In which country Americans are seen as welcome Guests

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Maybe UK, Ireland, Eastern-Europe?
What are your experiences?

And did you ever pretend to be of a different nationality (Canada?) whilst you were travelling abroad?

I never pretend to be anything other than an American. I travel all over Europe. Never had any problems with anyone, even in Muslim countries!

I think it's safe to say that American's (of all colours) will be welcome in most of Europe. They may encounter protests against America, but I seriously doubt they'd be singled-out because of American foreign policy in the middle east.

And if they were to encounter any hostility in countries that have suffered economic hardship as a result of military actions or trade embargoes, once they started flashing the green; those once fierce enemies of the west would become their best friends in a heartbeat.

In short, the dollar opens doors for mortals that Muhammad can only dream of.

You are always welcome in Australia mate.

And the first 5.9% Coopers sparkling beer is on us.

Mind you I was born in the USA, so my opinion is only representative of my ego.

That should cover all of Australia.

as a matter of fact when traveling with canadians and listening to a taxi driver...who was muslim....i announced i was american...rather loudly....from the back of the taxi....hell he was trashing bush ..which is one of my favorite sports...but i wasnt gonna listen to some muslim trash bush...while i was riding

oddly enough...i keep getting mistaken for south african.....

If you're polite, and don't act like you were hatched under a rock, you get treated the same, and are accepted everywhere..

Been to Russia, England, Scotland and Holland.

Never had any problems with nationality. But folks have an odd idea of what life is like here.

That said, none of those places were anything like what I imagined.

Never had any problems with nationality. But folks have an odd idea of what life is like here.

Yes, but I suppose you have Asian roots.
Although you are 100% American, for foreigners you are not the classical definition of an American. A classical definition of an American on which to decide if he is welcome or not in a foreign country, is made by political interpretations of our time.
A foreigner does never see an Asian-American on news dividing the world into different Axis. And you don't see in news any Asian-American declaring war on other countries.

You are a minority group, and you are not perceived to have any negative influence.

Stephen King has a short story on "the ugly American" phenom. A middle aged couple with atrocious manners travels to a Mexican resort and acts the fool. One morning they wake up and it's Reverse-o Land...they have to be the maid and landscaper, they get ridiculed for their crappy Spanish, etc. The story must be like 30 years old now...can't recollect the title. Like all his stuff, it was creepy as hell.

I've only been to Canada, and as best I can tell, they like us fine but think we're loud, dirty and rude....kinda like cousins one tolerates at a family reunion but doesn't feature as the family's bestest effort.

Yes, but I suppose you have Asian roots.
Although you are 100% American, for foreigners you are not the classical definition of an American. A classical definition of an American on which to decide if he is welcome or not in a foreign country, is made by political interpretations of our time.
A foreigner does never see an Asian-American on news dividing the world into different Axis. And you don't see in news any Asian-American declaring war on other countries.

You are a minority group, and you are not perceived to have any negative influence.

Let's reverse this now Ekrem. How many countries open their arms to Turkish travelers? How welcome are they in foreign lands?

And did you ever pretend to be of a different nationality (Canada?) whilst you were travelling abroad?

No..but it did cause me to get a polite, but angry earful from a carpet merchant in Istanbul.

No..but it did cause me to get a polite, but angry earful from a carpet merchant in Istanbul.

There actually are carpet merchants in Turkey? I thought that was a myth. Gotta go PM ekrem.....

My experiences...

Canada..never had any problems.
Mexico - particularily hospitible. But that has a lot to do with their culture. Most Mexicans love America and welcome Americans.
Germany - mostly welcoming. In cities near military bases you get a little flack.

In Mexico the farther you get from the border the more everyone assumes you are wealthy. Particularily in deep Mexico - there impression of America is we all live in palaces and have everything we could possibly desire.
In Germany if there are any assumptions it is Americans think they know more than anyone else - this of course is based on absolutely nothing. In my experience with Europeans that came here - found America to be VERY different than they thought. Remarks I have heard is how open we are to them and how people, if anything, fall over themselves to help them out if they get lost etc.

Let's reverse this now Ekrem. How many countries open their arms to Turkish travelers? How welcome are they in foreign lands?

Good question. A possible answer consists of 2 view angels:
- 1. Turkish immigrants, living in N'th generation in Europe. They are also called 'Almanci' / 'Those from the Germans'.
We can exclude them from this thread, as immigrants live permanently in foreign countries and what happens with them there is regionalism.

- 2. Normal Turks living in Turkey and going for holiday or business to other countries: It depends where you travel, but generally there are no resentment against you, be it Greece or Russia.
Then, there are countries, with which Turks share same ethnic, dialect or common history. In these countries, you are indeed welcomed with open arms - From Bosnia to Turkmenistan.

The only foreign country I ever visit that doesn't seem to like Americans is in the former CSA states.

Forum List

Back