Important Info About Your Privacy:

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
There's a site called Spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, etc. Remove by first searching for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page, then go to the "Privacy" button on the very bottom right side of their page to remove yourself.

I just checked this out and it's true, it had my info with my Maiden Name and Married Name, address, etc. Follow the above directions if you want them to remove your info, I just did.

Urban Legends: Is Spokeo.com Invading Your Privacy?

The thing is, if Spokeo can find it, the info is publicly available and can be found online by anyone, with or without the convenience of a Spokeo.com.

The website does provide a "Privacy" form whereby you can delete your individual listing (note: some users report this is easier said than done), but don't miss the critical point: simply removing your search results from Spokeo.com doesn't prevent anyone from accessing the data by other means.

To protect your personal data on social networking services, you must either refrain from providing it to sites like MySpace and Facebook in the first place, or adjust your privacy settings on each website accordingly. Also, if your phone number and address are listed in the White Pages, that information is publicly accessible online, as are some government records (accessibility varies by state) and real estate listings.

basically, if it is on spack.com, it is already too late.

if you like privacy, keep your data off the fucking internet.

I just looked.. It doesn't have anything that's not common knowledge already.

Well, I removed both my names from them,like they said it's "Internet Wack-a-Mole" but meh.

If someone wants to find you, they'll find you, eh? :dunno:

Plus, the email addy I gave them was one of my 'fake ones' I use, not my 'real' one.

I got an email on this and I am just wondering if by "removing" them you just verify you exist?

You have to give them an email addy - that tells you what you need to know.

Well, I removed both my names from them,like they said it's "Internet Wack-a-Mole" but meh.

If someone wants to find you, they'll find you, eh? :dunno:

It is there and is commonly used in divorce cases and bill collectors, crime investigators, etc.

You are one of the few on the net that have any personal info on me :)

Of course any transaction can be backtracked to it's source if one has enough access and is determined.

I just looked.. It doesn't have anything that's not common knowledge already.

so, boob size is listed?

Now that is a little too common. However it is attainable thru purchase records using bar codes on the product and credit/debit card purchases.

Your super saver cards at the grocery and other stores also track your purchases.

Your entire life is out there for the world to see.

Even those packages you order in brown paper wrappers :D

Perhaps everyone should just change their name to the same thing to confuse everyone?

All Women are Mary and all men are Joseph?

Except in the south women would be Maryjo?

New Topics

Forum List

Back