In praise of session musicians.

Many years ago, I took piano lessons (they failed) from a guy who described how he used to work on weekends. He was a "house" musician for a "club" that featured a variety of performers, mostly vocalists, performing consecutively all hours of Friday and Saturday nights. Most of them he had never seen or heard of. A normal occurrence was when they would be on a break and someone would thrust some sheet music into his hands and say, "This is for the next singer." He would have to play that music flawlessly, at sight, in public. And he did.

That was impressive as hell to me.

Absolutely. Session musicians need to have not only a knowledge, but a command of a wide variety of styles and patterns. They also can't be divas or losers, because unlike a regular band member, they can be replaced at the snap of a finger.

The unsung heroes of the music industry.

• Banned
Many years ago, I took piano lessons (they failed) from a guy who described how he used to work on weekends. He was a "house" musician for a "club" that featured a variety of performers, mostly vocalists, performing consecutively all hours of Friday and Saturday nights. Most of them he had never seen or heard of. A normal occurrence was when they would be on a break and someone would thrust some sheet music into his hands and say, "This is for the next singer." He would have to play that music flawlessly, at sight, in public. And he did.

These guys would be brought in to 'pad out' performers such as The Beatles and The Stones.

Ringo, I heard, was a lousy drummer.

I'll be playing out again tonight. I'm admittedly old & ugly, but can still keep a crowd moving ,given the right material & players. We have had a number of stand in's, one sax player stood up with us for hours,pretty much hit all the turn arounds and stops. And yeah, that's impressive.
~S~

• Banned
I'll be playing out again tonight. I'm admittedly old & ugly, but can still keep a crowd moving ,given the right material & players. We have had a number of stand in's, one sax player stood up with us for hours,pretty much hit all the turn arounds and stops. And yeah, that's impressive.
~S~

As long as you have fun. What style of music?

Maybe sheet music. But just as likely lead sheets. Hard to say. But either way, yes indeed, impressive.

Maybe sheet music. But just as likely lead sheets. Hard to say. But either way, yes indeed, impressive.
The best music is what you play.

~S~

classic rock , some might say 'oldies' , w/a touch of country

our mission is to keep 'em dancin, sell the bar

but it's just not like the old days , folks just don't go out like they used to

~S~

~S~

~S~

I wonder why. Those are the best times.

~S~

~S~

I don't mean to sound so fatalistic this morning but....

it could be because so much of the population is unpleasant. Or just crazy. :(

Ringo, I heard, was a lousy drummer.
That Ringo was a lousy drummer is an urban myth. Ringo at the time was considered the best drummer in Liverpool, and John Lennon personally invited him to join the band. ... :cool:

"Starr's musicianship has received praise from other drummers, including Phil Collins and Journey's Steve Smith. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 1998. In 2011, Rolling Stone readers named Starr the fifth-greatest drummer of all time."

Ringo Starr - Wikipedia

Last edited:
~S~

~S~

I don't mean to sound so fatalistic this morning but....

it could be because so much of the population is unpleasant. Or just crazy. :(

mmmmaybe Sue....it's just not 'in' like it used to be.......how many kids these days hook up via a 'dance date', or even have a local dance venue vs. back in my day is how i view it....~S~

Forum List

Back