In Homework Revolt, School Districts Cut Back

Galloway is ranked 410 out of 553 NJ school districts. Less homework is not the answer LINK

This during a time when we need more good teachers out there. But considering how teachers in this country are no longer considered an asset is going to deter those who would be good at teaching to stay away from it. They are being demonized like I have never dreamed I would see. And Ive been alive for 70 some years.

Although I do believe in private schooling, I do not believe in cutting back on public school funding. The majority of the population "cannot" afford private schooling, and there is alot to be said about this. Private schooling is more sensitive to the learning of children than public institutions as well as the religious aspects. This is the united states. Religion should be put back into our public schools, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Also, the taxes that are paid for public schools is way out of control. There is too much government in our pockets. Why not allow the people to pick and choose the schools they want their children to be "brought" up in and use the taxes paid for this purpose.

I agree with you, i also have a same opinion.

This during a time when we need more good teachers out there. But considering how teachers in this country are no longer considered an asset is going to deter those who would be good at teaching to stay away from it. They are being demonized like I have never dreamed I would see. And Ive been alive for 70 some years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/education/16homework.html

Way to go, make the kids dumber by complaining and cutting back on homework, :rolleyes: These kids need to stay more into the books and mathematics than on video games and the internet.

I agree, the kids in this country need more schooling not less.

Actually, studies have shown that homework contributes very little to education. That most students learn FAR more by doing schoolwork IN the classroom rather than having homework they do on their own. Now certainly I would agree with you if you made the claim that this was because students, and people in general, have became incapable of doing much of anything on their own; but the reality is the reality.

I sit on a school board, and our school gives NO homework past the 6th grade. Now we do have projects which students have to complete over a certain amount of time, and a smart student certainly works on those at home (all computerized) , but they don't have to.

I teach 4th currently and in 8 years I have consciously tried not to give a lot of homework. I rarely don't (as reading is a daily requirement), but I try because I know of the studies that show its not effective and I've seen it with my own eyes.

I try to verify comprehension of the standard in the classroom and make corrections then and there. Many times if students don't get it in the classroom they will not practice correctly either and my work becomes harder. Homework also becomes a drag on classroom time.

I have worked with many teachers that load their kids up every night and my kids perform just as well as theirs. I remain very alert to the results of my actions and worry if I am doing the right thing, but every year my kids perform great, and they like and respect me therefore they give me effort.

Parents sometimes don't like the fact their child has light homework or does it in class.

US Department of Education needs to be eliminate.

UFT needs to be treated like they were domestic terrorists

Forum List

Back