In "bear country" I carry the same pocket 9 as anywhere else.

May 21, 2015
cause the theat of bears is MUCH less than the threat of death from insect bits/stings. I don't bother to do anything about the latter, so why do anything about the former? I'm not going to buy, much less lug around some monstrosity pistol that really has no use at all, and give up the superiority of my 9 vs men and dogs. Also, why waste the time and money becoming adequately skilled with the .44 mag, etc? the reality is that you're more likely to be attacked at night, by a black bear, then you are in daylight by a grizzle, at least, such is the case in the lower 48 states. So, if your pistol is to help you prevale, you have to sleep while wearing it and you'll still end up shoving it up under his chin, into his ear-hole or eye socket, anyway. The pocket 9 can handle such "duty" just fine.

If I thought that I had a real problem with bears, I'd be carrying a rifle. That rifle would be my m4, cause I just aint going to bother owning learning anything else, and the silencer, concealment, luminous sights and .22 unit mean a lot more than some marginal advantage for hunting/stopping big critters. Many bears and Moose have managed to press home attacks, despite chest hits with 12 ga slugs, 3006 sp's, etc. So you still have to brain them in order to get a reliable stop. The 223 will suffice if you brain them and the silencer, luminous sights, and .22 unit practice make it far more likely that i'll GET that brain hit. The "need" to stop attacks by big animal is so rare that I"m just not going to bother owning a 308 auto. For regular hunting, I"d rather either use the pocket 9 (deer, hogs, ) or brain the elk, bear or moose with the M4. It would be a lot more of a feat than chest hitting them with a 3006. Any 13 year old girl can do that.

"Also, why waste the time and money becoming adequately skilled with the .44 mag, etc?"

Because a .44 mag. might do the job and a 9mm is likely to just piss a bear off.

"So you still have to brain them in order to get a reliable stop."

Not so. Breaking both shoulders, spine or neck will do the job just as well (if you use enough gun to break them) and are usually easier than a brain shot.

" For regular hunting, I"d rather either use the pocket 9 (deer, hogs, ) or brain the elk, bear or moose with the M4.
"

Exactly how many of those animals have you killed with a 9mm or M4? Your judgement is based on...what?

"Also, why waste the time and money becoming adequately skilled with the .44 mag, etc?"

Because a .44 mag. might do the job and a 9mm is likely to just piss a bear off.

Not so. Breaking both shoulders, spine or neck will do the job just as well (if you use enough gun to break them) and are usually easier than a brain shot.

" For regular hunting, I"d rather either use the pocket 9 (deer, hogs, ) or brain the elk, bear or moose with the M4.
"

Exactly how many of those animals have you killed with a 9mm or M4? Your judgement is based on...what?
When I camped in Glacier, I carried a shortened three inch mag 12 gauge 870, with a slug in the chamber and buckshot backing it up.

If i'm in bear country i'm going to leave the nine at home and bring a .44 mag.
Since i'm not often in bear country the minor inconvenience of carrying a .44 is hardly a big deal. And if i'm in bear country often i'd be a fool not to carry one.

cause the theat of bears is MUCH less than the threat of death from insect bits/stings. I don't bother to do anything about the latter, so why do anything about the former? I'm not going to buy, much less lug around some monstrosity pistol that really has no use at all, and give up the superiority of my 9 vs men and dogs. Also, why waste the time and money becoming adequately skilled with the .44 mag, etc? the reality is that you're more likely to be attacked at night, by a black bear, then you are in daylight by a grizzle, at least, such is the case in the lower 48 states. So, if your pistol is to help you prevale, you have to sleep while wearing it and you'll still end up shoving it up under his chin, into his ear-hole or eye socket, anyway. The pocket 9 can handle such "duty" just fine.

No real use at all? lol Too funny. The .44 is probably one of the most versatile handguns around. I use mine for hunting, plinking, pest removal and protection against feral dogs.

As for it being a "monstrosity", it isn't that big or that heavy. The Beretta 92 Compact runs about 32 ozs. My Ruger .44 Magnum weighs 45 ozs. I sacrifice more rounds for a much more powerful round and a much extended range. Plus I can use specialty rounds such as shot-shells, lower velocity rounds, and even shoot .44 Special rounds. My Ruger has a 6.5 inch bbl, which is 2 inches longer than the Beretta. So I have a more accurate, more powerful, and more versatile gun with my Ruger, and you have one that weighs 13 ozs less.

"

When I camped in Glacier, I carried a shortened three inch mag 12 gauge 870, with a slug in the chamber and buckshot backing it up.

Good insurance.

If I thought that I had a real problem with bears, I'd be carrying a rifle. That rifle would be my m4, cause I just aint going to bother owning learning anything else, and the silencer, concealment, luminous sights and .22 unit mean a lot more than some marginal advantage for hunting/stopping big critters. Many bears and Moose have managed to press home attacks, despite chest hits with 12 ga slugs, 3006 sp's, etc. So you still have to brain them in order to get a reliable stop. The 223 will suffice if you brain them and the silencer, luminous sights, and .22 unit practice make it far more likely that i'll GET that brain hit. The "need" to stop attacks by big animal is so rare that I"m just not going to bother owning a 308 auto. For regular hunting, I"d rather either use the pocket 9 (deer, hogs, ) or brain the elk, bear or moose with the M4. It would be a lot more of a feat than chest hitting them with a 3006. Any 13 year old girl can do that.

So, a convicted felon, own an M4 with a suppressor? You paid the tax stamp?

No real use at all? lol Too funny. The .44 is probably one of the most versatile handguns around. I use mine for hunting, plinking, pest removal and protection against feral dogs.

As for it being a "monstrosity", it isn't that big or that heavy. The Beretta 92 Compact runs about 32 ozs. My Ruger .44 Magnum weighs 45 ozs. I sacrifice more rounds for a much more powerful round and a much extended range. Plus I can use specialty rounds such as shot-shells, lower velocity rounds, and even shoot .44 Special rounds. My Ruger has a 6.5 inch bbl, which is 2 inches longer than the Beretta. So I have a more accurate, more powerful, and more versatile gun with my Ruger, and you have one that weighs 13 ozs less.

If I had to pick between the two and lived in bear country the .44 would be the obvious choice.
Same for a survival gun.
The only time I would pick the nine would be for a CC gun.

Yes, there ARE 13 year old girls who hunt elk, bear & moose. Maybe they aren't so recoil sensitive as you?
They also probably understand that there is far, far more to hunting wild game than being a good shot. I'm pretty sure they don't try for head shots on that game either, since the moving head is much harder to hit. But at least those 13 year old girls have learned more than the nonsense posted on YouTube.

You, on the other hand, have not.

What animals have you actually successfully hunted?

If I had to pick between the two and lived in bear country the .44 would be the obvious choice.
Same for a survival gun.

Choose the right tool for the job.

Same for a survival gun.

Choose the right tool for the job.

Yep..and the nine is barely adequate as a CC as far as i'm concerned.
To many other calibers out there that do a far better job.

If you are afraid of a bear attack you should be carrying a long gun.

Forum List

Back