In Africa, Assassination Plot Thwarted

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
YAHOO!

Mauritania Foils Assassination Campaign

Mon Aug 9, 3:26 PM ET Add World - AP to My Yahoo!

By AHMED MOHAMED, Associated Press Writer

NOUAKCHOTT, Mauritania - Mauritania's pro-U.S. government broke up a plot by military officers and radical Islamists to seize power in this heavily Arab West African nation through a bombing and assassination campaign, officials with the military and the ruling party claimed Monday.

There was no immediate confirmation or denial from the Sahara nation's government, and it was impossible to verify the claims independently.

Ruling party officials blamed military officers, civilians and radical Islamists in the alleged plot against President Maaoya Sid'Ahmed Ould Taya's government, which has allied itself with Washington in the war on terror.

Authorities arrested at least two military officers for planning a violent campaign that had the ultimate aim of wresting power from Taya, four officials of Taya's party said. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, claimed top figures were targeted for assassination, including Taya.

Suspected extremists have been getting arrested there for several years. It's funny, (well not funny haha, but ironic in a way) but 50 or so were released before the last election in 2003, probably not a good idea.

I've said it before, and I'll say again, Africa is much more volitile with regard to extremists than the middle east. Stability in most of the regions experiencing "problems" with Isamic radicals is crucial, but no one seems to be paying attention.

New Topics

Forum List

Back