In-Depth Fortune Story on "Fast & Furious" Paints Totally Different Picture Than Issa

Jun 9, 2012
No-Neg-Rep Town, USA
The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal - Fortune Features

Indeed, a six-month Fortune investigation reveals that the public case alleging that Voth and his colleagues walked guns is replete with distortions, errors, partial truths, and even some outright lies. Fortune reviewed more than 2,000 pages of confidential ATF documents and interviewed 39 people, including seven law-enforcement agents with direct knowledge of the case. Several, including Voth, are speaking out for the first time.

So...now what, Right Wing nutjobs? Where's your indignation going to rest if it turns out this was, at the end of the day, a fuck up and nothing more?

"Republican senators are whipping up the country into a psychotic frenzy with these reports that are patently false," says Linda Wallace, a special agent with the Internal Revenue Service's criminal investigation unit who was assigned to the Fast and Furious team (and recently retired from the IRS). A self-described gun-rights supporter, Wallace has not been criticized by Issa's committee.

Quite simply, there's a fundamental misconception at the heart of the Fast and Furious scandal. Nobody disputes that suspected straw purchasers under surveillance by the ATF repeatedly bought guns that eventually fell into criminal hands. Issa and others charge that the ATF intentionally allowed guns to walk as an operational tactic. But five law-enforcement agents directly involved in Fast and Furious tell Fortune that the ATF had no such tactic. They insist they never purposefully allowed guns to be illegally trafficked. Just the opposite: They say they seized weapons whenever they could but were hamstrung by prosecutors and weak laws, which stymied them at every turn.

When all this gets out, and you know it will, I know the Right Wing will say it's all bullshit, but it's looking more and more like Issa's crusade against Holder and ultimately Obama is full of half-truths and lies. Or as we call it in the biz: BULLSHIT.

Good times, guys. Way to gin-up a scandal!

Yea I am sure Fortune knows so much more than Issa does.

And if nothing bad is happening, why wouldn't the Hussein and Holder just give them the documents they want?

And if nothing bad is happening, why wouldn't the Hussein and Holder just give them the documents they want?

when im not lying and the dems are always going to say right wing thinkers are lying, i always hold back the information that will prove my innocence or i like to hide it and play hot or cold?

What do u guys do when ur telling the truth? Spill it all so u can prove u are right, or do u old back and say "not getting it neener neener neener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Simply give over the documents. It is that easy.

I wonder if these people will tell the same story if they are put under oath.

However, none of that matters. Even if it turns out that it was nothing more than mistakes being made, people have died and someone has to answer for that.

Holder is at the top and ultimately responsible and will be the one to answer for these wrongful deaths.

/end discussion.

• Banned

I knew this would be your response. Good. I'm glad that Conservatives still don't understand what real journalism looks like.

The point, dear stupids, is that indeed the Fortune investigation DOES know more than Issa, because unlike Issa, they actually did some real investigation, asked questions of the ATF unit in question, you know, silly things like that.

Ha ha ha. This story WILL be the next Clinton Blowjob. Enjoy the loss of credibility, fuckos.

I knew this would be your response. Good. I'm glad that Conservatives still don't understand what real journalism looks like.

The point, dear stupids, is that indeed the Fortune investigation DOES know more than Issa, because unlike Issa, they actually did some real investigation, asked questions of the ATF unit in question, you know, silly things like that.

Ha ha ha. This story WILL be the next Clinton Blowjob. Enjoy the loss of credibility, fuckos.

You say a lot of stupid shit.

You have just outdone yourself.

Congrats, I guess.

:lol:

ConservaDouche - you're a moran!!! That is all.

Morans.jpg

So somehow Fortune Magazine was able to get a hold of documents that the DOJ won't release to a Congressional committee??

Personally, I'd be more apt to believe those ATF folks if their documents match their words, but unfortunately Eric Withholder doesn't want to give any of us that opportunity.

Why is that?

So somehow Fortune Magazine was able to get a hold of documents that the DOJ won't release to a Congressional committee??

Personally, I'd be more apt to believe those ATF folks if their documents match their words, but unfortunately Eric Withholder doesn't want to give any of us that opportunity.

Why is that?

No. Somehow they were able to actually speak to the people involved and listened. Amazing how journalism works,huh?

Indeed, a six-month Fortune investigation reveals that the public case alleging that Voth and his colleagues walked guns is replete with distortions, errors, partial truths, and even some outright lies. Fortune reviewed more than 2,000 pages of confidential ATF documents and interviewed 39 people, including seven law-enforcement agents with direct knowledge of the case. Several, including Voth, are speaking out for the first time.

So...now what, Right Wing nutjobs? Where's your indignation going to rest if it turns out this was, at the end of the day, a fuck up and nothing more?

"Republican senators are whipping up the country into a psychotic frenzy with these reports that are patently false," says Linda Wallace, a special agent with the Internal Revenue Service's criminal investigation unit who was assigned to the Fast and Furious team (and recently retired from the IRS). A self-described gun-rights supporter, Wallace has not been criticized by Issa's committee.

Quite simply, there's a fundamental misconception at the heart of the Fast and Furious scandal. Nobody disputes that suspected straw purchasers under surveillance by the ATF repeatedly bought guns that eventually fell into criminal hands. Issa and others charge that the ATF intentionally allowed guns to walk as an operational tactic. But five law-enforcement agents directly involved in Fast and Furious tell Fortune that the ATF had no such tactic. They insist they never purposefully allowed guns to be illegally trafficked. Just the opposite: They say they seized weapons whenever they could but were hamstrung by prosecutors and weak laws, which stymied them at every turn.

When all this gets out, and you know it will, I know the Right Wing will say it's all bullshit, but it's looking more and more like Issa's crusade against Holder and ultimately Obama is full of half-truths and lies. Or as we call it in the biz: BULLSHIT.

CBS which is by no means a right wing media outlet broke this story and come to a vastly different conclusion than Fortune.

Get your diaper on and your Immodium AD extra strength in your hand ready to swallow. Check the date on this article. Just one of many.

October 3, 2011 5:59 PM

ATF Fast and Furious: New documents show Attorney General Eric Holder was briefed in July 2010

WASHINGTON - New documents obtained by CBS News show Attorney General Eric Holder was sent briefings on the controversial Fast and Furious operation as far back as July 2010. That directly contradicts his statement to Congress.

On May 3, 2011, Holder told a Judiciary Committee hearing, "I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

Yet internal Justice Department documents show that at least ten months before that hearing, Holder began receiving frequent memos discussing Fast and Furious.

And I just love this attempt a CYA.:D

The Justice Department told CBS News that the officials in those emails were talking about a different case started before Eric Holder became Attorney General.

And tonight they tell CBS News, Holder misunderstood that question from the committee - he did know about Fast and Furious - just not the details.

He didn't know the details. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

ATF Fast and Furious: New documents show Attorney General Eric Holder was briefed in July 2010 - CBS News Investigates - CBS News

they will look like they always do when they go wingnuttilicious.

Why is that?

No. Somehow they were able to actually speak to the people involved and listened. Amazing how journalism works,huh?

Not kidding about the Immodium AD :D.

This is how journalism works.

Agent Dodson and other sources say the gun walking strategy was approved all the way up to the Justice Department. The idea was to see where the guns ended up, build a big case and take down a cartel. And it was all kept secret from Mexico.

ATF named the case "Fast and Furious."

Surveillance video obtained by CBS News shows suspected drug cartel suppliers carrying boxes of weapons to their cars at a Phoenix gun shop. The long boxes shown in the video being loaded in were AK-47-type assault rifles.

So it turns out ATF not only allowed it - they videotaped it.

Documents show the inevitable result: The guns that ATF let go began showing up at crime scenes in Mexico. And as ATF stood by watching thousands of weapons hit the streets... the Fast and Furious group supervisor noted the escalating Mexican violence.

One e-mail noted, "958 killed in March 2010 ... most violent month since 2005." The same e-mail notes: "Our subjects purchased 359 firearms during March alone," including "numerous Barrett .50 caliber rifles."

Dodson feels that ATF was partly to blame for the escalating violence in Mexico and on the border. "I even asked them if they could see the correlation between the two," he said. "The more our guys buy, the more violence we're having down there."

Senior agents including Dodson told CBS News they confronted their supervisors over and over.

Their answer, according to Dodson, was, "If you're going to make an omelette, you've got to break some eggs."

Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico - CBS News

The guns weren't allowed to get to Mexican guns without any tracking?

Yeah?

Is Fortune sure about that?

Why is that?

Not kidding about the Immodium AD :D.

This is how journalism works.

Agent Dodson and other sources say the gun walking strategy was approved all the way up to the Justice Department. The idea was to see where the guns ended up, build a big case and take down a cartel. And it was all kept secret from Mexico.

ATF named the case "Fast and Furious."

Surveillance video obtained by CBS News shows suspected drug cartel suppliers carrying boxes of weapons to their cars at a Phoenix gun shop. The long boxes shown in the video being loaded in were AK-47-type assault rifles.

So it turns out ATF not only allowed it - they videotaped it.

Documents show the inevitable result: The guns that ATF let go began showing up at crime scenes in Mexico. And as ATF stood by watching thousands of weapons hit the streets... the Fast and Furious group supervisor noted the escalating Mexican violence.

One e-mail noted, "958 killed in March 2010 ... most violent month since 2005." The same e-mail notes: "Our subjects purchased 359 firearms during March alone," including "numerous Barrett .50 caliber rifles."

Dodson feels that ATF was partly to blame for the escalating violence in Mexico and on the border. "I even asked them if they could see the correlation between the two," he said. "The more our guys buy, the more violence we're having down there."

Senior agents including Dodson told CBS News they confronted their supervisors over and over.

Their answer, according to Dodson, was, "If you're going to make an omelette, you've got to break some eggs."

Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico - CBS News

Yeah. You keep citing those old news stories. That'll totally keep this mess from blowing up in Issa's face.

I'll go with the in-depth investigative journalism that's more recent, okay?

You guys keep going with your current posture on this news:

fingers+in+ears.jpg

CBS's investigation is on going. They've been on Fast and Furious right from the get go. They have videos, documents, interviews, copies of emails.

CBS has shocked me by actually performing a random act of journalism. Their coverage is in depth and balls to the wall.

In typical liberal fashion you believe the Fortune investigation because it plays to your wet dreams of "evil radical lunatic conservatives trying to take down Obama over nothing".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back