In France, Some Muslims Seek To 'Adapt' Islam To Secular Culture

Quakers aren't culturally exterminated.

my mom always used QUAKER OATS to make oatmeal cookies -----(the most nutritious cookie in her POV)
They sold out to General Mills. The Oats are now being sprayed just like the majority of grain crops with chemicals prior to harvesting. Not worth a shit for breakfast anymore :crybaby:.

oh......gee-------the cookies were good--------raisins in them

in my youth------I had a boyfriend whose parents were quakers
Did you have some problems with them?
Sometimes it's not easy having to do with very religious people :)

they were not INTO it-----other than he mentioned it. He was an only child----his parents were old for parents of a 20 year old and were secular people------but he knew the bible

Quakers were and are just like most other peoples.Some are/were decent some are/were not. Family member in hubby's history were Quakers ultimately later some of them help establish a local church of God (holy rollers is what they are called by a lot of people). There is one that actually help Lincoln and he was also the one who drafted/wrote the emancipation proclamation here in Iowa that was passed by the legislators in the 1800's. He was also a railroad man who helped get the rails through here plus they owned lots of property here.

Quakers were and are just like most other peoples.Some are/were decent some are/were not. Family member in hubby's history were Quakers ultimately later some of them help establish a local church of God (holy rollers is what they are called by a lot of people). There is one that actually help Lincoln and he was also the one who drafted/wrote the emancipation proclamation here in Iowa that was passed by the legislators in the 1800's. He was also a railroad man who helped get the rails through here plus they owned lots of property here.

on the negative side-----NIXON's family was quaker

Muslims see what happened to Christianity when it went through a so called reformation. Basically, compromising it's core values to adopt secular morays, ignoring parts of scripture non-christians found offensive, and losing its political and spiritual influence on society's values and morals.

Now christianity is a mere shell of it's former self, and membership is only a fraction of what it was.

We muslims refuse to allow that to happen to our religion of Islam. ...... :cool:

on the negative side-----NIXON's family was quaker
Yeah good and bad in everything. Hubby has had some nasty religious (holier than thou) thieves in his family (his dad had warned him about them). Thankfully they are dying or dead or gone onto their rewards at this point. Nasty people regardless of religious beliefs or backgrounds can do a lot of damage.

Muslims see what happened to Christianity when it went through a so called reformation. Basically, compromising it's core values to adopt secular morays, ignoring parts of scripture non-christians found offensive, and losing its political and spiritual influence on society's values and morals.

Now christianity is a mere shell of it's former self, and membership is only a fraction of what it was.

We muslims refuse to allow that to happen to our religion of Islam. ...... :cool:

the biggest differences include------one does not get thrown off a high tower for
leaving. The most attractive part is----raping &/or murdering a "kaffir"----
is socially and monetarily compensable and a fast ticket to Jannah

Well...personally speaking...I'm kinda glad Christians aren't into barbecuing heretics anymore...kinda sucked.

Well...personally speaking...I'm kinda glad Christians aren't into barbecuing heretics anymore...kinda sucked.
Nowhere in Christian scriptures does it call for the burning of heretics at the stake. But some people do crazy stuff. ..... :cuckoo:

True. The problem wasn't Mohammed or Jesus. They were pretty cool dudes for their time. Had a good message. Problem is all those pesky followers....:eusa_think:

AWWW...... nuthin like toasted AUTO DE FE marshmallows-------nice music too

Nowhere in Christian scriptures does it call for the burning of heretics at the stake. But some people do crazy stuff. ..... :cuckoo:

True. The problem wasn't Mohammed or Jesus. They were pretty cool dudes for their time. Had a good message. Problem is all those pesky followers....:eusa_think:

you don't know much about Muhummad---do you? do not buy a Koran-----muslims give them out for free-------they are ALL OVER THE PLACE in
book discard dumps. Jesus had nothing to do with canon law and the inquisition------its a ROMAN MODEL

for his time-----in the midst of roman occupation and barbarity-----Jesus was a typical Pharisee of the school of Hillel. For his time---in Mecca----a city replete with TRADERS who were not only literate themselves----but knowledgeable in the arts and sciences both east (that generally means India and Persia---at that time) and west (Egypt) and (well---north west) like Greece and Rome, muhummad was an ambitious, illiterate criminal of the group of persons generally known as ISHMAELITES---illiterate highway robbers (caravan robbers) parasites off the Zoroastrian, Christian, Jewish and Sabean merchant types. He conquered in the "holy" Islamic manner----rape,
pillage, murder and oppression
Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, Ethiopian etc-----business type people

^^^^^^^^^ Anytime irosie appears and starts posting on a thread.

Her off topic derailing of the OP's subject matter, means the death of the thread. As poster's become weary of her insane rants and move on. ...... :cool:

^^^^^^^^^ Anytime irosie appears and starts posting on a thread.

Her off topic derailing of the OP's subject matter, means the death of the thread. As poster's become weary of her insane rants and move on. ...... :cool:

awww ... don't go, sunni dear

A wise man, and a brave one in light of extremists - I think this is yet another good step towards adaptation of an ancient religion to modern times - much needed :)

"We have to rethink Islamic doctrines in light of our times," says Oubrou. "One of the reasons for the violence is that some people are interpreting these medieval canons literally. So we have to take Islam out of the context of ancient Arab-Muslim civilizations and adapt it to a modern, globalized, secular society, like France."

He makes an interesting distinction about French culture vs Anglo culture as well (which I had not realized):

The French model of society is based on the teachings of enlightenment philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseauit's one of assimilation, Oubrou says, where all differences are meant to be erased. He says France emphasizes equality rather than liberty. This, he says, is the opposite of Britain and the U.S.

"In the Anglo-Saxon model, there's a preference for liberty," says Oubrou. "So the system doesn't promise equality and equal salaries. France promises equality, but falls short. And this is what creates the frustration that can lead to violence."

Oubrou says young Muslims face discrimination and often don't feel they're fully French. He says their Muslim culture is one reason for the discrimination.

...Oubrou says young Muslims are often ignorant of the spiritual side of their faith but some embrace Islam as a cultural identity — and as a shield, to protect themselves from what they see as a hostile society that considers them second-class citizens.

"Religion is supposed to be for sharing. And once we transform it for protection, we are confiscating God and spirituality," he says.

The article is worth the read!

All historical attempts to "secularize" Islam have failed. See Iraq and Turkey. All Islamic countries are one of two types, either a "secular" government that rules its people with an iron fist without allowing any religious types to have power, or a theocracy that rules the population with an iron fist and doesn't allow any secular types any power. If "democracy" is practiced in any Islamic country, the people vote for the extremist leaders every time. A Muslim is the greatest threat to freedom in the world.

A wise man, and a brave one in light of extremists - I think this is yet another good step towards adaptation of an ancient religion to modern times - much needed :)

"We have to rethink Islamic doctrines in light of our times," says Oubrou. "One of the reasons for the violence is that some people are interpreting these medieval canons literally. So we have to take Islam out of the context of ancient Arab-Muslim civilizations and adapt it to a modern, globalized, secular society, like France."

He makes an interesting distinction about French culture vs Anglo culture as well (which I had not realized):

The French model of society is based on the teachings of enlightenment philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseauit's one of assimilation, Oubrou says, where all differences are meant to be erased. He says France emphasizes equality rather than liberty. This, he says, is the opposite of Britain and the U.S.

"In the Anglo-Saxon model, there's a preference for liberty," says Oubrou. "So the system doesn't promise equality and equal salaries. France promises equality, but falls short. And this is what creates the frustration that can lead to violence."

Oubrou says young Muslims face discrimination and often don't feel they're fully French. He says their Muslim culture is one reason for the discrimination.

...Oubrou says young Muslims are often ignorant of the spiritual side of their faith but some embrace Islam as a cultural identity — and as a shield, to protect themselves from what they see as a hostile society that considers them second-class citizens.

"Religion is supposed to be for sharing. And once we transform it for protection, we are confiscating God and spirituality," he says.

The article is worth the read!

All historical attempts to "secularize" Islam have failed. See Iraq and Turkey. All Islamic countries are one of two types, either a "secular" government that rules its people with an iron fist without allowing any religious types to have power, or a theocracy that rules the population with an iron fist and doesn't allow any secular types any power. If "democracy" is practiced in any Islamic country, the people vote for the extremist leaders every time. A Muslim is the greatest threat to freedom in the world.

historically, Islam is an up and down thing------like a SIN WAVE. -----watch morocco (very moderate historically-----sorta------you can find out about it from
Moroccan jews) IMHO-----Morocco's islam is on the UPSWING and that country
is going to go a bit RADICAL

Forum List

Back