In Nothing We Trust: Protest Everything!

these are largely people who tried to do everything right... got the education... got the grades... and now there's nothing for them.

Everything right is getting a degree and high grades? Are you seriously arguing that?

So we get good grades and a degree and life should be easy?

What about, you know, work? Offering value to people. Etc.

if you'll control the rant, yes... getting yourself educated and getting grades should give you OPPORTUNITIES... not results.. OPPORTUNITIES. why does the right intentionally obfuscate in that way.

never mind... rhetorical question.

OK. I agree. Opportunities... not outcomes. So, given that we agree that equality means opportunities, why is it that instead of honest discussion and logical debate, people constantly 'blame the other guy'? The current economic problems are not the fault of Bush, or the GOP, or the banks, or Wall Street alone, are they? Can we agree on that?

The Tea Party hasn't exactly been coherent either.

Granted, expecting coherence in this country is usually a fool's errand.

What fucking universe do you live in?

Federal government is too big.
Taxes are too high.
Too many federal laws and regulations.
Respect the Tenth Amendment.
States respect the Bill of Rights...

I believe TEA Party members have been on the same page since day one...

Taxes are too high.

With the TEAs, it has been clear from the start. The clue is in the name...

Taxed
Enough
Already

Yep. I agree and I get that message. I agree with their 10 points.

Occupy Wall Street. Why? What are you trying to tell me with that name? I don't know. I get that Wall St did huge damage to America... but we cannot vote them out. OWS would do well to remember that Americans are at liberty to make money even if one disapproves of how they make it.

Why does their message have to be homogenous?
The whole system has turned to shit and they're pissed off, isn't that enough?
Clever people are supposed to be elected and paid a lot of money to fix these things and they're not and these people are pissed off!
Sure, there are plenty in the movement that have no idea about economic theory or political reality and spouting fruitcake ideas but they're pissed off that everything is broken...just like the Tea Party.

It's arrogance to write them off as an unhygienic rabble.

THE People, upon realizing that they've been betrayed by their overlords, do tend to get restless.

When enough of those people like feel there's nothing for them to lose?

There's a road to national perdition that we surely do not want to go down

What do we want? We don’t know! When do we want it? Now!

That’s a joke that’s been bouncing around the internet in relation to the OWS protesters and with some good reasons. The protesters have lacked any cohesive message. And, while I have mocked that, there is also a part of me that high fives these people – whether I agree with their ‘cause’ (whatever that may be) or not. It’s cool that people are passionate enough to get out and make themselves heard. That goes for the TEA Parties and OWS alike. Unlike the partisans, I will not deride either group… although I did at least understand the TEAs.

Anyway… to the point… and I apologize in advance, this might be a tad long winded.

So, while watching news coverage of the protesters, I decided to do some digging, in the hopes of shedding a little light on the causes. If not for you, at least for myself.

The Western world has, for the past couple of decades, seen stable economic growth. And Governments generally ignored the warnings coming from the economist, William White*, and chose instead to listen to his rival, Alan Greenspan. I think we can all see the consequences of that particular global error of judgment.

*For those who don’t know who White is, he is a Canadian banker who at the time of his warning was the chief economist for the world’s most respected central bank… International Settlements (BIS) in Switzerland. Since 2009, he has been much listened to, traveling from country to country speaking to business leaders, bankers and Governments.

OK… back on topic:

Austerity is known to bring with it the instability, and protests, that have spread around the western world. Research by Jocopo Ponticelli and Hans-Joachim Voth (Barcelona University) provides a data set of protests (strikes, marches, revolts and even assassinations) that show a link between fiscal austerity measures and social unrest. No big surprise but it’s nice to have facts to back up opinion. From that research, spending cuts of 5% GDP lead to twice as many episodes of instability.

There is another study from Latin America where Mr Voth studied the period from 1937 to 1995, which shows the same outcomes – a tightening of fiscal policies and civil unrest. Interestingly, this unrest occurs in both democratic countries and autocracies. So, it ain’t about democracy, folks!

What research also tells us is that people are more likely to protest austerity than any other cause. Samples from Europe show that austerity related protests attract hugely more support than, say, anti-war protests. Basic human selfishness…. We care most when it affects us directly.

What other factors should we include when trying to understand these protesters?

Well, let’s throw into the mix the research that links high levels of debt and high unemployment. The International Labor Organization warned in 2010 that high levels of unemployment, particularly young people, were likely to cause social disorder. And, when you consider what happened in London in August 2011, they were right about that. Young people took to the streets in their thousands, looting, burning and causing millions of dollars worth of damage. Was it organized or spontaneous? Who knows, but the UK courts are currently packed with kids paying the price of those nights of mayhem.

There is also a great paper (albeit from 1994) by Alberto Alesina (Harvard U) and Roberto Perotti (Bocconi U) that reviewed 71 countries from 1960 to 1985. Their findings included the link between income inequality and social instability. In the view of the researchers, unrest erupts when the wealthy middle class is undermined.

So… how do we satisfy these protestors (assuming they have a coherent ‘demand’ other than the ridiculous crap bandied around in the media)?

Well, research (being a right wing, I might add that I am supposed to ‘hate sceince’ LOL) from Daron Acemoglu (MIT) and James Robinson (Harvard – again!) shows that (and here is a big surprise people)….. redistribution of wealth can quiet public unrest.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why, in my opinion, there is nothing spontaneous about this protest.

and Glen Beck said this would happen over a year ago and even said who would be involved in "running it" ... but hes crazy and a fear monger

THE People, upon realizing that they've been betrayed by their overlords, do tend to get restless.

But that's what the left want, isn't it? For the US to emulate nations such as the European ones? If y'all wanna scrap the Constitution, fine.... be honest, have that debate. But there are puppet masters behind the scenes trying to undermine our Republic. Cowards.

But that's what the left want, isn't it? For the US to emulate nations such as the European ones? If y'all wanna scrap the Constitution, fine.... be honest, have that debate. But there are puppet masters behind the scenes trying to undermine our Republic. Cowards.

Why can't it truly be a whole lot of pissed off people?
Why does it need to be a conspiracy?

Don't they essentially want the same thing as the Right...the people in charge to look beyond personal and political agendas and sort it out?!

Taxes are too high.

"Keep your government hands off my medicaid!!!"

Don't they essentially want the same thing as the Right...the people in charge to look beyond personal and political agendas and sort it out?!

It could be. But it isn't. I've done my research, I know who the players are. Admittedly, it's not easy. One has to look beyond 'google' for 'research. As I said before, if they were concerned, why weren't they protesting along side the TEAs. Why now? Why did it take them so long? This is not about 'Wall Street' (although I have absolutely no doubt that there are many genuinely concerned citizens among the protests).

Taxes are too high.

Because they've paid for it. It's not an 'entitlement'. It's their money. What is it with the left that they cannot have honest debates. Y'all always have to throw strawmen around. Are you so afraid of the facts?

It could be. But it isn't. I've done my research, I know who the players are. Admittedly, it's not easy. One has to look beyond 'google' for 'research. As I said before, if they were concerned, why weren't they protesting along side the TEAs. Why now? Why did it take them so long? This is not about 'Wall Street' (although I have absolutely no doubt that there are many genuinely concerned citizens among the protests).

They dont protest besides the tea party as the tea party is merely a bought and paid for tool of the big money interests and the corporations that are destroying our nations middle class.

Taxes are too high.

Because they've paid for it. It's not an 'entitlement'. It's their money. What is it with the left that they cannot have honest debates. Y'all always have to throw strawmen around. Are you so afraid of the facts?

Medicaid is a government program.

So lower taxes, cut spending, cut regulation, follow the Constitution and get the heck out of our way aren't coherent enough for you?

It is coherent, just foolish. Much of what you are calling for got us in the mess we're in. If the government had GOT in the way and regulated private banks and lending practices, it may have averted the crash of our economy.

If someone had a severed artery, blood letting would not save the patient.

I would have an easier time understanding the complaints of the parasitic class if I didn't personally know so many college kids whose spent four years or more in higher education only to face lives of failure. College years were going to be the best years of their lives. There were vital interesting relevant classes about real people. They were easy, exhibiting as much anger at the system as the lesbian professor did was an automatic A no matter what you did in the course work. Party after party, a pleasant haze of marijuana and drink till you vomit. Screwing as many as possible was necessary sexual experimentation. This was preparation for entry into the real adult world. Not the evil and boring adult world of parents where pursuit of money dominated their little lives. This was real CHANGE. Embrace homosexuality, legalize drugs, make the world a fun place to live. That was the SERIOUS work of college.

These parasites protesting in the parks and stinking them up don't tell you one thing. They never mention it. Every year business recruiters STILL go to college campuses. Companies are still looking for achievers. They are still hiring, still offering fat signing bonuses and six figure starting salaries. Just not for them.

Why does their message have to be homogenous?
The whole system has turned to shit and they're pissed off, isn't that enough?
Clever people are supposed to be elected and paid a lot of money to fix these things and they're not and these people are pissed off!
Sure, there are plenty in the movement that have no idea about economic theory or political reality and spouting fruitcake ideas but they're pissed off that everything is broken...just like the Tea Party.

It's arrogance to write them off as an unhygienic rabble.

The problem is the government - more precisely government interference...

Its not the governments job to regulate an economy, and that is exactly what they have been trying to do for the last century... They've been more aggressive over the past 30 years then ever before..

What you're seeing today is the failure of Keynesian economics...

The fucking government made the banks fail, they make wall street fail...

What the fuck do you expect when you force lending and print endless amounts of money????

Dictated economies NEVER work... Our economy is just another example of how humans cannot dictate an economy or an outcome......

If those apes were smart they'd be on Pennsylvania Ave instead of shitting on, stealing and occupying private property....

It's not the banks fault, it's not wall streets fault - it's the fucking governments fault for sticking their hands where they don't belong...

So lower taxes, cut spending, cut regulation, follow the Constitution and get the heck out of our way aren't coherent enough for you?

It is coherent, just foolish. Much of what you are calling for got us in the mess we're in. If the government had GOT in the way and regulated private banks and lending practices, it may have averted the crash of our economy.

If someone had a severed artery, blood letting would not save the patient.

Someone did severe the artery. His name was Bill Clinton.

I don't need to include quotes from famous people to back me up, I am smart enough without the words of others. California Girl, 2011

Forum List

Back