In Case There Was Doubt In Who Is Running the US

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
it's Fox. Just when I'm ready to jump back on the bandwagon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060514/ap_on_go_co/immigration

Mexico's Fox Calls Bush to Discuss Border

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 52 minutes ago

Mexican President Vicente Fox telephoned President Bush on Sunday to discuss comprehensive immigration reform as members of Congress expressed concern that using National Guard troops to keep illegal immigrants from crossing the border would further burden an overextended military.

The criticism on the eve of Bush's planned Oval Office speech to the nation on immigration came from Democrats, but also an important Republican negotiator in the immigration debate — Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska. He said National Guard troops cannot secure the border over the long term and that he does not think it is wise even in the short term.

White House spokeswoman Maria Tamburri said Bush made clear to Fox in the morning telephone conversation that "the United States considered Mexico a friend and that what is being considered is not militarization of the border, but support of border capabilities on a temporary basis by the National Guard."

She said the two presidents discussed cooperative efforts under way along the border and that Bush reiterated to Fox "his commitment to comprehensive immigration reform."

She said Fox "reached out" to Bush, but she did not know how long the call lasted or the time it occurred.

A news release from Fox's office said the Mexican president initiated the call and characterized Bush as "analyzing the administrative and logistical support of part of the National Guard, not the army, to help police on the border."

The Mexican release said that Bush and Fox agreed that a comprehensive immigration reform is needed in the United States.

"In the conversation, President Bush reiterated his conviction that the migration issue can only be resolved with an integral and comprehensive reform," said the release.

"We've got National Guard members on their second, third and fourth tours in Iraq," Hagel said. "We have stretched our military as thin as we have ever seen it in modern times. And what in the world are we talking about here, sending a National Guard that we may not have any capacity to send up to or down to protect borders? That's not their role."

The president's national security adviser said sending troops to patrol the border with Mexico is among the ideas Bush is considering on immigration.

Bush planned to say in his national address at 8 p.m. EDT Monday how the government should deal with border security and illegal immigrants already in the United States, Stephen Hadley said.

"This is not about militarizing the border," Hadley said on "Face the Nation" on CBS. "The president is looking to do everything he can to secure the border. It's what the American people want."

Bush is considering the National Guard plan as he seeks support from conservatives in Congress for his immigration bill. Bush wants to allow foreigners to get temporary work permits to enter and work in the U.S., but many conservatives want a tougher approach on illegal immigrants trying to sneak into the country.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said he supported using the National Guard on the Mexican border. He said lawmakers who doubt that the National Guard, whose members have served for years in Iraq and went to the Gulf Coast after last summer's hurricanes, could take on border patrol duty are "whining" and "moaning."

"We've got to secure our borders," Frist said on CNN's "Late Edition." "We hear it from the American people. We've got millions of people coming across that border. First and foremost, secure the border, whatever it takes. Everything else we've done has failed. We've got to face that. And so we need to bring in, I believe, the National Guard."

Hagel said the bill under debate in the Senate that he helped write would double the 12,000-strong Border Patrol force over the next five years. "That's the way to fix it, not further stretching the National Guard," he said on ABC's "This Week."

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., said there may be a need for troops to fill in while the Border Patrol is bolstered. But he did not seem confident that the National Guard could take on the extra duty.

"We have stretched these men and women so thin, so thin, because of the bad mistakes done by the civilians in the military here, that I wonder how they're going to be able to do it," Biden said, also on ABC.

About 100 National Guard troops are serving on the border to assist with counter-drug operations, heavy equipment support and other functions. Bush is considering an increase into the thousands, and Hadley would not directly rule out using armed National Guard troops directly on guard duty.

Hadley also would not say whether Bush supports building a fence or wall along part of the border with Mexico. Hadley said the president and Congress will have to decide how immigrant workers who are in the U.S. illegally can become citizens.

Frist said the full Senate planned to begin debating the immigration bill Monday and that it would take up to two weeks to pass.

Senators would have to resolve any differences with the House version of the bill, which did not address the guest worker issue but increases penalties for illegal immigration activities and funds a 700-mile border fence.

dilloduck said:
That's what politicians do!

I get the idea lip service alone isn't going to satisfy anyone on this issue. I see it being dragged out to take a prominent role in 2008. Then, it's a matter of who is going to tell the best lie about what they're going to do.

GunnyL said:
I get the idea lip service alone isn't going to satisfy anyone on this issue. I see it being dragged out to take a prominent role in 2008. Then, it's a matter of who is going to tell the best lie about what they're going to do.

Agreed--I think Washington has realized it has actually gotta do something regarding our borders to satisfy us. (Odd concept). Both sides have been going crazy trying to find out the right angle to take. They may have to settle on some compromise so the whole lot of them don't get the boot.

dilloduck said:
Agreed--I think Washington has realized it has actually gotta do something regarding our borders to satisfy us. (Odd concept). Both sides have been going crazy trying to find out the right angle to take. They may have to settle on some compromise so the whole lot of them don't get the boot.

That's just it ... I don't see a compromise. Secure our border against illegal invasion is taking a stand.

GunnyL said:
That's just it ... I don't see a compromise. Secure our border against illegal invasion is taking a stand.

The answer is obviously a "comprehensive plan". I bet we hear that word tomorrow. :cof:

Forum List

Back