In Memory of Jose Gutierrez

NM Weatherman

l'enfer, c'est les autres
Apr 9, 2010
Albuquerque
Late last year Jose Gutierrez popped into my mind. He was the first Lance Cpl Marine to be killed in the Iraq war. I don't know why I thought of him...these days I feel like he was tugging at me from beyond the grave...but I recalled that he started out as a street orphan in Guatamala. By hitching trains and whatever means he made it to the USA to see out his dreams. He joined the Marines so that he could obtain money to go to college here.

I Googled him to see what had happened since he was tragically killed in Iraq, fighting for the country of his dreams, and fighting to fulfill his personal dreams. The Fallen Heroes Memorial came up with a listing for Jose.

I went to his page and broke down in tears. I lost it. No one had posted on his memorial page in seven years. Well of course. He was a Guatamalan orphan after all. I left a post there on his page, as "Dee Jay" in Albuquerque, and then I mounted a small internet campaign to ask others to speak their hearts and honor this fallen hero.

The next time I went to his page, I broke down in tears again. You can go there and see what happened.

Fallen Heroes Memorial: Marine Lance Cpl. Jose Gutierrez

God bless you American military folks. You came through. And God bless Jose Gutierrez, who fought for us and his dreams, and died for us. May you rest in peace.

Forum List

Back