In Our Own Image.

JW Frogen

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
Like the biblical God I think humans make their little part of the world in their own image. Indeed, make God in their own image.

The building I work at has a parking lot that is really a beautiful forest of a kind, perhaps over one hundred trees on islands. These magnificent trees hold light like an impressionist painting, taking on the color of the changing light of the day. They are now flowering attracting the hum of bees, so many bees that it sounds like the pulse of creation itself. These trees sing songs in the West Australian wind. I swear these trees speak to each other, and if you have a sensitive soul on a moonlit night they will speak to you too. It is one of the most beautiful parking lots I have ever seen.That is not a joke. This forest provides host and shelter to all sorts of birds, insects, and wild life. All in an urban setting.

So, the building management has them all, every last one of them, marked for complete annihilation because some of the trees are rooting the pavement slightly and they are afraid some idiot might trip. Never mind no one ever has, never mind I walk out there often in the dark of night and have never tripped. Some body "might" trip and so this beautiful forest must be wiped out in the name of safety.

There are greater things to care about in this world I know but for some reason this makes me so sad. Maybe because I see these lovely trees every day and have grown to know the rhythm of their days. The men who have decided to wipe them out are not bad men, I am sure they are sure they are doing the right thing. Men who are sure are often do the most damage in this world. I know they have never really noticed the beauty right in front of them; never really communed with this living community they have custody of and will now so casually destroy.

Yup, we make our little part of the world in our own image.

I have to wonder what kind of heart; self image, seeks sterile, concrete, dead monotony all in the name of a perfect safety that can never be achieved?

Last edited:
JW Frogen said:
I have to wonder what kind of heart; self image, seeks sterile, concrete, dead monotony all in the name of a perfect safety that can never be achieved?

The kind that just cannot see past themselves and their own little carefully constructed reality no matter what hits them right between the eyes. You're right, they're not bad men. If anything, they should be pitied. Look at all they miss out on and they don't - can't - even know it.

I'm sorry, Frogen. Sometimes these are the things that find a soft spot when we least expect it.

Forum List

Back