In Bolivia, Water and Ice Tell of Climate Change

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
The glaciers that have long provided water and electricity to this part of Bolivia are melting and disappearing, victims of global warming, most scientists say.

If the water problems are not solved, El Alto, a poor sister city of La Paz, could perhaps be the first large urban casualty of climate change. A World Bank report concluded last year that climate change would eliminate many glaciers in the Andes within 20 years, threatening the existence of nearly 100 million people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/science/earth/14bolivia.html

Now how can this be true if global warming skeptics are telling us that the world has been cooling down since 1998?

:eusa_eh:

I'll argue for them that this is a random event as part of our departure from the ice age, a natural recession of the glaciers, or part of a natural warming cycle.

Really I don't believe it, but I'll make sure conversation isn't boring.

Ravi, tell me the scary story about the Glacier Eating CO2 Spaghetti Monster!

Oooohhhh, I'm so scared!

Has anyone thought to tell this to Phil Jones? You know he resigned in disgrace, right?

So the data contained in the emails that show the data to be fudged and that the scientists were really struggling to show increased temps really isn't there and we are all just hallucinating due to the extreme heat? :lol:

Has anyone thought to tell this to Phil Jones? You know he resigned in disgrace, right?

I heard he has an iced tea booth set up in the red light district and in between tricks he is writing his memoirs.

He is finding the writing hard though because he threw out all of his original notes.

I'll argue for them that this is a random event as part of our departure from the ice age, a natural recession of the glaciers, or part of a natural warming cycle.

Yep...that is a possibility.

But the climate deniers claim the earth is cooling down and has been since 1998. :confused:

But the climate deniers claim the earth is cooling down and has been since 1998. :confused:

Or they will be until 2010 is done. Then they will find some other reason to deny the physics of GHGs.

So the data contained in the emails that show the data to be fudged and that the scientists were really struggling to show increased temps really isn't there and we are all just hallucinating due to the extreme heat? :lol:

And not a single thing that you claim is true.

However, for people like yourself, the willfully ignorant, the people that put ideological purity above the welfare of their descendents, you will spout any lie that is conveniant to hide an inconveniant truth.

A note from Yale University concerning the Andean Glaciers. And here in North America, Glacier National Park will have no glaciers after 2030. But all is well, Limpbaugh and the legions of willfull ignorance assure us that these glaciers are merely part of our imagination.

Retreat of Andean Glaciers Foretells Global Water Woes by Carolyn Kormann: Yale Environment 360

Retreat of Andean Glaciers
Foretells Global Water Woes
Bolivia accounts for a tiny fraction of global greenhouse gas emissions. But it will soon be paying a disproportionately high price for a major consequence of global warming: the rapid loss of glaciers and a subsequent decline in vital water supplies.
by carolyn kormann

Earlier this year, the World Bank released yet another in a seemingly endless stream of reports by global institutions and universities chronicling the melting of the world’s cryosphere, or ice zone. This latest report concerned the glaciers in the Andes and revealed the following: Bolivia’s famed Chacaltaya glacier has lost 80 percent of its surface area since 1982, and Peruvian glaciers have lost more than one-fifth of their mass in the past 35 years, reducing by 12 percent the water flow to the country’s coastal region, home to 60 percent of Peru’s population.

And if warming trends continue, the study concluded, many of the Andes’ tropical glaciers will disappear within 20 years, not only threatening the water supplies of 77 million people in the region, but also reducing hydropower production, which accounts for roughly half of the electricity generated in Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador.

However, for people like yourself, the willfully ignorant, the people that put ideological purity above the welfare of their descendents, you will spout any lie that is conveniant to hide an inconveniant truth.

That's a hoot! :lol:

You continuously trip all over yourself in your denial. Who is willfully ignorant? With every post you prove how big of an apologist you truly are.

Keep it up though, I come here for the entertainment and you are one of the main attractions! :lol:

Al Gore: There is a 75% chance of the polar ice melting completely in 5-7 years.

Scientist: Shut your lying piehole, Al.

Inconvenient truth for Al Gore as his North Pole sums don't add up - Times Online
There are many kinds of truth. Al Gore was poleaxed by an inconvenient one yesterday.

The former US Vice-President, who became an unlikely figurehead for the green movement after narrating the Oscar-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, became entangled in a new climate change “spin” row.

Mr Gore, speaking at the Copenhagen climate change summit, stated the latest research showed that the Arctic could be completely ice-free in five years.

In his speech, Mr Gore told the conference: “These figures are fresh. Some of the models suggest to Dr [Wieslav] Maslowski that there is a 75 per cent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during the summer months, could be completely ice-free within five to seven years.”
Related Links

However, the climatologist whose work Mr Gore was relying upon dropped the former Vice-President in the water with an icy blast.

“It’s unclear to me how this figure was arrived at,” Dr Maslowski said. “I would never try to estimate likelihood at anything as exact as this.”

Mr Gore’s office later admitted that the 75 per cent figure was one used by Dr Maslowksi as a “ballpark figure” several years ago in a conversation with Mr Gore.

And idiot lemmings like Old Rocks over here can't stop their bleating. :lol:

The glaciers that have long provided water and electricity to this part of Bolivia are melting and disappearing, victims of global warming, most scientists say.

If the water problems are not solved, El Alto, a poor sister city of La Paz, could perhaps be the first large urban casualty of climate change. A World Bank report concluded last year that climate change would eliminate many glaciers in the Andes within 20 years, threatening the existence of nearly 100 million people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/science/earth/14bolivia.html

Now how can this be true if global warming skeptics are telling us that the world has been cooling down since 1998?

:eusa_eh:

I don't know. I'll ask my ex husband, who's in Bolivia now.

ZOMG!!!! A Bolivian Glacier shrunk! That can only mean that American CO2 is hovering over Bolivia, amiright?

I tell you this never happened before Reagan was President! Earth was in balance when Democrats ran everything

I hope I can sleep tonight, I didn't catch a wink last night because I thought the Glacier Eating CO2 Monster was under my bed

yup, could be just another random occurrence. I'm stick in the mud conservative though so I'm not going to do things like work fifteen minutes more a week or whatever it takes to pay for my crazy catalytic converters and other emissions controls instead of being lazy and taking radical chance my cheap polluting car is going to ruin the earth.

So , let me see if I understand this. 12,000 years ago the USA North of the Ohio River was under 60 feet of ice, the Earth warmed, the ice receded.

Are we to believe that from 12,000 YBP until 1820 we never gained or lost an ice cubes worth of glacier? Is that what Warmers believe?

Spawn?

Forum List

Back