In Mississippi, A Feeling Of Neglect

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
even more bungled responses.....

I'm glad the folks in MS didn't have armed crack fiends and gangs attacking them, but its sad to hear they're not getting much of the relief either.

Coming from the most popular destination state for hurricanes (Florida), I'm just astounded at the slow response from the feds here... in miami, orlando, tampa, pensacola, you always see FEMA on the ground running the first day out or even before the hurricane arrives, as well as national guard and other government folks, on hand working with the state and local authorities. I don't know what the hell is going on in MS..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9190498/

JACKSON, Miss. - Mississippi hurricane survivors looked around Saturday and wondered just how long it would take to get food, clean water and shelter. And they were more than angry at the federal government and the national news media.

Richard Gibbs was disgusted by reports of looting in New Orleans and upset at the lack of attention hurricane victims in his state were getting.

“I say burn the bridges and let ’em all rot there,” he said. “We’re suffering over here too, but we’re not killing each other. We’ve got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies.”

Story continues below ↓

NATO AIR said:
even more bungled responses.....

I'm glad the folks in MS didn't have armed crack fiends and gangs attacking them, but its sad to hear they're not getting much of the relief either.

Coming from the most popular destination state for hurricanes (Florida), I'm just astounded at the slow response from the feds here... in miami, orlando, tampa, pensacola, you always see FEMA on the ground running the first day out or even before the hurricane arrives, as well as national guard and other government folks, on hand working with the state and local authorities. I don't know what the hell is going on in MS..

Now that is MSM spin in overtime. Do you really believe that MS does not have problem citizens? :rolleyes: Here we go with the 'disgruntled speaking for the masses.'

Kathianne said:
Do you really believe that MS does not have problem citizens? :rolleyes:

Not nearly as many as New Orleans and not in a concentrated area like New Orleans either.

Plus MS cops are pretty damn fierce when they want to be.

That and the more rural nature of the disaster here, folks are probably a little more civilized.

:).

I spent time in MS, the state gets some bad press but there's a lot of really good people, and in their own way, they try to get things done.

Needless to say, I think Barbour probably is running things a lot better than the NO/LO authorities are, but he may not have all the resources for the response and that is where the federal failure can be found.

NATO AIR said:
Not nearly as many as New Orleans and not in a concentrated area like New Orleans either.

Plus MS cops are pretty damn fierce when they want to be.

That and the more rural nature of the disaster here, folks are probably a little more civilized.

:).

I spent time in MS, the state gets some bad press but there's a lot of really good people, and in their own way, they try to get things done.

Needless to say, I think Barbour probably is running things a lot better than the NO/LO authorities are, but he may not have all the resources for the response and that is where the federal failure can be found.

If possible and Katrina hit NY, CN, etc. it would still have taken weeks/months for recovery. What is going on in LA is criminal, literally and figuratively, but the fault is not the Feds primarily.

Kathianne said:
If possible and Katrina hit NY, CN, etc. it would still have taken weeks/months for recovery. What is going on in LA is criminal, literally and figuratively, but the fault is not the Feds primarily.

I think if NYC/Boston were hit, this would not be the embarassing disaster that it is in the deep south.

NATO AIR said:
I think if NYC/Boston were hit, this would not be the embarassing disaster that it is in the deep south.

Only because the states would have stepped up and the country would have backed them-the way it's supposed to be. The way it IS working in MS and AL.

Forum List

Back