In IRS Protest, Pastors Back Candidates

I don't think that pastors should endorse candidates. So many followers think this is like God Speaking...

I have a friend who in 2000 voted for Bush because she saw her Pastor had a Bush sign in his front yard.... of course she slaps herself now for it :lol:

Let pastors, rabbis and imams flap their gums all they want. But tax the churches. If we taxed synagogues alone, we could erase the national debt in five years.

I don't think that pastors should endorse candidates. So many followers think this is like God Speaking...

I have a friend who in 2000 voted for Bush because she saw her Pastor had a Bush sign in his front yard.... of course she slaps herself now for it :lol:

Your friend is an idiot, but we knew that because idiots usually befriend idiots.

Pastors can endorse whoever they want, however loudly they want. Celebrities endorse candidates everyday, and it persuades young people to think it's the "hip" thing to support whatever candidate their favorite celebrity supports. If people are persuaded to vote simply because someone else votes for a certain candidate, it's their own stupidity. Unfortunately, it's one of the problems this country is so fucked now, and will continue to be fucked.

Pastors can endorse whoever they want, however loudly they want. Celebrities endorse candidates everyday, and it persuades young people to think it's the "hip" thing to support whatever candidate their favorite celebrity supports. If people are persuaded to vote simply because someone else votes for a certain candidate, it's their own stupidity. Unfortunately, it's one of the problems this country is so fucked now, and will continue to be fucked.

No, actually they can't. Celebrities don't have tax-free status. Churches do. Hence the difference.

Its amusing that you call someone an idiot while simultaneously stating obvious untruths about the tax code.

No, actually they can't. Celebrities don't have tax-free status. Churches do. Hence the difference.

Its amusing that you call someone an idiot while simultaneously stating obvious untruths about the tax code.
he's only wrong about pastors being able to freely endorse
the rest he is dead on about

Isn't it funny, how so-called conservatives act like they have been ejected from their party by the Christian Right and other such false profits like Robertson and Dobson. Yet they don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up to them, in an effort to oust them and reclaim their party. They have slept with the devil for so long to get their votes. But when the beast has turned on them and taken over they have no balls to do anything about it!:eusa_doh: Where are the warmongering conservatives when you need them? This talk of God told us to invade Iraq, and any other nation in Bush's axis of evil is INSANE! They even have Sarah Palin spewing and invoking god and military action. McCain has jumped in bed with the devil too, just to pander to a huge chunk of the Republican electorate. He's got to activate "His" base!:eusa_naughty: You would never see Dwight D. Eisenhower, or Barry Goldwater selling their soul in such a fashion. Now is your chance to take back your pathetic party, and help block this legal action. How can you do this? You can write letters stating your opposition to such behavior. You can show up, you can petition, you can speak out, you can write your representative. I have offered ideas on how you can take the first step to take back your party. So which is it going to be. The cowardly way, or the courageous way?:eusa_whistle:

So long as the Pastors don't endorse candidates as part of their preaching, who cares.

As private citizens, they have every right to have an opinion and express it.

Your friend is an idiot, but we knew that because idiots usually befriend idiots.

It's different than celebrity endorsement. These pastors tell their parishoners it's their "christian duty" to vote a certain way. There's never been anything wrong with religious leaders taking political stands in the sense of civil rights, contributing time/money... its the politicing on behalf of a candidate that they aren't allowed to do.

And I'm not sure you understand just how influential churches are in the lives of the religious right...

I hope they pull their tax exemptions.

Did Jeremiah Wright step down because he was comparing Barack and Hillary?

It's different than celebrity endorsement. These pastors tell their parishoners it's their "christian duty" to vote a certain way. There's never been anything wrong with religious leaders taking political stands in the sense of civil rights, contributing time/money... its the politicing on behalf of a candidate that they aren't allowed to do.

And I'm not sure you understand just how influential churches are in the lives of the religious right...

I hope they pull their tax exemptions.

I agree that they should not be tax exempt, but I guarantee you that a black preacher like Wright is far more influential over his flock than any white preacher in this election.

Some celebrity endorsements are major deal breakers. When Hillary lost Oprah, I knew she'd lose the primaries.

I agree that they should not be tax exempt, but I guarantee you that a black preacher like Wright is far more influential over his flock than any white preacher in this election.

Some celebrity endorsements are major deal breakers. When Hillary lost Oprah, I knew she'd lose the primaries.
pulling the tax exempt status will interfere with the first amendment
when you go to the point of enforcement
it can restrict the free exercize

Forum List

Back