Imports from Pakistan to Afghanistan drop by 80pc

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
MAZAR-i-SHARIF - As its trade with Central Asia states has been on the rise, Afghanistan’s imports from Pakistan have declined by 80 percent, say traders in northern Balkh province.

Due to commerce and transit issues between Afghanistan and Pakistan , businessmen in the province say imports through the Torkham port have precipitously fallen.

Meanwhile, officials of the customs department say their revenue in 2017 had increased by 16 percent over the last year, thanks to increased imports via Hairatan port from Central Asia. Customs Director Abdur Rahman Rasikh told Afghan media that most of Afghanistan’s customs revenue came from taxes on imported business goods.

He called Hairatan port one of the most essential trade hubs.

According to him, imports through the port were more than exports. He said during the current year, the Balkh port collected revenue of 12 billion Afghanis, recording a 16 percent increase over the last year.

Rasikh called increased imports through the Hairatan port a key factor behind enhanced revenue levels. He added the import of steel, grains, timber, flour and fuel had recently increased.
...The important aspects of the port include the railroad extension from China and the $400 million investment in the petroleum and gas sectors.
Imports from Pakistan to Afghanistan drop by 80pc

One of these ports also has a lot of fraud. I can't find the article this morning but if I do then I'll add it here. If one of ya'll come across it please post it.

Forum List

Back