

:eusa_eh:

Hoover, "The economy is fundamentally sound..." Ah your guy said that quote, then created the modern welfare state.

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

Time to buy some HSY!

LOL

If I didn't know better I'd wonder whether or not you were addicted to "What Not To Wear," and had become a slave to Hassan Sheheryar Yasin, or Hershy Chocolate.

I am never a Slave To Fashion...

Chocolate on the other hand........often has the upper hand.

:)

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

:eek:

hey....they track it for a REASON and have years and years and years of statistics now that supports such....

now, what measures were taken to give consumers confidence is a whole 'nuther' story...

with clinton it took the balanced budget act and higher taxes on some i believe, to show consumers that their gvt was going to focus on fiscal responsibility and curbing the gvt growing debt....

this spurns purchases...

this creates jobs...

hey....they track it for a REASON and have years and years and years of statistics now that supports such....

now, what measures were taken to give consumers confidence is a whole 'nuther' story...

with clinton it took the balanced budget act and higher taxes on some i believe, to show consumers that their gvt was going to focus on fiscal responsibility and curbing the gvt growing debt....

The Balanced Budget Act?

I wonder if it was the effect of Reagan/Bush Presidencies?

After all, as Obama says, the economy of today is the fault of the PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION, right?

The Balanced Budget Act?

After all, as Obama says, the economy of today is the fault of the PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION, right?

Get with the program, Sammy. Under the auspices of The One:

Everything Good is due to Obama.

Everything Bad is Bush, the GOP, and Evul Corporations' Fault.

The Balanced Budget Act?

Well they've passed 'pay go', they just are not using it. Confidence restored!

Yep. They think we won't notice that they say one thing and do another.

They're wrong.

Forum List

Back