Impressions of the movie; Wonder Woman

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
`

A few weeks ago, me, my daughters and a few of their friends went to see Wonder Woman, before school started. While the movie had already been out at least a month, the theater was rather packed. I like science fiction/fantasy movies and having seen WW in "Batman vs Superman", my curiosity was piqued.

I enjoyed it, despite two minor details. Jenkins did an excellent job directing a female action flick and I love Gal Gadot, and her WW costume. The younger crowd there, mainly females, went nuts at times. The only minor flaws as I saw them;

a) An American Indian in the movie (The Chief) seemed anachronistic and out of place in a WWI setting and 2) WW's romantic interlude with Steve Trevor is not consistent with the WW comic mythos and an unnecessary part of the subplot, but neither affected my enjoyment. I will definitely see another Wonder Woman movie with both Jenkins and Gadot.

What do you think?

I don't mind chick flicks about Queen Elizabeth 1st etc.

But I would never go fantasies like WW or Supergirl even if my GF promised to sit on my face afterwards. That would be the girlie equivalent of a Klan meeting.

I agree with your take on Steve.

No Indians in the First World War?

Were you thinking they killed them all off before the turn of the century?
They not only allowed Indians to fight in WWI, they had a group of Indians to send undecipherable messages in WWII.

I was upset they set it in WWI, since her origins, per the comics, were in WWII

I agree with your take on Steve.
No Indians in the First World War?
Were you thinking they killed them all off before the turn of the century?
They not only allowed Indians to fight in WWI, they had a group of Indians to send undecipherable messages in WWII. I was upset they set it in WWI, since her origins, per the comics, were in WWII

`

Nooooo. I was referring to the concept of an American Indian entrepreneur operating as a smuggler during WWI. I also agree, in the comic mythos, WW came out in the 40's, during WWII. I never thought of that. Well, I liked the movie anyways.

Last edited:
I'll have a better idea in 2 weeks when the DVD comes out.

`
`

A few weeks ago, me, my daughters and a few of their friends went to see Wonder Woman, before school started. While the movie had already been out at least a month, the theater was rather packed. I like science fiction/fantasy movies and having seen WW in "Batman vs Superman", my curiosity was piqued.

I enjoyed it, despite two minor details. Jenkins did an excellent job directing a female action flick and I love Gal Gadot, and her WW costume. The younger crowd there, mainly females, went nuts at times. The only minor flaws as I saw them;

a) An American Indian in the movie (The Chief) seemed anachronistic and out of place in a WWI setting and 2) WW's romantic interlude with Steve Trevor is not consistent with the WW comic mythos and an unnecessary part of the subplot, but neither affected my enjoyment. I will definitely see another Wonder Woman movie with both Jenkins and Gadot.

What do you think?
Finger-Wiccan Good

The trailer looked like a pushy femininny fantasy.

`
`

What do you think?

Same as you, good movie and same issues pretty much. Did she get shot through the gut in that one fight scene? The sequel WW 2 comes out in a couple years or so (Dec 2019 I think) but I don't know if Jenkins is signed on to direct it yet. She did good in this movie tho.

Same as you, good movie and same issues pretty much. Did she get shot through the gut in that one fight scene? The sequel WW 2 comes out in a couple years or so (Dec 2019 I think) but I don't know if Jenkins is signed on to direct it yet. She did good in this movie tho.
`
It did appear she was shot in the gut but the movie glossed over it without explanation. Good find. I found that disconcerting for a moment but forgot to mention that. A continuity flaw for sure but I watch such movies for "escapism", not reality. So it really didn't stick with me.

I thought Wonder Woman was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I think it has been over-hyped.

The secondary characters are paper-thin. There is really no character development outside of WW and Trevor.

Diana's motivations are fairly vague. She was taught some tales about Ares as a child, and despite being told the stories were just stories, she believes (based on the description of the first man she's ever met, and who she knows for a very short time) that the war must be caused by the god of war, and that if she kills him, all of the soldiers will just lay down their arms and hug it out. I understand having her be naive, considering her isolated upbringing, but it goes much too far.

Ares is a weak villain. The German general is also pretty weak. Dr. Poison had potential, but it was wasted in the end.

It's hard to determine if WW is supposed to be bullet-proof. She's seen deflecting bullets a lot, but she is shot at so often, one would think a bullet would have gotten through. :dunno:

I didn't like some of the CGI fighting. Not the worst stuff ever, I just wasn't impressed with a few of the scenes.

The movie was enjoyable, but there have been quite a few better comic book movies in recent years. The success of WW will hopefully help the DCU. It would be good to have 2 comic book movie universes with good movies.

Best comicbook movie ever.:thup:Thats saying a lot since prior to this movie Thor which is a really special movie to me,was my favorite.

`
It did appear she was shot in the gut but the movie glossed over it without explanation. Good find. I found that disconcerting for a moment but forgot to mention that. A continuity flaw for sure but I watch such movies for "escapism", not reality. So it really didn't stick with me.

Same with me, as long as they don't make it too unreal. The sequel is supposed to be out in December 2019, with Gal Gadot reprising her role as WW and Jenkins has in fact been signed to direct it, which I think is good. I think Gadot is also in a movie coming out later this year called Justice League or something like that, as WW.

I thought Wonder Woman was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I think it has been over-hyped.The secondary characters are paper-thin. There is really no character development outside of WW and Trevor.Diana's motivations are fairly vague. She was taught some tales about Ares as a child, and despite being told the stories were just stories, she believes (based on the description of the first man she's ever met, and who she knows for a very short time) that the war must be caused by the god of war, and that if she kills him, all of the soldiers will just lay down their arms and hug it out. I understand having her be naive, considering her isolated upbringing, but it goes much too far.Ares is a weak villain. The German general is also pretty weak. Dr. Poison had potential, but it was wasted in the end.It's hard to determine if WW is supposed to be bullet-proof. She's seen deflecting bullets a lot, but she is shot at so often, one would think a bullet would have gotten through. :dunno:I didn't like some of the CGI fighting. Not the worst stuff ever, I just wasn't impressed with a few of the scenes.The movie was enjoyable, but there have been quite a few better comic book movies in recent years. The success of WW will hopefully help the DCU. It would be good to have 2 comic book movie universes with good movies.
`
`

Your criticisms are well founded. No problem with that. However, what Wonder Woman does is cross over to mythology genre, similar to what Thor does, which is all fantasy. Mythology is steeped in the "magic" of the gods. WW obviously has supernatural powers. In such a literary environment, anything is possible. Hercules may even make an appearance down the road. It's a magical world. So long as I find such movies entertaining, I'll support the kid in me..

I thought Wonder Woman was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I think it has been over-hyped.The secondary characters are paper-thin. There is really no character development outside of WW and Trevor.Diana's motivations are fairly vague. She was taught some tales about Ares as a child, and despite being told the stories were just stories, she believes (based on the description of the first man she's ever met, and who she knows for a very short time) that the war must be caused by the god of war, and that if she kills him, all of the soldiers will just lay down their arms and hug it out. I understand having her be naive, considering her isolated upbringing, but it goes much too far.Ares is a weak villain. The German general is also pretty weak. Dr. Poison had potential, but it was wasted in the end.It's hard to determine if WW is supposed to be bullet-proof. She's seen deflecting bullets a lot, but she is shot at so often, one would think a bullet would have gotten through. :dunno:I didn't like some of the CGI fighting. Not the worst stuff ever, I just wasn't impressed with a few of the scenes.The movie was enjoyable, but there have been quite a few better comic book movies in recent years. The success of WW will hopefully help the DCU. It would be good to have 2 comic book movie universes with good movies.
`
`

Your criticisms are well founded. No problem with that. However, what Wonder Woman does is cross over to mythology genre, similar to what Thor does, which is all fantasy. Mythology is steeped in the "magic" of the gods. WW obviously has supernatural powers. In such a literary environment, anything is possible. Hercules may even make an appearance down the road. It's a magical world. So long as I find such movies entertaining, I'll support the kid in me..

I actually enjoy the mythology aspects. As I said, I don't think Wonder Woman was a bad movie, I just look at some of the glowing reviews and talk of it "saving" the DC movie universe, and I wonder if those are honest opinions on the movie, or based more on finally having a good female-lead comic book movie, with a female director. WW being successful is a feel good story, and I think many people kind of ran with that, ignoring the negatives of the movie.

I don't regret having seen WW, and I will watch the sequel whenever it comes out (although I don't know that I'll go to the theater for it). I just hope the sequel is a bit better written. :)

Forum List

Back