In lieu of a PM to Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
Who asked me if I think the censors are biased?

FWIW, I think all censorship for any reason is an abuse of power.

It is impossible to be a censor and not abuse that power no matter how hard you try.

Power corrupts.

Notice I started out by saying "for what it's worth?"

My opinion on this subject, given that this board does not pretend to be unbiased, isn't worth shit, Mani.

Now, were I the arbitor of posts here?

If I were presumpuous enough to think I had the right to censor other people's posts?

Half the nasty, mean-spirited anti-intellectual, imbeciles on this board would be gone.

Not censored... banished from this board.

They contribute nothing but their idiotic malicious spew to this place.

Happily for all concerned (myself, most notably) I am not in charge of this board's content.

If offered such a post I would decline the offer.

So, do I think censors come here with their own biases?

Hell yes!

No human being on earth could not come at that task without biases, could they?

Certainly I know my vast limitations.

I do even not pretend to be neutral.

It is impossible to be a censor and not abuse that power no matter how hard you try.

Power corrupts.

My opinion on this subject, given that this board does not pretend to be unbiased, isn't worth shit, Mani.

If I were presumpuous enough to think I had the right to censor other people's posts?

Half the nasty, mean-spirited anti-intellectual, imbeciles on this board would be gone.

Happily for all concerned (myself, most notably) I am not in charge of this board's content.

Hell yes!

Seriously I cannot think of a less 'biased' board, but with the word 'board' comes private. With private comes 'limits.' The limits really depend on management and owner and in this case I'd say it's pretty hands off and free wheeling. But there are limits. Unwarranted attacks on a mod who is doing what they are asked, unfair.

Then when given no less than 2 warnings, proceeds to send mass pm? Begging to be banned.

Power corrupts.

Hell yes!

Seriously I cannot think of a less 'biased' board, but with the word 'board' comes private. With private comes 'limits.' The limits really depend on management and owner and in this case I'd say it's pretty hands off and free wheeling. But there are limits. Unwarranted attacks on a mod who is doing what they are asked, unfair.

Then when given no less than 2 warnings, proceeds to send mass pm? Begging to be banned.

Can't add a whole lot to Kathianne's post.

I reopened this thread because I opened the can of worms to begin with.

As long as manifold's attack remained against me and on a personal level, I let it go. The problem here is he was determined to get a reaction an dkept upping the ante trying to do so. That was fine too.

Until he attacked a mod for merging his threads/polls that were basically all the same rant. Then he decided to spam-mail as many members as he could trying to do nothing but cause trouble.

That wasn't personal. He attacked the staff of this board for daring touch one of his precious threads. As a result, he's doing time out.

I disagree on the abuse of power statement. Any use of power is not abusing it. Some people understand only one thing ... force. Push hard enough and when it becomes the only remaining option, then that's what you get and it's fully-justified, IMO.

I second your post Gunny. Dis was not only being fair, was doing so in the face of being personally attacked.

This is a very fair board 99% of the time. There is one person who threatened me with bodily harm on multiple occassions and the moderators took care of him immediately. (Yet another good reason NEVER to let anyone know too much about you or where you live.) Time outs are good. Even I probably need them on occassion. I say live and let live (which is easy to say when you've got a loaded 9mm by your side at all times).

I think perhaps the perception is that the board is slanted because there is only one openly liberal mod, Jillian. Every other mod and/or admin is a liberal hating con...or so it would seem.

I think perhaps the perception is that the board is slanted because there is only one openly liberal mod, Jillian. Every other mod and/or admin is a liberal hating con...or so it would seem.

While perception is everything, sometimes perception is wrong. We all do this for fun. None of us do this because we somehow get our jollies from the little bit of internet power we have. This is our home, too, and the one thing we uniformly agree on is that we do not want either a left or right wing cesspool in which to play. BTW, Gunny's pick of me to be a mod had nothing to do with my politics. The same goes for all of the other moderators, too.

I've made mistakes, everyone's made mistakes, but no one intentionally sets out to shut down opposing viewpoints though each of us has been accused of it at times, and perhaps we each have our things to which we might react more strongly than others.

We have very few rules here. Disrespecting the sandbox we play in is one; Disrespecting mods openly is another... because then there would only be anarchy and none of us would enjoy it very much.

I haven't decided if I think you should think less, or think more.

Your Mods are:

Abelian Sea
CrimsonWhite
Del
Dis
Jillian

Where have you seen any one of those people attack liberals just for the sake of being liberals?

Where have you seen them display nothing but hate toward liberals just for being liberals?

Once you've answered those and backed them up with links to prove your point, we'll move on to you openly hating conservatives just for being conservative. (Oh, and I have MY links ready).

i agree with ed there is always bias..its just human nature...try as you might to rise above it...you will show it at times...if the mods never upset people then they basically would not be doing their jobs...i think perhaps an appeals court might be needed lol....but i do think manie's threads should have been allowed....or kept...as admins and moderators you got to be thick skinned plus who were the threads really making look bad....personally it was like watching two boxers when i dont have money on either one of them...hell i dont care who wins....but hope both sides get in some good licks.
but then again i have not been on this board long....so my opinion is that in depth...
i dont know the history of all this..nor do i care....boards are what they are...you either live with it or leave

i agree with ed there is always bias..its just human nature...try as you might to rise above it...you will show it at times...if the mods never upset people then they basically would not be doing their jobs...i think perhaps an appeals court might be needed lol....but i do think manie's threads should have been allowed....or kept...as admins and moderators you got to be thick skinned plus who were the threads really making look bad....personally it was like watching two boxers when i dont have money on either one of them...hell i dont care who wins....but hope both sides get in some good licks.
but then again i have not been on this board long....so my opinion is that in depth...
i dont know the history of all this..nor do i care....boards are what they are...you either live with it or leave

Mani's threads WERE allowed, and kept. They were simply combined into one, because they were all about the same exact thing - same as all of the election threads that were identical (and found).. They were simply merged. Not closed.

Your Mods are:

Abelian Sea
CrimsonWhite
Del
Dis
Jillian
DavidS

Where have you seen any one of those people attack liberals just for the sake of being liberals?

Where have you seen them display nothing but hate toward liberals just for being liberals?

Once you've answered those and backed them up with links to prove your point, we'll move on to you openly hating conservatives just for being conservative. (Oh, and I have MY links ready).

:eusa_whistle:

Your Mods are:

Abelian Sea
CrimsonWhite
Del
Dis
Jillian

:lol: I rest my case.

You can't even make a cohesive and logical post, unlike Jillian, who defended ALL of you. You want PROOF that the more con leaning mods attack liberals JUST for being liberal. Well sorry, I can't provide links where they openly admit to this behavior and therefore it is merely a perception of such behavior, just as the links you've supposedly gathered of my con hating are YOUR perception not necessarily reality.

We all see things through our own filter and you obviously see my opposition of the stupidity displayed in threads like "obama isn't attending his grandmother's funeral" as being hatred for conservatives...allow me to correct you...it's hatred for ignorance.... and there are ignorant fucks on the liberal side too and I've stated as much.

You can't even make a cohesive and logical post, unlike Jillian, who defended ALL of you. You want PROOF that the more con leaning mods attack liberals JUST for being liberal. Well sorry, I can't provide links where they openly admit to this behavior and therefore it is merely a perception of such behavior, just as the links you've supposedly gathered of my con hating are YOUR perception not necessarily reality.

We all see things through our own filter and you obviously see my opposition of the stupidity displayed in threads like "obama isn't attending his grandmother's funeral" as being hatred for conservatives...allow me to correct you...it's hatred for ignorance.... and there are ignorant fucks on the liberal side too and I've stated as much.

Perhaps you should rest your mouth, instead of a case you don't even have.

Jillian was speaking for all, as was Dis responding to an attack. Do you get it? They were responding the same.

Your perception, perhaps. Where are you looking from though? And what position have you seen those you think are "liberal-hating cons" put in? To the "con hating libs" on the board, anything to the right of them is a "liberal-hating con" and it's reflected in the way we get treated. Deflections, personal attacks and/or just ignoring what we post.

I have not chosen one moderator based on that person's political ideology.
I choose the best PEOPLE I can, and I choose from the time periods I need them on.

While you might "perceive" some of us as "liberal-hating cons," you don't see liberals getting banned because we disagree with their politics. Almost without exception, people get banned here for going after staff members or the board or spamming and I will and have sent conservatives packing every bit as fast as I will a liberal for doing it.

Yes, I do, since that was your ultimate accusation, cloaked in "perception". In each case a Mod takes action, it's pointed out specifically which rule is broken.

In your case, every one of your posts contains the phrase "All you lib hating cons"; no matter the topic.

.....None of us do this because we somehow get our jollies from the little bit of internet power we have.

Will I be banned if I say that I disagree that that statement applies to one of the mods here?

So be it. Ban me.

This board is one of the fairest I've ever seen. I would hate to see it go downhill. Mods are human too and need to recognize they make mistakes sometimes.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Point is, mani WAS allowed his threads. They were just merged into one. Spamming is against the board rules. Posting thread after thread that basically says the same thing with a different title falls under spamming, IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but when I click on a forum I don't want to weed through 20 threads that say "Sarah Palin is the antichrist" or "Gunny Sucks" to find something of interest. Redundant threads, where found, have always been merged as a matter of administrative practice. This wasn't something new or arbitrary aimed specifically at manifold.

Fact is, he was trying so hard to get under my skin he got so desperate he got under his own and lost his cool.

Could one of you fabulous mods please correct the spelling in the thread title?
it's "lieu".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back