In Stimulus Debate, Obama Drifts Into Campaign Mode

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
President Obama is facing growing questions about his tone and the effectiveness of his leadership after he spent Thursday night mocking his political rivals and accusing them of playing games with the economic stimulus.

In an off-the-cuff moment during his speech to House Democrats at a retreat in Virginia, the president ribbed Republicans, including former rival John McCain, who call the recovery package a "spending bill."

"So then you get the argument, 'well, this is not a stimulus bill, this is a spending bill.' What do you think a stimulus is? That's the whole point," Obama said to laughter.

In Stimulus Debate, Obama Drifts Into Campaign Mode - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

He reduced himself from being president of all the American people to being the partisan leader of the left," former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich said of Obama's Thursday night speech. "The first month of your presidency is not a very good time to give a campaign speech

President Obama is facing growing questions about his tone and the effectiveness of his leadership after he spent Thursday night mocking his political rivals and accusing them of playing games with the economic stimulus.

In an off-the-cuff moment during his speech to House Democrats at a retreat in Virginia, the president ribbed Republicans, including former rival John McCain, who call the recovery package a "spending bill."

"So then you get the argument, 'well, this is not a stimulus bill, this is a spending bill.' What do you think a stimulus is? That's the whole point," Obama said to laughter.

He reduced himself from being president of all the American people to being the partisan leader of the left," former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich said of Obama's Thursday night speech. "The first month of your presidency is not a very good time to give a campaign speech

Obama is definitely showing increased signs of stress.

He has little to no experience having to defend his positions in the role of an executive, and now is facing the daunting task of doing just that.

When pressured, as he is now, he has fallen back into his comfort zone, which is to simply give a campaign-like partisan speech to a partisan crowd and hope the mainstream media projects it as a moment of strength and "passion".

Some of that spin is now taking place in today's news cycle, but not nearly as fervent as during the campaign.

The Democrat Party, despite all its election success, is in chaos mode right now - due in great part to a clear lack of mature defining leadership from Mr. Obama.

i actually feel sorry for him ....... he is a concensus builder type leader and hopes the "correct" answer will present itself through discussion and debate .... and that someone other than himself will select and impliment the "correct" answer ..... and that it will be the answer he wants ......

Everyone that voted for hussein ought to be scratching their head by now asking themselves, what in the hell did I do?

They were warned. The guy is nothing but a gas bag, and one without any practical experience at that, and many morons voted for him to run our COUNTRY! They should be ashamed of themselves. The first two weeks plus thus far of his Presidency is an absolute train wreck.

I fear worse is ahead.... MUCH worse.

Last edited:
i actually feel sorry for him ....... he is a concensus builder type leader and hopes the "correct" answer will present itself through discussion and debate .... and that someone other than himself will select and impliment the "correct" answer ..... and that it will be the answer he wants ......

Perhaps...but Obama helped create this sense of crisis-urgency in passing Porkulus by repeating over and over and over again how bad the economy was.

This created an environment non-conducive to consensus building.

I would argue Obama actually cares little for consensus - he likes to make a show of it, but actually has very little experience creating it. His entire life has been going from one supportive environment to the next where his views were in the overwhelming majority. He was a legislative nobody at both the state and national level, and prior to that, worked within the leftist political machinery of Chicago, and the leftist idealogical machinery of Harvard Law.

Obama has yet to face serious, organized, institutionalized opposition until now - and his stress levels are apparent to anyone watching his performance over the last couple of weeks.

Obam gives a great speech.

But a speech cannot deliver - only leadership can.

He has yet to show he is in fact a leader and not just an empty suit.

It's early yet - very early, but his opening performance has been considerably less than stellar.

Perhaps...but Obama helped create this sense of crisis-urgency in passing Porkulus by repeating over and over and over again how bad the economy was.

This created an environment non-conducive to consensus building.

I would argue Obama actually cares little for consensus - he likes to make a show of it, but actually has very little experience creating it. His entire life has been going from one supportive environment to the next where his views were in the overwhelming majority. He was a legislative nobody at both the state and national level, and prior to that, worked within the leftist political machinery of Chicago, and the leftist idealogical machinery of Harvard Law.

Obama has yet to face serious, organized, institutionalized opposition until now - and his stress levels are apparent to anyone watching his performance over the last couple of weeks.

Obam gives a great speech.

But a speech cannot deliver - only leadership can.

He has yet to show he is in fact a leader and not just an empty suit.

It's early yet - very early, but his opening performance has been considerably less than stellar.

Yup... :clap2:

Obama tried to work with the current batch of repubs and they basically said fuck you very much. He extended an open hand and they gave him the finger.

He isn't getting any cooperation from them. He now needs to move to the next step and put pressure on them. It's called politics. I think he is now realizing that he won't get any kind of cooperation from most of the current crop. Collaboration can't happen with only one side willing to work with you.

The whole shit about him losing momentum is just more right wing spin.

As Ileanna Ros Liethen (R Miami) said in 2000: We won. You lost. Get over it.:lol:

As to the mocking tone, get a load of Graham Lindsay the other day. I guess it's okay for a rightie to be sarcastic but not a leftie.

yes well said sinatra....

i am not sure any of the candidates would be doing any better.....this thing is bigger than any single man or woman.....

and the congress is such a cluster fuck it is a joke......they are like a group of kindergartners scrambling for cupcakes......

they economy is off the rails because business has lost faith in the banking system and the banking system has lost faith in business and both lost faith in the government long ago......

what both want is cash to carry on.....

they should take this trillion dollars and create a "grant" fund that people can apply for.....

the last thing we need is the government passing out money like candy at halloween....

Obama tried to work with the current batch of repubs and they basically said fuck you very much. He extended an open hand and they gave him the finger.

He isn't getting any cooperation from them. He now needs to move to the next step and put pressure on them. It's called politics. I think he is now realizing that he won't get any kind of cooperation from most of the current crop. Collaboration can't happen with only one side willing to work with you.

As Ileanna Ros Liethen (R Miami) said in 2000: We won. You lost. Get over it.:lol:

As to the mocking tone, get a load of Graham Lindsay the other day. I guess it's okay for a rightie to be sarcastic but not a leftie.

funny thing .... i recall the other day when things were not going obamas way he used the "i won" phrase as well ..... the sooner everyone realizes that they all just different sides of the same coin the better off we will all be ...... the pendulam keeps swinging but it is the same god damn pendulam.....

Why should the Republicans vote for something they don't believe in? Does that make sense?

Why should the Republicans vote for something they don't believe in? Does that make sense?

Exactly. What the House Republicans did was the first example of actual leadership this country has seen in some time.

The Democrats don't need the Republicans to pass porkulus. Why then are they so concerned about getting it?

Simple enough answer.

My fear is that the Senate Republicans are now willing to give too much.

I would much rather they too stand united in opposing this ridiculous non-stimulative plan.

And on a somewhat related note - why is it the openly liberal members of these forums use so much profanity? Is it the result of absence of real thought or understanding?

No, he had a meeting with them and was more than taken aback when, after the meeting, they still are not going for this porky pig bill. Did O-man think that Repubs would be sucked in by his charisma and just fall into line?

Obama wants bipartisanship. Ok. But what I don't think he understands is that bipartisanship takes compromise on both sides in order to work. He doesn't seem to be willing to compromise much. The whole 'I won' response says much about him.

As for his leadership skills -- one of the most important skills a good leader should posses is being an active listener. I think maybe Obama was absent they day they taught this. The phone lines are jammed with people calling in outrage at this bill. Go check out the polls, they also support this. He doesn't seem to have his listening ears on.

No, he had a meeting with them and was more than taken aback when, after the meeting, they still are not going for this porky pig bill. Did O-man think that Repubs would be sucked in by his charisma and just fall into line?

Obama wants bipartisanship. Ok. But what I don't think he understands is that bipartisanship takes compromise on both sides in order to work. He doesn't seem to be willing to compromise much. The whole 'I won' response says much about him.

As for his leadership skills -- one of the most important skills a good leader should posses is being an active listener. I think maybe Obama was absent they day they taught this. The phone lines are jammed with people calling in outrage at this bill. Go check out the polls, they also support this. He doesn't seem to have his listening ears on.

I love that quote from Reagan you have in your signature.

Damn do I miss his common sense approach to politics.

You know what should be mandated? Anyone entering the political field should have to achieve an 'A' on a common sense test or be denied the right to run. :rolleyes:

You know what should be mandated? Anyone entering the political field should have to achieve an 'A' on a common sense test or be denied the right to run. :rolleyes:

There goes 95% of current politicians right off the bat. And I can tell you right now that Dubya wouldn't of passed it and neither would of Reagan.

Unless of course, it is common sense all of a sudden to sell arms to other countries secretly so they may kill one another and HOPE that neither finds out. OH, and keep it a secret from the American public. :eusa_shhh:

And don't worry, Clinton wouldn't of gotten in either; getting caught with Monica alone was plenty stupid.

I feel sorry for him in the sense that while he hasn't a clue to what to do, so far following the failed policies of GW, he's clueless in who to contact for 'change.'

Obama is definitely showing increased signs of stress.

He has little to no experience having to defend his positions in the role of an executive, and now is facing the daunting task of doing just that.

You can see it in his face he doesn't have that pompous, arrogant look about him and doesn't seem to be smiling as much. Bit off more than he could chew and we will end up paying for it.

I don't feel sorry for him at all!

Biden warned us and Hillary is probably laughing it up in Asia.

Last edited:
When you owe a trillion deciding to spend another trillion you don't have is not smart, anyone can see that.

Except the current government apparently.

If not voting for it would be worse then voting for it then yes it does make sense. Do you think Republicans won't be the perfect scapegoat if they destroy the rescue package?

They are taking a huge responsibility if they all vote against it, because they will be held responsible for the failure to help the economy when it was in at its worst. They are already held responsible by the american people for the economic bad times we are in now: that is one of the main reasons why the democrats currently have a majority in both congress and the house. Because republicans already screwed up, I don't think they can afford to screw up again.

If not voting for it would be worse then voting for it then yes it does make sense. Do you think Republicans won't be the perfect scapegoat if they destroy the rescue package?

They are taking a huge responsibility if they all vote against it, because they will be held responsible for the failure to help the economy when it was in at its worst. They are already held responsible by the american people for the economic bad times we are in now: that is one of the main reasons why the democrats currently have a majority in both congress and the house. Because republicans already screwed up, I don't think they can afford to screw up again.

The got the usual Republicans to join them, it will pass. If it works, the Republicans would have to answer for it. If it doesn't, for once they can say most of them did the right thing.

Forum List

Back