In New Hampshire - Freshmen Aren't Freshmen - They Are .....Ninth Graders

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Sigh...Political Correctness still running amok.

----------

AMHERST - Amherst Regional High School has banished the term "freshman"- a move the principal calls overdue, but some students say oozes political correctness.

Beginning this year, students in ninth grade are now referred to by the gender-neutral title "ninth-graders."

"This is 2005 and the word 'man'or 'men' no longer refers to all people," said Samantha Camera, a social studies teacher at the high school. She said the change was an opportunity to use more inclusive language.

The school is changing everything from its official documents to its morning announcements to reflect the new term.

Area colleges have already grappled with "freshman." Smith and Mount Holyoke colleges, which accept only women, dropped the term in the early 1980s in favor of "first-year students." Amherst College did the same around 1998. The University of Massachusetts continues to use "first year" and "freshman" interchangeably on documents referring to students of both genders.

But in Amherst, some believe language is a measure of how people are viewed and treated.

ARHS Assistant Principal Marta Guevara, who spearheaded the change, said the decision to move away from 'freshman' was a result of conversations among faculty that began after the controversial production of The Vagina Monologuestwo years ago.

"We want conversation, we want for kids to bring forward their thinking," said Guevara. "It's a great conversation to make them aware of the possible misogynistic, oppressive or non-inclusive language."

Guevara said such conversations could eventually mean doing away with all class terms, such as "junior,""senior," and "upperclassmen." These changes are not under discussion at this point.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051022/REPOSITORY/510220328/1013/NEWS03

GotZoom said:
Sigh...Political Correctness still running amok.

----------

AMHERST - Amherst Regional High School has banished the term "freshman"- a move the principal calls overdue, but some students say oozes political correctness.

Beginning this year, students in ninth grade are now referred to by the gender-neutral title "ninth-graders."

"This is 2005 and the word 'man'or 'men' no longer refers to all people," said Samantha Camera, a social studies teacher at the high school. She said the change was an opportunity to use more inclusive language.

The school is changing everything from its official documents to its morning announcements to reflect the new term.

Area colleges have already grappled with "freshman." Smith and Mount Holyoke colleges, which accept only women, dropped the term in the early 1980s in favor of "first-year students." Amherst College did the same around 1998. The University of Massachusetts continues to use "first year" and "freshman" interchangeably on documents referring to students of both genders.

But in Amherst, some believe language is a measure of how people are viewed and treated.

ARHS Assistant Principal Marta Guevara, who spearheaded the change, said the decision to move away from 'freshman' was a result of conversations among faculty that began after the controversial production of The Vagina Monologuestwo years ago.

"We want conversation, we want for kids to bring forward their thinking," said Guevara. "It's a great conversation to make them aware of the possible misogynistic, oppressive or non-inclusive language."

Guevara said such conversations could eventually mean doing away with all class terms, such as "junior,""senior," and "upperclassmen." These changes are not under discussion at this point.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051022/REPOSITORY/510220328/1013/NEWS03

It was freshperson or freshpeople at my school. We were F-R-E-S-H- Frrrrrrrrresh.

Or just frosh, for those of us too lazy.

Ok, so it's a feminism thing. I thought it was going to be one of those pussified "stop bullying" policies. Why don't they just tell their freshmen to stop being such whiney babies?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The day may come when You can’t say :

“the day may come”. Doesn’t it arrive, not come?
You now say…”The day will arrive”.

“I’m going beaver hunting” Saturday. Is that a sexual reference?
You now say…”I’m going Castor canadensis Kuhle hunting this Saturday”.

“I’ll see you later Dear” A demeaning description?
You now say… “See you later significant other”.

“I’d like Chicken for dinner”. Another reference? It’s poultry dammit.
You now say… “I’d like poultry for dinner.

“I’m going Turkey Hunting this weekend”. Nope..
You now say…”I’m going Meleagris gallopavo Linnaeus hunting this weekend”.

“Where’s the mens room”? Everyone knows it’s the Males/Females room, or just the bathroom!
You now say, if yer me…”Where do I PISS”?

“I want a Manwich”. No way pal, ain’t gonna fly.
Now you say..”I’d like a double order”.

Etc..etc….

If they have to work so hard to make the students aware of them, maybe these terms aren't so oppressive after all? :duh3:

Myself, I had many other things to worry about during puberty.

Is there such a thing as hazing if there are no freshmen, only "9th graders?"
That's the important question.

Mr. P said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The day may come when You can’t say :

“the day may come”. Doesn’t it arrive, not come?
You now say…”The day will arrive”.

“I’m going beaver hunting” Saturday. Is that a sexual reference?
You now say…”I’m going Castor canadensis Kuhle hunting this Saturday”.

“I’ll see you later Dear” A demeaning description?
You now say… “See you later significant other”.

“I’d like Chicken for dinner”. Another reference? It’s poultry dammit.
You now say… “I’d like poultry for dinner.

“I’m going Turkey Hunting this weekend”. Nope..
You now say…”I’m going Meleagris gallopavo Linnaeus hunting this weekend”.

“Where’s the mens room”? Everyone knows it’s the Males/Females room, or just the bathroom!
You now say, if yer me…”Where do I PISS”?

“I want a Manwich”. No way pal, ain’t gonna fly.
Now you say..”I’d like a double order”.

Etc..etc….

Nah, those all involve killing animals. Won't work.

Mr. P said:
The News..Yea..But how about daily life? Don't know about you, I'm polite
but not very PC.
im polite when i need to be, not casue i want to be (at work). as everyone knows customers make or break a company. so im nice up to the point of ass kissing. thats jsut over the line there.

Forum List

Back