In praise of session musicians.

I'll be playing out again tonight. I'm admittedly old & ugly, but can still keep a crowd moving ,given the right material & players. We have had a number of stand in's, one sax player stood up with us for hours,pretty much hit all the turn arounds and stops. And yeah, that's impressive.
~S~

As long as you have fun. What style of music?

classic rock , some might say 'oldies' , w/a touch of country

our mission is to keep 'em dancin, sell the bar

but it's just not like the old days , folks just don't go out like they used to

~S~

I don't mean to sound so fatalistic this morning but....

it could be because so much of the population is unpleasant. Or just crazy. :(

mmmmaybe Sue....it's just not 'in' like it used to be.......how many kids these days hook up via a 'dance date', or even have a local dance venue vs. back in my day is how i view it....~S~

Also a good point. Our son, a senior in college, says we had it good back in the day. We had to get to know each other face to face. He says it's so much more difficult over "social media"....

Also a good point. Our son, a senior in college, says we had it good back in the day. We had to get to know each other face to face. He says it's so much more difficult over "social media"....

he right!

One for old times.....

Ringo, I heard, was a lousy drummer.
That Ringo was a lousy drummer is an urban myth. Ringo at the time was considered the best drummer in Liverpool, and John Lennon personally invited him to join the band. ... :cool:

"Starr's musicianship has received praise from other drummers, including Phil Collins and Journey's Steve Smith. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 1998. In 2011, Rolling Stone readers named Starr the fifth-greatest drummer of all time."

Ringo Starr - Wikipedia
Ringo has long proven himself as a very talented musician, critiques that he was "just some drummer the beatles needed" will probably never end unfortunately.

The Beatles were gods to sorts like myself that grew up with 'em.

Our guitaist flat out refuses to play any of their material ,unless it's spot on

considers it sacrilege to butcher their music

~S~

Actually Paul McCartney is a million times more talented as a musician and adviser to the the producer than idiot Quincey Jones. Paul not only sang melody and harmony, played bass and guitar and sometimes drums, he wrote some of the most brilliant rock and pop songs in history. As far as session musicians, they were really great in the 60's, the Wrecking Crew in LA, the Funk Brothers in Detroit, and Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones (later Led Zeppelin) in England. The concept of session musicians today is really, basically an archiac farce. There is no reason and no need since anyone with a DAW can hire great musicians to lay down tracks and they can exchange wav files via the internet.

Forum List

Back