In Memory

My Uncle landed at Normandy on D Day with the 315th Combat Engr Bn. He moved with them from the beeches to the Rhine. I looked up the history of the Unit while in Germany and took 30 days to backpack their route, as close as I could.

My uncle served in the 6th Marine Division in ww2, he was shot on Iwo Jima and shot at Okinawa,I also had an uncle in the Navy and in the Army during the war,my father turned 18 in Oct of 1945 and was one of the last to be drafted(at least thats what he told me) he served in the Phillipines guarding Japanese P.O.W.'s awaiting return to Japan.I myself am a Grenada era veteran, no war or combat for me.

My uncle served in the 6th Marine Division in ww2, he was shot on Iwo Jima and shot at Okinawa,I also had an uncle in the Navy and in the Army during the war,my father turned 18 in Oct of 1945 and was one of the last to be drafted(at least thats what he told me) he served in the Phillipines guarding Japanese P.O.W.'s awaiting return to Japan.I myself am a Grenada era veteran, no war or combat for me.

noose goes at it with me regularly and vice versa. (I suspect that he genuinely dislikes me.) But on this topic, I see no good basis for humor, so I'll just play this one straight: Noose has worn the uniform, so he has my sincere thanks for his service.

I'm sorry but Grenada? lol....I don't mean to belittle your service, I just think that was a funny war....it was already over before anyone knew about it. My dad was all upset because it was the first war in his lifetime he hadn't been in.....

Kudos to you for your service to our country.

And to all of you with stories of your relatives, keep telling them, they are interesting and part of our country's history. Someone should gather them all up in a book, just personal stories like this.....

noose goes at it with me regularly and vice versa. (I suspect that he genuinely dislikes me.) But on this topic, I see no good basis for humor, so I'll just play this one straight: Noose has worn the uniform, so he has my sincere thanks for his service.

Sorry, I see humor everywhere, it's just me..however, Noose does have my respect for his service to our country as do all our vets.

I do not know you to actually dislike you, I have gone at it far worse with the malcontent than I have with you and yet in the next thread we can be civil to each other, I treat others as they treat me.
and Thanks for the thanks for my service, I appreciate it.

I'm sorry but Grenada? lol....I don't mean to belittle your service, I just think that was a funny war....it was already over before anyone knew about it. My dad was all upset because it was the first war in his lifetime he hadn't been in.....

And to all of you with stories of your relatives, keep telling them, they are interesting and part of our country's history. Someone should gather them all up in a book, just personal stories like this.....

You see the Grenada thing was a joke, you know how if someone served during the Vietnam war but didnt go to Vietnam they are classified as a Vietnam era veteran? I jokingly like to refer to myself as a Grenada era vet, I wasnt involved in the invasion of Grenada I was in boot camp when it happened. ( though I am sure for those who were shot at in the invasion of Grenada it was no joke.)

I'm enjoying the stories too. :)

I'm enjoying the stories too. :)

Here's an interesting story...my father entered the Army and retired from the Air Force without ever changing branches....It used to be the Army Air Corp, then they changed the name to the Air Force and made it a separate branch of the military.

Forum List

Back