In other words, hyper-violence trumps freedom of speech…

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010

Last week we saw a Florida Pastor – with 30 members in his church – threaten to burn Korans which lead to riots and killings in Afghanistan. We also saw Democrats and Republicans alike assume that Pastor Jones had a Constitutional right to burn those Korans. But Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer told me on “GMA” that he’s not prepared to conclude that — in the internet age — the First Amendment condones Koran burning.
“Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout ‘fire’ in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. “Well, what is it? Why? Because people will be trampled to death. And what is the crowded theater today? What is the being trampled to death?”
Rest here>>>

As much as I think the idea of Quran burning to make a political point is a stupid idea, that judge is EXTREMELY frightening.

Any statement or action can cause violence.

Maybe this judge should go watch Al Gore's documentary on Global Warming and then take a look at a news story from a week ago when a crazed gunman took over the Discovery Channel Headquarters.

Hmmm...

It is pathetic that a street gang masquerading as a religion has gained such a reputation for violence that it is threaten the long established foundations of western culture.
Its embarrassing we fear violence more than we respect truth and freedom.

It is pathetic that a street gang masquerading as a religion has gained such a reputation for violence that it is threaten the long established foundations of western culture.
As if burning a Koran is one of the long established foundations of western culture. And, as if burning a Koran demonstrates respect truth and freedom.

As if burning a Koran is one of the long established foundations of western culture. And, as if burning a Koran demonstrates respect truth and freedom.

Ya, being so afraid of what might happen because someone exercised their 1st Amendment right is a good thing right? Do I recall you whining and bitching when people burned the Bible? When people burned the US flag? When people went to see "piss Christ"? Those were all different right? Because Christians do not riot and murder for those things?

Rep. John Boehner said on "GMA" that “just because you have a right to do something in America does not mean it is the right thing to do.”

<<<

Where was that quote when we were protesting the building of the Mosque at ground zero?

Ever since I read the thing 30 years ago, I have felt Justice Holme's opinion was piss poor logic, worse law, and contrary to the plain text in front of him.

Especially in the case in front of the court, the damn theater was on fire.

Last week we saw a Florida Pastor – with 30 members in his church – threaten to burn Korans which lead to riots and killings in Afghanistan. We also saw Democrats and Republicans alike assume that Pastor Jones had a Constitutional right to burn those Korans. But Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer told me on “GMA” that he’s not prepared to conclude that — in the internet age — the First Amendment condones Koran burning.
“Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout ‘fire’ in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. “Well, what is it? Why? Because people will be trampled to death. And what is the crowded theater today? What is the being trampled to death?”
Rest here>>>

I think that they will have to do a powerful lot of convincing to make anyone believe that this is equivalent to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Ya, being so afraid of what might happen because someone exercised their 1st Amendment right is a good thing right? Do I recall you whining and bitching when people burned the Bible? When people burned the US flag? When people went to see "piss Christ"? Those were all different right? Because Christians do not riot and murder for those things?
It's the offense, not the level of violence in the reaction that matters. The offenses Americans, particularly Christian Americans feel are cultural, not political. Cultural offenses are not usually met with rioting and suicide bombers. And I cite the relative peaceful reaction among the majority of Muslims in predominately Muslim countries. Sure, we saw photos and videos of demonstrations. We've sadly seen a radical criminal element cloaked in Islam commit the vilest of crimes. But the vast majority went to work or prayed or languished in hospital or went to classes all while the most radical and zealous protested.

We've also sadly had American Christians so affected by cultural offenses that they have done murder in their zealotry. But, there are demonstrations and marches, placards and banners, and vibrant debate wherever people are culturally offended. And still, the vast majority of Americans went to work or prayed or languished in hospital or went to classes all while the most radical and zealous protested.

Last edited:

No, standing up to arm twisting bullies and holding truth above fear ,those are the traditions I was referring to.

I am not surprised. Why would the Liberal half of the Supreme Court care about freedom of Speech. It's not like they haven't tried to curtail it multiple times.

No, standing up to arm twisting bullies and holding truth above fear ,those are the traditions I was referring to.

No snarky bullshit demagoguing comebacks ?

Rest here>>>

That is some of the worst legal reasoning I have ever seen.

Forum List

Back