In Arizona, 'Los Samaritanos' leave water and food on trails used by immigrants

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
While the debate goes on, Wallin and a group of 140 volunteers who call themselves Los Samaritanos work against brutal heat and an unforgiving desert landscape where 61 migrants died in the seven months that ended April 30. In a region split by the increasingly fortified U.S.-Mexico border, they say they are doing moral deeds in the face of a simple reality: Migrants keep coming.

"Most of the people we find are broken, beaten down, sobbing, so lonesome, broken. They just want to go home," said the Rev. Randy Mayer, pastor of Good Shepherd United Church of Christ in Sahuarita, Ariz., home to Los Samaritanos. "We're just trying to stop people from dying. Somebody will say, 'What don't you understand about "illegal"?' Well, it's more complicated than that."

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials, who have caught 168,000 illegal immigrants since Oct. 1 in this section of southern Arizona near Tucson, disapprove of the effort.

"Anyone who encourages illegal activities adds to our workload," said Robert L. Boatright, deputy head of the 90,000-square-mile Tucson region. He said the maps and supplies give border crossers a "false sense of security."

"That's an incentive," he said, "but they might be on the wrong trail or the water might be gone."

Don Severe, an activist in Green Valley who favors strict penalties for many border crossers, put it another way: "How would you feel if one of these people you helped went on and raped or killed your granddaughter?"

The debate over the border has intensified

washingtonpost.com

i am not sure how i feel about this....esp if i lived in an area where i was continually threatened by the waves of illegals....

so for your consideration:

I have no problem with people trying to prevent other people from dying.

How about if their warm, fuzzy intentions actually ENCOURAGE more people to try to cross, thereby actually INCREASING the number of people dying out in the desert? There's a reason why it's the road to HELL that's paved with good intentions.

Well then, here is an idea that might prevent further deaths.

The US and Mexican government, will supply the food and water, and maybe transportation, with an agreement with Mexico for those who want to leave Mexico and enter the USA, IF, they all agree to enter legally through immigration check point(s). Let's call it the "Ellis Island(s)" of the South West.

No more deaths through starvation and dehydration. All legal entry into the United States. Problem solved, and they are welcomed as documented future citizens. I have no problem with that.

do you realize how the people of this area live? 10 ft fences...armed to the teeth....afraid to leave the women at home....why? cause of criminals crossing the border...

i am not for people dying...but you cant save everyone.

we had a influx of mexicans...the crime rate went up....mostly dwi..and assault....white girls started dating them....i love this scene which is repeated over and over...white girl datese "mexican"....they get married...white girl is telling mexican...."dont be sending money back to mexico" mexican bitch slaps her...and on it goes...

i think most people want the same things in life.....a secure place to live and work and rasie their families...just as the oil is destroying the lives of those on the gulf coast..this is destroying the lives of those in border states and towns....how long would you tolerate a daily threat to your family?

I seriously doubt anybody risks their life crossing the border thinking that they can take that risk because they're depending on 'Los Samaritanos' to save them.

I wouldn't do it, but I can understand why some people think they must.

What I find abhorrent is that some people would like to make it a crime to help a fellow human being.

What I find abhorrent is that some people would like to make it a crime to help a fellow human being.

well i had come back to say....why not help someone else....blah blah blah...

you comment sure shut me down....you are correct.....it should never be a crime to help another human being...

but then ravi it is a crime many times to help another human being...esp if they are engaged in illegal activity

Forum List

Back