In "bear country" I carry the same pocket 9 as anywhere else.

If you are afraid of a bear attack you should be carrying a long gun.
Well, most grizzly country is Federal, and you can't legally carry.

When I used to go up to Glacier, I had an 870 Special Field, and you could conceal it pretty easily if you ran into people.

I'd rather pay a fine than get eaten by a bear.

When I used to go up to Glacier, I had an 870 Special Field, and you could conceal it pretty easily if you ran into people.

do bears eat people? I thought they just kill people and eat big pots of honey and------salmon

do bears eat people? I thought they just kill people and eat big pots of honey and------salmon
Eaten, killed, WTF difference would it make?

And yes, they have been known to eat people, but most attacks are probably because people accidently startle momma bears.

Best thing in bear country is to make a lot of noise, and stink a bit.

Let them know you are there.

Do not smell like a campfire breakfast though.

Magnum formula pepper spray and hook a bell to your belt. Grizzly will usually move off...black bears are the sneaky ones and if they come it at night they won't back down. Play dead for a grizzly, never play dead for a black bear.

Magnum formula pepper spray and hook a bell to your belt. Grizzly will usually move off...black bears are the sneaky ones and if they come it at night they won't back down. Play dead for a grizzly, never play dead for a black bear.

I remember a Forest Service poster. It said black bears are typically not aggressive, eat mostly berries, grubs ect. That grizzlies are omnivores and will kill deer or even elk for a meal. They suggested wearing bells to make noise and carrying pepper spray to repel a bear if it starts to attack. It also said pay attention to the scat to know what type bears are around. Black bear scat will have berry seeds and such in it. Grizzly scat will have small bells in it and smell like pepper spray.

I remember a Forest Service poster. It said black bears are typically not aggressive, eat mostly berries, grubs ect. That grizzlies are omnivores and will kill deer or even elk for a meal. They suggested wearing bells to make noise and carrying pepper spray to repel a bear if it starts to attack. It also said pay attention to the scat to know what type bears are around. Black bear scat will have berry seeds and such in it. Grizzly scat will have small bells in it and smell like pepper spray.

I had a giant buddy up in Spokane who got stuck on a mountain trail with a big black bear with a brown coat. His german shepherd was a hundred meters in front of him and playing with what he thought were other dogs....when he got up to his dog, the shepherd flew by him top-end in the other direction and here came mamma bear. He had two choices...jump over the edge or fight the damn thing. He's 6'5" easy 300lbs. So he figures WTH, raises his arms over his head and runs at the bear yelling......he's still with us. :eusa_angel:

Black bears are also omnivores that sometimes chow down on humans.

If your pockets aren't big enough for at least a 1911
you need bigger pockets.

Just watched a fascinating Nat Geo documentary on Yellowstone. Male grizzlies can grow to 700 lbs, with females topping out at around 400 lbs. So imagine an enraged female, defending her cubs (that you may not have even seen), charging you at 35 mph thru wooded landscape. 9mm? No thanks. My .44 would seem puny.

Just watched a fascinating Nat Geo documentary on Yellowstone. Male grizzlies can grow to 700 lbs, with females topping out at around 400 lbs. So imagine an enraged female, defending her cubs (that you may not have even seen), charging you at 35 mph thru wooded landscape. 9mm? No thanks. My .44 would seem puny.

Even a .12ga slug or two isn't likely to stop a bruin of that size before it's on you....one swipe and your neck is broke. That's why they say pepper spray...get it's eyes and you might have a chance to boogie.

When in bear country, to me that means an area known for grizzly, I want the biggest baddest gun that I can get on target fast under any conditions. I have been within a few yards of black bear and able to stay calm and let them move off - with a gun pointed at them but not in a hurry to fire. I have never seen a grizzly bear in the wild so either I make a lot of noise (likely) or there just wasn't any of them around (very likely). All of my hunting, backpacking and wilderness camping has been in Washington. Mostly on the west side of the cascades and both sides of the Olympics. As soon as I was old enough I carried a rifle and on my 21st birthday I bought a Ruger 357 Security-Six. It and my '06 went everywhere with me. I was never concerned about people and as long as camp was kept clean we never worried about scavengers.

"Also, why waste the time and money becoming adequately skilled with the .44 mag, etc?"

Because a .44 mag. might do the job and a 9mm is likely to just piss a bear off.

"So you still have to brain them in order to get a reliable stop."

Not so. Breaking both shoulders, spine or neck will do the job just as well (if you use enough gun to break them) and are usually easier than a brain shot.

" For regular hunting, I"d rather either use the pocket 9 (deer, hogs, ) or brain the elk, bear or moose with the M4.
"

Exactly how many of those animals have you killed with a 9mm or M4? Your judgement is based on...what?

None. This dipshit is likely some overweight douchebag who can't get off of his sofa. The amount of absolute crap he spews is amazing. I would love to see him take on a bear with his precious "9". He might indeed kill it.... he wouldn't be around to see if he had obtained his pyrrhic victory though.

Forum List

Back