In Memory of Those Who Paid the Price

In reality, that image really hasn't been incinuated until recently. If you read foreign accounts of the U.S. before the late 1950s, you'll see many had great things to say about us.

I read a book, and I can't remember the name. But the author wrote about his youth in England during World War I. He lived in the slums. At one point in the book, he recalled a day that Americans arrived (upon entrance into WWI).

He described them as taller than the average man, slender, handsome, and noble. He described the reception they got and how everyone was finally glad the that he Americans had arrived.

It was the same way in World War II. People can't deny that before the
1960s, we were bad ass according to the rest of the world. Except for Russia.

Now the view of America, by alot of foreigners (not all) is kind of tarnished. We're still bad ass, but we have to do something to improve our image to the rest of the world IMO.

The French PM (I think it was him) reported the other day that "The U.S. is past its peak." "It is no longer magical" something to that effect. He believes we've lost our mojoe." But of course he's french. LOL...no offense to the French

Well you're right...it all boils down to preemptive strike. Do we have the right to attack before being attacked? Do you wait for thousands of your civilians to be slaughtered before you do something?

Some people bash this policy--which it is their right.

But the question is, if someone pulls a gun on you in the street, and you have the opportunity to shoot them first, would you? I sure as hell would.

Preemptive strike is a newer policy (in our history.) And I think it is a useful tactic depending on the circumstances.

In reality, that image really hasn't been incinuated until recently. If you read foreign accounts of the U.S. before the late 1950s, you'll see many had great things to say about us.

I read a book, and I can't remember the name. But the author wrote about his youth in England during World War I. He lived in the slums. At one point in the book, he recalled a day that Americans arrived (upon entrance into WWI).

He described them as taller than the average man, slender, handsome, and noble. He described the reception they got and how everyone was finally glad the that he Americans had arrived.

It was the same way in World War II. People can't deny that before the
1960s, we were bad ass according to the rest of the world. Except for Russia.

Now the view of America, by alot of foreigners (not all) is kind of tarnished. We're still bad ass, but we have to do something to improve our image to the rest of the world IMO.

The French PM (I think it was him) reported the other day that "The U.S. is past its peak." "It is no longer magical" something to that effect. He believes we've lost our mojoe." But of course he's french. LOL...no offense to the French

Ah...the French...talk about a nation 'past its peak'!

In any case, I suspect that the image of the US has always been up for debate. I have no doubt that the Mexicans held a dim view of the US when US soldiers were running around Mexico City.

Of course, our own media doesn't help much. I find it rather ironic (not to mention bigotted) that our media makes much of the horrors/atrocities supposedly committed by US military and/or contractor personnel, yet minimize those committed by 'insurgents'.

Without derailing this thread completely, it would be great if we knew the intent behind the question before getting into the deep philosophical discussions this thread is sure to foster.

Yeah I agree. We shouldn't derail the thread too much. And you're right, the media has alot to do with it. I also think the media has alot to do with the negative image that alot of Americans have for thier own country.

What's funny, is that we were supporting the Vietmihn in 1945 and their declaration of Independence (naturally), however, when they began to battle the French, who were our larger ally, we kind of left them hanging and supported the French. Our advisers were not sent until Eisenhower's admin., however, our involvement in the conflict began in the 40s.

I didn't know it went back that far, thanks for the info.

I could have misunderstood Diuretic's post, but I don't think he was bashing Bush on this particular post. I believe he was actually curious about the wars in the U.S. and how many were entered even though we were not attacked. And also what party the presidents were from.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure if that post was meant to bash Bush...if it was, then I ignore my post. :eusa_doh:

I don't like to bash Bush, I do like to criticise his foreign policy though. Usually I'll make it clear (except if I get to major frustration levels with those who like to use wilful blindness as a tactic).

I don't like to bash Bush, I do like to criticise his foreign policy though. Usually I'll make it clear (except if I get to major frustration levels with those who like to use wilful blindness as a tactic).

Well his foreign policies are not where my criticism lies, though the execution has left something to be desired. Domestically he's sucked.

Forum List

Back