In the words of RR "Are you better of today

Aside from market fluctuations, which are expected (but still averaging nicely over a decade), I am much happier, relaxed, and financially secure than I have ever enjoyed. I wish there were no wars, disease, famine, violence nor drugs in the world...but my home is happy.

I said the same to my sister in 2007. Her husband hadn't worked in three years. They sold their second car. After many attempts, finally refinanced the mortgage. Gas prices went through the roof and their kitchen table which used to enjoy lamb and wine was then topped with hot dogs and Maccheese. I asked if she was prepared to send her son to fight the wars she supported? I asked if her life was better and would she vote for Bush again. Her reponse was an empathic "YES", blind partisanship swings on both sides of the spectrum.

She voted for Bush in 2008?

of course, not. it was a hypothetical question to my sister.

It was 2008 when the gas prices went wild. in the second 1/2 of 08 when W was ready to open up drilling here, gas got below 2.00 a gallon
I hate your faimly had a hard time. It is strange that we were at a 4.6% UE rate at the same time in 07

How r they now? better I hope

exactly what magic trick could obama have done that would have fixed the fundamental problems in the economy?

how do you believe anything would have been different had he not been elected?

You just have to make that assumption. I mean there is no way things could be worse, is there? And yes, there is a bit of sarcasm in my voice. The truth is things could be much worse. We really don't know. However, a good argument can be made that without the stimulus and without bailing out GM and Chrysler, and without a lot of things that have been done, we might actually be in worse shape. The problem is there is no way to prove it one way or the other.

What I do know is that approximately 90% of those who want to work are currently working, and that includes me. I'm not doing what I want to be doing, but I am working and getting by for the time being. I also am now able to purchase health insurance, something I could not do after I moved from Colorado to Ohio, due to pre-existing conditions, even though I had insurance in Colorado.

So am I better off now than four years ago? For me personally, it's about a wash. The health insurance thing is a big plus though.

Better off and you moved to Ohio? Wow.

She voted for Bush in 2008?

of course, not. it was a hypothetical question to my sister.

It was 2008 when the gas prices went wild. in the second 1/2 of 08 when W was ready to open up drilling here, gas got below 2.00 a gallon
I hate your faimly had a hard time. It is strange that we were at a 4.6% UE rate at the same time in 07

How r they now? better I hope

muach better thank you, we all chipped in to float them. it was a rough patch, but they are over the hump.

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
we had a deficit that was 163 billion
the DJIA was 14,000

do we really want 4 more years of this?
all of the spin in the world cannot change that

I'm better off today; I was smart enough to close out my deferred compensation when GWB began to cut taxes and increase spending. I was able to pay off my oldest son's college loans and buy my youngest son and his wife a home.

I watched Reagan mortgage the ranch and create a huge national debt, cut middle class wages and benefits, and redistribute the wealth so that the rich got richer. It was obvious what was happening so in the 80's I bought precious metal. When Clinton came to town I went to stocks, worked real well until Jr. came to town;. Holy shit, what an incompetent! Cut taxes, wage war and piss on the working men and women. I went back to gold, and that worked out very well.

Whenever the R's come to power invest in gold. The power elite does, and so should the rest of us.

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
the DJIA was 14,000

I don't let politicians determine my success.
I'm better of than I was 4 years ago, 8 years ago, 12 years ago, 16 years ago, 20 years ago, 24 years ago, 28 years ago, 32 years ago, 36 years ago, 40 years ago.

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
the DJIA was 14,000

I'm better off today; I was smart enough to close out my deferred compensation when GWB began to cut taxes and increase spending. I was able to pay off my oldest son's college loans and buy my youngest son and his wife a home.

I watched Reagan mortgage the ranch and create a huge national debt, cut middle class wages and benefits, and redistribute the wealth so that the rich got richer. It was obvious what was happening so in the 80's I bought precious metal. When Clinton came to town I went to stocks, worked real well until Jr. came to town;. Holy shit, what an incompetent! Cut taxes, wage war and piss on the working men and women. I went back to gold, and that worked out very well.

Whenever the R's come to power invest in gold. The power elite does, and so should the rest of us.

This working man brought home about 30k more from 01-2010 than he would have
I dont feel pissed on

I do not recall W starting those wars. Both had reasons that were not Ws
And as far as stocks go, I recall the nasdaq bubble being a serious issue as well as stocks doing grand until the GOP lost congress, I mean if we are going to blame pilitics on greed in the private sector, then lets dont allow the other 1/2 of that truth to get away

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
the DJIA was 14,000

I'm better of than I was 4 years ago, 8 years ago, 12 years ago, 16 years ago, 20 years ago, 24 years ago, 28 years ago, 32 years ago, 36 years ago, 40 years ago.

I went 800 miles to keep working
Its not about the determination, its about were will be 4 years from now. Do you think our tax rate will be able to stay the same? have you had to pay taxes under Clinton and then under W? Have U any hope of the stock market (401ks) being stable for our kids like it was for others?
Its like I tell people about this race baiting that is become SOP from the left, its ok until it happens to you
Its scary that we have some who think there so secure, trust me we cannot keep going like this
I wish every-one thought like you and I, we would not be in this mess

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
the DJIA was 14,000

This working man brought home about 30k more from 01-2010 than he would have
I dont feel pissed on

I do not recall W starting those wars. Both had reasons that were not Ws
And as far as stocks go, I recall the nasdaq bubble being a serious issue as well as stocks doing grand until the GOP lost congress, I mean if we are going to blame pilitics on greed in the private sector, then lets dont allow the other 1/2 of that truth to get away

Bush Jr. was an incompetent, anyone who doubts that is a fool. I posted what I did based on my evaluation of the times at the time. I'm not a professional investor, and I don't trust those who claim to be able to predict the future. See my signature line, it expresses how I perceive the financial services sector.

exactly what magic trick could obama have done that would have fixed the fundamental problems in the economy?

I do know the year he spent making speeches on Health Care Reform, I kept asking just WHEN is he going to talk about the economy and address the unemployment??? We were in dire financial straits and he had the audacity to change the subject!

Our financial problems led to a world crisis. Countries begged us to stop the spending and get our house in order. I do not think for a minute that we would have experienced the lowering of our rating or the deepening of the crisis had he spent that time looking for answers from experts outside of the administration.

Health Care Reform could have waited months or even a year. But the economy and people without incomes could not.

Than 4 years ago?
4 years ago we had 5% UE
the DJIA was 14,000

I went 800 miles to keep working
Its not about the determination, its about were will be 4 years from now. Do you think our tax rate will be able to stay the same? have you had to pay taxes under Clinton and then under W? Have U any hope of the stock market (401ks) being stable for our kids like it was for others?
Its like I tell people about this race baiting that is become SOP from the left, its ok until it happens to you
Its scary that we have some who think there so secure, trust me we cannot keep going like this
I wish every-one thought like you and I, we would not be in this mess

Too many have some sort of warped perception of life that thinks the government is supposed to take care of them or make everything all better for them, just like mommy did when they were a child.
As long as that type of attitude exists in the voting public, the rest of us are screwed.

I do know the year he spent making speeches on Health Care Reform, I kept asking just WHEN is he going to talk about the economy and address the unemployment??? We were in dire financial straits and he had the audacity to change the subject!

Our financial problems led to a world crisis. Countries begged us to stop the spending and get our house in order. I do not think for a minute that we would have experienced the lowering of our rating or the deepening of the crisis had he spent that time looking for answers from experts outside of the administration.

Health Care Reform could have waited months or even a year. But the economy and people without incomes could not.

In retrospect health care reform could have waited. Suggesting the rising cost of health care didn't impact the entire economy is wrong. If Obama had studied efforts by the Clinton Administration to reform health care in America he would have known the special interests would never surrender their golden goose. Sadly, Obama cares about Americans and their children and put them before himself, his party and his reelection. How foolish.

Last edited:
In the words of RR.........................

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbJ-Fs1ikA]Reagan--No Loopholes For Millionaires - YouTube[/ame]

haven't seen this one on the networks, have ya?

Ain't it wonderful?!!

I was so hoping to hear Rush play that clip. His side commentary would have been scorching.

Thank you so much for posting this clip. Please, start a thread so that all can see how so far right of Ronald Reagan the GOP has moved in this first decade of the 21st Century. I suspect many of the New Right who post on this message board are simply parrots, posting president Reagans's comments might, possibly, hopefully, cause them to pause and actually think.

Nah......they always have the "times have changed" argument. You know.....the one that works for any time period AFTER the USC was penned.

be my guest........start a thread with it if youy like.

Nah......they always have the "times have changed" argument. You know.....the one that works for any time period AFTER the USC was penned.

be my guest........start a thread with it if youy like.

They also are willfully ignorant and fear hearing anything which might disabuse them of the right wing dogma which they hold as immutable truths.

Forum List

Back