in the eyes of the catholic church and god, what is the status of usa soliders iniraq

blu

Sep 21, 2009
I have been reading up on the just war doctrine, specifically the vatican's response to iraq.

Based on numerous articles such as this one:

Catholic Just War Theory and Iraq

it is clear that the vatican was against the war. where does this leave usa soldiers who are going to iraq to fight? I would think that once they are there, any killing on the field who fall under self defense, but what about pre-deployment? From what I know, jesus said that you follow your govs rules as long as they don't break his. Seeing how catholics believe that the pope is infallible (one to one with god on things he says related to the church), aren't catholic soliders out of line with their church if they deploy to iraq knowing they will be killing. should they take the religious objector way out?

in the eyes of the catholic church and god, what is the status of usa soliders iniraq
//

I Don't know and don't really care.
Does it matter?

//

Does it matter?

considering we have catholic soldiers fighting & waiting to be deployed to that war I wuold think it matters. why did you even respond?

I have been reading up on the just war doctrine, specifically the vatican's response to iraq.

Based on numerous articles such as this one:

Catholic Just War Theory and Iraq

it is clear that the vatican was against the war. where does this leave usa soldiers who are going to iraq to fight? I would think that once they are there, any killing on the field who fall under self defense, but what about pre-deployment? From what I know, jesus said that you follow your govs rules as long as they don't break his. Seeing how catholics believe that the pope is infallible (one to one with god on things he says related to the church), aren't catholic soliders out of line with their church if they deploy to iraq knowing they will be killing. should they take the religious objector way out?

st augustine developed a theology of just war, that is, war that is acceptable under certain conditions. First, war must occur for a good and just purpose rather than for self-gain or as an exercise of power. Second, just war must be waged by a properly instituted authority such as the state. Third, peace must be a central motive even in the midst of violence.

this is a very simplified but fairly accurate statement of catholic teaching on war. google st thomas aquinas summa theoligica for more.

imo, iraq meets the criteria for a just war, although i opposed it and continue to do so

//

Does it matter?

considering we have catholic soldiers fighting & waiting to be deployed to that war I wuold think it matters. why did you even respond?

If it is that much of a problem for them, why would they join the military in the first place?

//

Does it matter?

If it is that much of a problem for them, why would they join the military in the first place?

It's not a problem for them. Lots of Catholics join the military. Blu is clearly either bored or stupid.... or possibly a balance of the two.

It's not a problem for them. Lots of Catholics join the military. Blu is clearly either bored or stupid.... or possibly a balance of the two.

I figured as much!
Plus all they have to do is go to confessional and all will be fine. ;)
That is one good thing about the Catholic religion, you can always ask for forgiveness.

I figured as much!
Plus all they have to do is go to confessional and all will be fine. ;)
That is one good thing about the Catholic religion, you can always ask for forgiveness.

True. We do have the 'get out of jail free' card. :cool: Downside is you do have to be sorry - and you can't fool God. :eek:

Actually, thinking about it..... I need to haul ass back to confession and mean it this time. :eusa_whistle:

The Catholics I know who are serving in Afghanistan humbly disagree with the Pope. From my last conversation with them, both firmly believe that "Killing Taliban Motherfuckers" is a moral imperative.

If only the Catholic Church had practiced it's high ideals of today in it's violent and bloodsoaked past.
If it regained significant political power, it would return to its old ways.

Take it from an ex-Catholic...the Cardinals remain shrewd power-brokers. They rule with an iron fist.

Last edited:
The Catholics I know who are serving in Afghanistan humbly disagree with the Pope. From my last conversation with them, both firmly believe that "Killing Taliban Motherfuckers" is a moral imperative.

a real answer!

so breaking with the vatican and the pope is okay with most catholics? I think you are the stupid one as shown by your posts across this board

so breaking with the vatican and the pope is okay with most catholics? I think you are the stupid one as shown by your posts across this board

Breaking with the vatican is only okay for what is called "buffet Catholics".

Those are the ones who still consider themselves Catholic (many are regular attendees at mass and many are even priests) but they also believe that they can choose or reject the parts of the faith that they like or dislike. That is the majority, BTW. They're no longer true Catholics, but in their confusion they still proudly wear and defend the Catholic label.

As far as Iraq being a just war, I have video of our government telling the United Nations that we have evidence of WMD's in Iraq. I have video of the US Government telling the world that Saddam Hussein was the same typoe of terrorist who struck us on 9/11. And I have video of the US Government presenting evidence that Iraq had been purchasing yellow cake from Africa to pursue a nuclear program.

In the time since those three serious claims were presented by the US government and used as the justification to topple the Iraqi government, with the resulting deaths of over 1 million Iraqi citizens - most of them civilians - and the displacement of millions more families from decimated cities, it has been determined that the evidence used as a justification for war was categorically false. There is even an official government inquiry taking place in the UK at this very minute to determine how the UK became involved in such deception under the leadership of Tony Blair.

So not only has the Iraq war been determined to be unjust by the Vatican. It's also been shown to be a crime by the political leadership who presented false evidence to convince the American people that we need to bankrupt our nation and send our children to kill and die against a threat that never existed.

The moral evil conducted by the US government as a result of the Iraq war is simply incalculable.

Based upon 1) the findings of the Vatican, and 2) the determination that the US grounds for invasion of Iraq were entirely false, it's my opinion that any Catholic who is aware of either circumstance has recused his or her self from living the message of the Gospel. In other words, they have turned their back on Christianity, no matter how often they pray or attend Mass etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
so breaking with the vatican and the pope is okay with most catholics?
You'd be hard pressed to find an American Catholic who obeyed the Vatican 100% in their personal life. Also worth noting, American Catholics are 60% white and 30% Hispanic.

Dominate religions, by state:
Religions_of_the_US.PNG

If only the Catholic Church had practiced it's high ideals of today in it's violent and bloodsoaked past.
If it regained significant political power, it would return to its old ways.

Take it from an ex-Catholic...the Cardinals remain shrewd power-brokers. They rule with an iron fist.

everybody's crazy bout a sharp dressed man

151820__si_l.jpg

Forum List

Back