In One Form Or Another, Cuts Are Coming

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.townhall.com/blogs/capitolreport/TimChapman/story/2005/10/24/172673.html

The people are demanding it, links at site:
Senate conservatives set to introduce their own "Operation Offset"

Oct 24 2005 03:43 PM

By TimChapman

Last month conservative backbenchers changed the direction of House GOP fiscal policy by introducing "Operation Offset" -- a package of potential savings in government spending that would offset the tens of billions of dollars needed to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

At first, the package was met with disapproval by House Leadership. But weeks later, Hastert and others have embraced parts of the package and are scheduling a vote on the House floor this Thursday that would increase savings by $15 billion. That vote is a direct result of the actions of the House conservatives led by Mike Pence.

Now, a band of fiscal conservatives in the Senate plan to offer a similar proposal. Tomorrow, at 12:30 Senators Ensign, McCain, DeMint, Graham, Sununu, Coburn and Brownback will hold a press conference in which they will unveil the details of their own savings package.

These seven senators have been meeting regularly as a group to determine how best to trim back wasteful government spending.

Hopefully, their agitation will result in increased momentum in the Senate for fiscal responsibility.

For more information in this initiative, check back here throughout the week.

It looks like even Moderate Republicans are trying to cut waste if McCain is involved. I think this is a good sign.

I suggest we start by repealing the medicare package they just created two years ago. It still hasn't gone into effect. The Elderly don't want it because they have a better system now. The youth don't want it because its a drain to the tax dollars. Let's just eliminate it now before it totally ruins and increases the problems it claims to fix. That is a huge chunk of money right there.

It looks like even Moderate Republicans are trying to cut waste if McCain is involved. I think this is a good sign.

I suggest we start by repealing the medicare package they just created two years ago. It still hasn't gone into effect. The Elderly don't want it because they have a better system now. The youth don't want it because its a drain to the tax dollars. Let's just eliminate it now before it totally ruins and increases the problems it claims to fix. That is a huge chunk of money right there.

Dont think too highly of McCain. He's an opportunist and a media whore. He has caught a whiff of the conservative anger over Bush's nominee and is moving in to score some points. Excellent play politically but i doubt he had anything to do we the conception of this Bill.

insein said:
Dont think too highly of McCain. He's an opportunist and a media whore. He has caught a whiff of the conservative anger over Bush's nominee and is moving in to score some points. Excellent play politically but i doubt he had anything to do we the conception of this Bill.

Oh I don't think highly of him either. He is opportunistic, like most moderate Republicans. So if they get a whiff of scoring some political ground with cutting the budgets, thats good! Because it means we are winning.

the older voters want extended medicare. That's why the politicans
handed it out. Vote for me, get your meds.

And it worked too.

I doubt that congress wants to piss off the voters (old people)
Instead they ll cut something else. Nobody will dare to touch this and
the Dems will cry foul and make cheap points to get more house
seats.

nosarcasm said:
the older voters want extended medicare. That's why the politicans
handed it out. Vote for me, get your meds.

And it worked too.

I doubt that congress wants to piss off the voters (old people)
Instead they ll cut something else. Nobody will dare to touch this and
the Dems will cry foul and make cheap points to get more house
seats.

Actually the older voters did not want this medicare bill to pass. That was my point. A few special interest groups wanted it to pass. The goal of those groups is to undermine the medicare system in the United States to the point where they need to pass a "Universal healthcare" system like the ones that are crippling other nations of the world.

Forum List

Back