In what way do you want free speech regulated?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr.Drock, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    1.) The $354 million dollar FCC (that's a 1 year budget btw) in order to regulate every word in every version of media to make sure we don't have too naughty of words or too much of someone's bottom showing.

2.) The Fairness Doctrine, which tells media outlets what hosts to have on and what shows to play.

3.) Have Congress pass laws that makes unpopular speech illegal, such as the Westboro chants, Muslim speeches by certain individuals, KKK parades etc.

Do you approve of any of these 3 items? None? Another item I didn't list?

2. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    None of the above.

3. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Free speech from you ends at my nose, when you come to me to tell voice your view which is different from mine you run the risk of my taking some type of action. Westboro made accusation about the solider that were not supported by any evidence, this is not free speech it is slander and not protected.. The Supreme Court should be ashamed of themselves.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    The Westboro protests at military funerals should be stopped. If the government won't do it, I hope American citizens are not held responsible for taking matters into their own hands to stop them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Sig, today's internet tough guy, wants hate speech regulated. I assume you want all hate speech regulated in terms of people hating soldiers, or hating gays, or hating muslims, or hating christians, etc etc etc. How much US taxpayer dollars should be committed to creating a new agency that regulates and defines what speech should be illegal and how long of prison terms and what size fines are handed out?

Vayank is hoping for violence and for government to allow this. Let's just let a 2 mobs fight it out in the streets, that sounds rational.

6. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Heard a good theory on this. From a friend of mine.

He said leave it to states to be able to pass a law banning any speech that "Intentionally attempts to provoke an emotional response from a targeted private group". So just walking around in public saying "God sucks" wouldn't be it. Targeting a funeral would. Targeting government action isn't a private group, thus, it is allowed.

BUT he added if it was his law, he'd also include: The charges is NOT jailable. Therefore, only a ticket could be issued, no jail at all on scene. Second, the charge would carry a mandatory jury trial. Thus, only a group of peers could determine if the speech was bad enough. I think Westboro would get convicted. The Tea Party or Union protestors would have almost no chance of being convicted by a jury of that type of speech, and both were targeting government, not a private group.

Anyway, his idea had some problems, but I thought it was a good starting point. Not a jailable offense, mandatory jury trial, only for targeted private groups or locations. Not a bad start.

7. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The first, best and indeed ONLY answer to "bad" speech is, MORE SPEECH. Never, ever less.

8. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    That sounds like a slippier slope than a ski hill.

Couldn't a guy who beats his wife say he did it because the things she said caused him to do it?

This is what happens when people ask for more government and more regulation, never works out well for the taxpayers.

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    #2 is liberals trying to kill conservative media. Anyone says otherwise is lying or just ignorant.

#1 and 3) Sadly such groups won't self regulate. Individuals used to have to self regualte b/c there were consequences to going to far. "You have offended my honor!! It's pistols at dawn." So if you went into the media, you either knew how to fight or you were carefull about what you said. We have laws against defending your honor now, so now we end up with laws that regualate speech.

10. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I'd rather use my remote to "defend my honor" or my dollar bill to choose which paper I buy, or use my dial to control which radio station I have on.

Those all sound like better ideas to me as a loony fiscal conservative than dumping $354 million taxpayer dollars into it.