In late-night drama, Senate passes $1.3 trillion spending bill, averting government shutdown

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
In late-night drama, Senate passes $1.3 trillion spending bill, averting government shutdown

I'd call this a win for the Democrats..and a horselaugh for every Republican that ran on a platform of fiscal responsibility--this bill is also a slap in the fact to Trump:

"Congress cleared a sweeping $1.3 trillion spending bill early Friday and sent it to President Trump for his signature, staving off a government shutdown with less than 24 hours to spare.

Throughout the maneuvering, the ultimate outcome was not in question: The legislation would pass, bringing budget increases to federal agencies large and small, from the National Institutes of Health to the National Park Service to the Election Assistance Commission.

“Sometimes you save the president from himself,” said Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), arguing the administration would not want to be in the position of cutting something like the NIH budget if a new pandemic comes along. “Look, a new administration always runs on things, and may or may not know government intimately.”

Conservatives fumed at the generous increases for many agencies, with some arguing it undercut their party’s claims to fiscal restraint.

“The Democrats love this bill like the devil loves sin,” said Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.). “I don’t understand why when President Obama does what we’re about to do, it’s bad for the country, but when we do it, it’s good for the country.”

Other Republicans, including House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), argued the legislation fulfilled Trump’s governing agenda, including increasing military spending and funding a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“This bill starts construction on the wall,” he told reporters. “It funds our war on opioids. It invests in infrastructure. It funds school safety and mental health. But what this bill is ultimately about, what we’ve fought for so long, is finally giving our military the tools and the resources it needs to do the job.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called the bill “a tremendous victory for the American people,” one that keeps domestic agencies robustly funded while turning away Trump’s push for even more money for the border wall and immigration enforcement.

“If you want to think you’re getting a wall, just think it, and sign the bill,” she said.

The bill includes $1.6 billion in funding for construction of a border wall, but that number is far short of the $25 billion in long-term funding that the administration sought, and Democrats also won tight restrictions on how that money can be spent.

"Conservatives fumed at the generous increases for many agencies, with some arguing it undercut their party’s claims to fiscal restraint."

Conservatives fail to understand that ‘fiscal restraint’ is often at odds with responsible governance; cutting funding only to blindly adhere to failed, wrongheaded rightist economic dogma is simply being reckless and irresponsible.

I'm just wondering - so this spending bill gets signed by the president and becomes law. Does the president have to actually spend the money on items he doesn't like? In other words, hold back funds?

I can't find anything on it.

One other note - it's going to have to go through the reconciliation process - meshing the House and Senate versions before sending it to the president.

As for the politics of the measure – what are ‘true’ conservatives to do now?

They put Trump in the WH in response to a similar spending bill passed in 2015, to ‘punish’ the Republican ‘establishment’ and to destroy the edifice of ‘big’ government.

I'm just wondering - so this spending bill gets signed by the president and becomes law. Does the president have to actually spend the money on items he doesn't like? In other words, hold back funds?

One other note - it's going to have to go through the reconciliation process - meshing the House and Senate versions before sending it to the president.

The POTUS does not actually spend the money, the agencies do. Once the bill is signed, they have the authority to spend it and Trump cannot stop them. Once it is signed, the funds are essentially in their bank accounts.

It already has been reconciled, it is now on Trump's desk where his budget director says he will sign it.

The POTUS does not actually spend the money, the agencies do. Once the bill is signed, they have the authority to spend it and Trump cannot stop them. Once it is signed, the funds are essentially in their bank accounts.

It already has been reconciled, it is now on Trump's desk where his budget director says he will sign it.

Uh, I might disagree with you. The President is the Chief Executive of the United States and all departments/agencies of the Executive Branch answer to him through those individuals he appoints. They swear an oath as follows:

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Those duties are assigned by the president within the authorization for the position determined by law or executive directives or regulations. If he tells them NOT to spend the money, what is their duty?

Despite our nation’s bitter partisan divide, there’s one issue the establishments of both political parties can come together on: shafting the American people and saddling our young people with trillions in debt.
Republican & Democrat Establishment Unite to Shaft America With $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If the idiots of society even have an inkling of high school mathematics we wouldn't have a nation severely dumbed down within the con jobs of democratic brainwashing.
Then we have .......... Immigration morons who just think they have the power to dictate our Country .....as far as sheep morons go they do.
upload_2018-3-23_7-46-56.png

‘Antithesis of American Interests:’ Immigration Reformers Blast GOP Omnibus as ‘Betrayal’ to U.S. Workers

Last edited:
Despite our nation’s bitter partisan divide, there’s one issue the establishments of both political parties can come together on: shafting the American people and saddling our young people with trillions in debt.
Republican & Democrat Establishment Unite to Shaft America With $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If the idiots of society even have an inkling of high school mathematics we wouldn't have a nation severely dumbed down within the con jobs of democratic brainwashing.
Then we have .......... Immigration morons who just think they have the power to dictate our Country .....as far as sheep morons go they do.
View attachment 184232
‘Antithesis of American Interests:’ Immigration Reformers Blast GOP Omnibus as ‘Betrayal’ to U.S. Workers
Infowars? No thanks.

Forum List

Back