In what house of congress did this "tax" legislation originate?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Did it originate in the Senate? If so, why didn't SCOTUS have an Article One issue with that?

Has someone started a thread on this aspect already? If so, I apologize - the search engine doesn't work for 3-letter words.

• Banned
It started in the House.

I thought it was the Senate. Wiki seems to agree with me:

PPACA passed the Senate on December 24, 2009, by a vote of 60–39 with all Democrats and two Independents voting for, and all but one Republican voting against.[10] It passed the House of Representatives on March 21, 2010, by a vote of 219–212, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against the bill.[11]

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It started in the House.

PPACA passed the Senate on December 24, 2009, by a vote of 60–39 with all Democrats and two Independents voting for, and all but one Republican voting against.[10] It passed the House of Representatives on March 21, 2010, by a vote of 219–212, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against the bill.[11]

That's when they voted on it, NOT when it originated. If it was a problem, don't you think the SC would have addressed it?

• Banned
It started in the House.

That's when they voted on it, NOT when it originated. If it was a problem, don't you think the SC would have addressed it?

I'm not sure what to expect from this court.

.... reading a little more ....

Now I see what happened. The Senate took a tax-related bill from the House which had nothing to do with ACA and completely changed it. What a bastardization of the intent of Article One.

Last edited:
It started in the House.

USSC doesn't entertain points not brought up in arguments.

• Banned

USSC doesn't entertain points not brought up in arguments.

Appears that they took the shell of the Senate legislation from a House bill.

Like taking an egg from one species and replacing the contents with the genetic material of another.

Forum List

Back