In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses aren’t people

Only if the case were being argued according to the Catholic doctrine. It's not.

I agree. It is in a court of law and there only the law matters. Still, it is interesting that a moral position the Church would impose upon others is not something it would impose upon itself - just to save a few bucks. Not much of a moral position.

The paradox is interesting, that's true. That's how the law works sometimes.

The SCOTUS case on Obamacare last year had the same lawyers arguing one day that it was a tax and then the next day arguing that it wasn't a tax.

You certainly have a point. However, in the case of Obamacare the client is political. In this other matter the client is a church. Now it does not surprise me that a church would act the same way a politican acts, but I never expect a church to act with moral consistency any more than I expect a politician to.

I agree. It is in a court of law and there only the law matters. Still, it is interesting that a moral position the Church would impose upon others is not something it would impose upon itself - just to save a few bucks. Not much of a moral position.

The paradox is interesting, that's true. That's how the law works sometimes.

The SCOTUS case on Obamacare last year had the same lawyers arguing one day that it was a tax and then the next day arguing that it wasn't a tax.

You certainly have a point. However, in the case of Obamacare the client is political. In this other matter the client is a church. Now it does not surprise me that a church would act the same way a politican acts, but I never expect a church to act with moral consistency any more than I expect a politician to.

Good point. It should not have surprised me. :)

In malpractice case, Catholic hospital argues fetuses aren?t people | The Colorado Independent

But when it came to mounting a defense in the Stodghill case, Catholic Health’s lawyers effectively turned the Church directives on their head. Catholic organizations have for decades fought to change federal and state laws that fail to protect “unborn persons,” and Catholic Health’s lawyers in this case had the chance to set precedent bolstering anti-abortion legal arguments. Instead, they are arguing state law protects doctors from liability concerning unborn fetuses on grounds that those fetuses are not persons with legal rights.

As Jason Langley, an attorney with Denver-based Kennedy Childs, argued in one of the briefs he filed for the defense, the court “should not overturn the long-standing rule in Colorado that the term ‘person,’ as is used in the Wrongful Death Act, encompasses only individuals born alive. Colorado state courts define ‘person’ under the Act to include only those born alive. Therefore Plaintiffs cannot maintain wrongful death claims based on two unborn fetuses.”

This should prove very interesting. It's only a fetus when - what? What's the deciding factor? Your legal butt isn't on the line?

Its only a fetus when the mother was raped. If the mother wasn't raped then its a baby!

Forum List

Back