In Politics and Society: Is it Intolerant to be Intolerant of Intolerance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if one remembers that fascism is just a variation of the left, that fits perfectly well.

you must love me, or else - is a motto of all the totalitarian regimes of the past century, which ALL happened to be left at it's economic base.
'You must accept or be destroyed..."

That would have made a great title for this thread. It embodies the entire issue I've been trying to address here. :)

can you change the title?

because it is the core essence of the left and the LBGT crowd in particular.

To the point that they legislate intolerance out of existence...due to their intolerance. SEE where this will head? Absence of liberty.

That's the problem isn't it? When the government or any special interest group can determine what will and will be tolerated - by law or by force or by coercion or by threat - not based on what we do, but on what we believe or profess.

And I want all of you to read Federalist 10 and Federalist 51, where James Madison makes it clear what factionalism, or what we call special interests today, can unduly and adversely affect the course of a nation. It shouldn't be eliminated, but kept in check. People like GLAAD should hold no influence over political discourse in this country. Nor any special interest group for that matter.

Indeed, and members here would do well to read Washington's comments in his farewell address. What a careful, thoughtful, God-Fearing optimist he was.

That's the problem isn't it? When the government or any special interest group can determine what will and will be tolerated - by law or by force or by coercion or by threat - not based on what we do, but on what we believe or profess.

And I want all of you to read Federalist 10 and Federalist 51, where James Madison makes it clear what factionalism, or what we call special interests today, can unduly and adversely affect the course of a nation. It shouldn't be eliminated, but kept in check. People like GLAAD should hold no influence over political discourse in this country. Nor any special interest group for that matter.

GLAAD is made up of Americans though and have as much right to EXPRESS their point of view as anybody else. But when their point of view extends to efforts to get somebody fired for no other offense than expressing a point of view unpopular with GLAAD, we have entered territory that is sinister, unAmerican, and evil.
Correct. Their action(s), 'so-called tolerance', have infringed upon another citizen's rights as per the First Amendment . NOT what liberty in a free society is all about.

'You must accept or be destroyed..."

That would have made a great title for this thread. It embodies the entire issue I've been trying to address here. :)

We need to be careful here though. This is not just a problem unique to the Left or the LBGT crowd. It is just as wrong for a conservative group to try to shout down somebody shouting leftist rhetoric as it is for a liberal group to shout down the conservative. You see it here on USMB when somebody expresses approval for some New Deal or Great Society or whatever program and are immediately jumped on and accused of all sorts of nefarious things and that can be accompanied by the infamous
neg reps. The "I don't like what you say or the way you say it" neg rep syndrome. I don't believe for a minute that some on the right don't do that.

A truly tolerant group welcomes all points of view and is respectful to those invited to express them. Can we honestly say that all of us 'conservative' types are truly tolerant?

It becomes a problem when each side considers their intolerance justified or noble while the other side must be punished for their point of view.

Last edited:
It isn't just the Phil Robertson/Duck Dynasty controversy. It manifests itself in judgmental and hateful neg reps at USMB. It frequently dominates the media and congressional rhetoric from the hallowed chambers of the Senate and House, and is too often included in official Presidential statements. It makes its way into laws to punish what is defined as 'hate crimes'. It is sinister, pervasive, increasing, and, in my opinion, evil.

It is, for want of a better term to describe it, an intolerance of intolerance.

It is the syndrome of those who demand tolerance for their point of view whether it be their chosen lifestyle, their Atheist views, changing the traditional definition of marriage, who is entitled to the resources of others. . . .the list goes on and on. . ..

. . . .but who will not tolerate the point of view of opinions of many of those who disagree or think or believe differently--i.e. those described as "intolerant". And such people, if they are on the 'wrong' side of the debate are deemed fair game to denigrate, insult, diminish, marginalize, boycott, and sometimes to destroy.

For example--and by no means is this the ONLY example--we demand tolerance for those who wish to marry someone of the same sex. We consider it intolerant to deny anybody the ability to express such beliefs. There us a huge outcry of injustice if anyone is 'punished' or 'boycotted' or 'fired' or whatever for expressing such beliefs.

Where is the demand for tolerance for the beliefs of a Phil Roberson who sees it differently? He is not an activist attempting to interfere nor is he attacking any individual or group. Is punishing him for expressing his belief not also intolerance?

NOTE: Very much hoping this will be left in politics so we can have a chance to keep it on topic. Also strongly requesting that members be respectful and tolerant of the views expressed by others and that we can keep it civil.

Phil Robertson has every right to express his views and as an Atheist myself I will defend his right to express those views (which does not mean that I endorse them). I will also defend the right of A&E to suspend him. And I will defend the right of all of those who feel outraged that A&E suspended him to express their outrage peacefully. But I won't tolerate threats of violence and death against anyone at A&E.

The line of tolerance is drawn when it comes to violence and threats of violence. That applies to all sides in my opinion. Freedom of expression ends at the point where it infringes on others.

It isn't just the Phil Robertson/Duck Dynasty controversy. It manifests itself in judgmental and hateful neg reps at USMB. It frequently dominates the media and congressional rhetoric from the hallowed chambers of the Senate and House, and is too often included in official Presidential statements. It makes its way into laws to punish what is defined as 'hate crimes'. It is sinister, pervasive, increasing, and, in my opinion, evil.

It is the syndrome of those who demand tolerance for their point of view whether it be their chosen lifestyle, their Atheist views, changing the traditional definition of marriage, who is entitled to the resources of others. . . .the list goes on and on. . ..

. . . .but who will not tolerate the point of view of opinions of many of those who disagree or think or believe differently--i.e. those described as "intolerant". And such people, if they are on the 'wrong' side of the debate are deemed fair game to denigrate, insult, diminish, marginalize, boycott, and sometimes to destroy.

For example--and by no means is this the ONLY example--we demand tolerance for those who wish to marry someone of the same sex. We consider it intolerant to deny anybody the ability to express such beliefs. There us a huge outcry of injustice if anyone is 'punished' or 'boycotted' or 'fired' or whatever for expressing such beliefs.

Where is the demand for tolerance for the beliefs of a Phil Roberson who sees it differently? He is not an activist attempting to interfere nor is he attacking any individual or group. Is punishing him for expressing his belief not also intolerance?

NOTE: Very much hoping this will be left in politics so we can have a chance to keep it on topic. Also strongly requesting that members be respectful and tolerant of the views expressed by others and that we can keep it civil.

Phil Robertson has every right to express his views and as an Atheist myself I will defend his right to express those views (which does not mean that I endorse them). I will also defend the right of A&E to suspend him. And I will defend the right of all of those who feel outraged that A&E suspended him to express their outrage peacefully. But I won't tolerate threats of violence and death against anyone at A&E.

The line of tolerance is drawn when it comes to violence and threats of violence. That applies to all sides in my opinion. Freedom of expression ends at the point where it infringes on others.

Do you defend GLAAD demanding A&E fire Robertson?

I'm okay with A&E making whatever business decision they wish. I'm okay with whomever watchng or choosing not to watch Duck Dynasty for whatever reason. I'm okay with Phil Robertson stating his religious beliefs and I'm okay with those who think he was crude and unkind in the way he did it.

I am NOT okay with those who demand Phil Robertson be punished because he expressed a view GLAAD didn't like.

Last edited:

We need to be careful here though. This is not just a problem unique to the Left or the LBGT crowd. It is just as wrong for a conservative group to try to shout down somebody shouting leftist rhetoric as it is for a liberal group to shout down the conservative. You see it here on USMB when somebody expresses approval for some New Deal or Great Society or whatever program and are immediately jumped on and accused of all sorts of nefarious things and that can be accompanied by the infamous
neg reps. The "I don't like what you say or the way you say it" neg rep syndrome. I don't believe for a minute that some on the right don't do that.

A truly tolerant group welcomes all points of view and is respectful to those invited to express them. Can we honestly say that all of us 'conservative' types are truly tolerant?

It becomes a problem when each side considers their intolerance justified or noble while the other side must be punished for their point of view.
TRUE. We may express our distain, but support their right to express their view(s). Two-way street. Price of a free society, liberty in of itself as expressed in our founding.

It becomes a problem when each side considers their intolerance justified or noble while the other side must be punished for their point of view

:thup:

Therein lies the rub. [Shakespeare's Hamlet]

The OP is thought provoking but the bulk of the responses have been little more than bashing of GLAAD and complaints about Political Correctness.

Foxy is spot on when she points out that this is a problem on both sides. Granted the posters feel aggrieved and have the right to express their opinions but they are missing what Foxy was trying to accomplish here.

We the People need to recognize that everyone has a right to express their opinion and unless it causes actual harm to others we should just let it go at that. Until we reach that point we are guilty of intolerance ourselves.

Peace
DT

GLAAD is made up of Americans though and have as much right to EXPRESS their point of view as anybody else. But when their point of view extends to efforts to get somebody fired for no other offense than expressing a point of view unpopular with GLAAD, we have entered territory that is sinister, unAmerican, and evil.

Hate to say it, but that "Green Eggs and Ham" speech by Ted Cruz, that just never stops being relevant to American politics. The gays and lesbians, not the normal ones but the political activists, they about the same business model in politics that an angry rapist has in romance. They're the last ones to learn that No Means No. As it is now, all 50 States are obsessed with sexuality on par with insecure, hormonal teenagers paranoid what others whisper about them behind their backs. So now people want some kind of penetration to prove to themselves and others they're normal. It's rather disgusting.

I think we as intelligent thoughtful beings should not succumb to the viciousness and spite others portray. The members of GLAAD are an example of when people take things one step too far. We should tolerate, not annihilate.

I am not against true Christians who think homosexuality is morally wrong based on religious doctrine, but what I do not tolerate are actual bigots who use religion as an excuse for their prejudice. I think Phil is an example of this. It's one thing to say you oppose homosexuality for religious reasons, it is quite another to group them in with drunks and terrorists. That is an example of hate.

Do you defend GLAAD demanding A&E fire Robertson?

I'm okay with A&E making whatever business decision they wish. I'm okay with whomever watchng or choosing not to watch Duck Dynasty for whatever reason. I'm okay with Phil Robertson stating his religious beliefs and I'm okay with those who think he was crude and unkind in the way he did it.

I am NOT okay with those who demand Phil Robertson be punished because he expressed a view GLAAD didn't like.

Nope, I am not defending GLAAD and I am not defending those here who are condemning GLAAD for expressing their opinion.

Applying the no harm rule, GLAAD had a right to their opinion that PR be fired just as others have their right to condemn GLAAD. What happens between PR and A&E is a contractual matter as far as how it is resolved. The suspension was probably just a time out for the lawyers to check the wording and allow the pot to go off the boil. As I recall Keith Olbermann had a number of those before he went back into being a Sportscaster.

So your OP is about tolerance and I am being just as tolerant of GLAAD's opinion as I am of the posters here who are condemning GLAAD. They are equally entitled to their opinions and I am not objecting to any of them.

Hate to say it, but that "Green Eggs and Ham" speech by Ted Cruz, that just never stops being relevant to American politics. The gays and lesbians, not the normal ones but the political activists, they about the same business model in politics that an angry rapist has in romance. They're the last ones to learn that No Means No. As it is now, all 50 States are obsessed with sexuality on par with insecure, hormonal teenagers paranoid what others whisper about them behind their backs. So now people want some kind of penetration to prove to themselves and others they're normal. It's rather disgusting.

Yes. What anybody thinks is 'normal' is their own business, and their right to express. But what he/she thinks is 'normal' may or may not be okay to act out. NAMBLA people think man/boy sex is perfectly 'normal'. They have every right to believe that. But society has deemed such belief, when acted out, to be harmful and therefore illegal.

For a horny guy to view a woman with lust can be considered 'normal', but we have deemed it not 'normal' but in fact harmful for him to act on that lust against her will.

But isn't that true of all things whether it is or is not appropriate to have a Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn or offer a generic prayer before a sporting event or issue federal food stamps to poor people or designate what light bulbs can be manufactured and sold or what side of the road automobiles are required to travel on or what the legal age of marriage is or whether school attendance shall be mandatory or whether there is too much or too little security at airports, etc. etc. etc. etc. ?

We all have opinions about such things and we don't all agree on any one of those things. But it is only when having a difference of opinion becomes a punishable offense--when we ourselves do it or when we demand that somebody be physically or economically or poltically or legally punished purely for expressing an unpopular opinion--that the syndrome becomes evil.

Deal with what people do or intend yes. But to punish them for the views they hold? I can't condone that.

What makes this intolerance wrong, is that what Phil actually said was insulting and degrading about gays. Had he just said that his faith makes him intolerant of homosexuality, there wouldn't be this huge backlash. It is the content of his intolerance is what makes this guy a douche bag.

I don't even care about the show itself's future. It is a stupid, faux television show. It takes "reality television" to a new low.

I am not against true Christians who think homosexuality is morally wrong based on religious doctrine, but what I do not tolerate are actual bigots who use religion as an excuse for their prejudice. I think Phil is an example of this. It's one thing to say you oppose homosexuality for religious reasons, it is quite another to group them in with drunks and terrorists. That is an example of hate.

"True Christians"? I take offense to that. You have your definition of what a "true christian" is, or a Christian who accepts, not merely tolerates homosexuality. Elsewise they are seen as bigots.

Excellent thread Fox.
Yes it is intolerant. But in my mind it is worse. Intolerance is usually born of ignorance. But to be intolerant of different ideas, or thoughts not like yours - is CHOSEN intolerance. It is therefore worse.
Take the Duck Dynasty guy. Look at the environment he grew up in...and stayed in. Limited experience outside of his isolated locale. Limited exposure to people different than him. So should anyone be surprised he feels this way? I don't think so. Nor should he be cast out or shuttered of his opinions. To do this only furthers the ignorance.
The man may be wrong. But he has the right to be wrong. And you have a right to challenge his opinion - but you do not have a right to silence it.
That - is fascism.

So they live in a 'my way or the highway' existence? I say they do. They do NOT practice what they preach. Perfect hypocrisy.
The LGBT crowd is not asking you to do ANYTHING any way other than the way you want to.

On the other hand, there are a good number of citizens in this nation who are more than ready to impose their own preferences on the LGBT minority without any valid justification.

This isn't new - we had this with slavery, voting rights, and interracial marriage. It is to be expected that some percent of humans will behave in this manner, at least until they get yanked into line with the fact that individuals have rights.
Is this why they scream bloody murder when someone voices (as their God-given right, and codified with the First Amendment), in an attempt to SHAME, silence opposing views? Sorry, NOT buying it.:eusa_hand: I AM correct as to their hypocrisy.
Red herring alert: To my knowledge, nobody has suggested he doesn't have the right to say what he did. Please post a link if someone has done so.

My question here is this:

What is the basis for your objection to GLAAD responding to a political statement made by a person prominent in the public eye?

Did you think he has some sort of speech privilege to the effect that nobody can counter his statement? Did you think there is a line in the constitution stating that there can be no ramifications for anything you say?

What makes this intolerance wrong, is that what Phil actually said was insulting and degrading about gays. Had he just said that his faith makes him intolerant of homosexuality, there wouldn't be this huge backlash. It is the content of his intolerance is what makes this guy a douche bag.

I don't even care about the show itself's future. It is a stupid, faux television show. It takes "reality television" to a new low.

Yes, yes, the only intolerance here was perpetrated by Robertson. Seriously? What about the rank intolerance of the people who disagreed with him? Could they have simply changed the channel instead? Did they need to resort to militant style activities to have the man suspended? This behavior borne out of spite, not out of a true desire for tolerance.

Last edited:

Jesus said:

King James Bible

Matthew 10:22

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake........

I think things are pretty much on schedule as He predicted. When I was a girl someone told me that I should memorize as much Bible as I possibly could because the day would come when no one in this country would be allowed to own a Bible. I am always a little annoyed with myself when I cannot pull up the particular verse that fits the topic discussed. But this is the information age, so I can Google it, still. Before they can take away our religious persuasion, they fist have to show those beliefs in the worst possible light, then they have to make those beliefs illegal.

IMO, believing and abiding by your own personal religious beliefs is not 'intolerance.' That is just the first step, claiming it is in order to be showing Christianity in the worst possible light.

You've seen it on here with all the talk of 'Christian terrorists' butI pulled up every single instance and showed that in many instances no one had been apprehended for a particular act, or the act was not religiously based. I think there was one in the person that may have been Christian, but the person was Mormon and Mormons have at least a 19th century history of violence. I'm not sure if they are considered Christians in the fullest sense of the world.

In this modern age if you are not hated for being a Christian, I'm not altogether sure you are one.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vox

"True Christians"? I take offense to that. You have your definition of what a "true christian" is, or a Christian who accepts, not merely tolerates homosexuality. Elsewise they are seen as bigots.

Just because someone says they oppose homosexuality because It is the Christian thing to do, doesn't necessarily oppose them for that reason. Phil like so many other bigots hide behind the Christiam faith to justify their bigotry.

I have nothing against Christians who oppose homosexuality if they genuinely are against it for religious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back