Import Tariffs are incompatable with Libertarianism

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Notwithstanding the fact that if you asked ten different self-proclaimed libertarians what libertarians stand for, you'd get ten different answers, textbook Libertarianism strongly opposes all import tariffs.

Look it up.

And then have fun trying to reconcile this fact with your own, poorly manufactured idea of what it means to be a libertarian.

Libertarianism not being black and white to all people is a bad thing?

Are conservatism and liberalism the same to everyone?

Yes, tariffs are bad for capitalism, this is basic economics.

• Banned

Not at all.

But being intellectually inconsistent with one's own set of ideals is called hypocrisy (or I guess in this case, ignorance), and that's never a good thing IMO.

Not at all.

But being intellectually inconsistent with one's own set of ideals is called hypocrisy (or I guess in this case, ignorance), and that's never a good thing IMO.

Low taxes, low spending, low or no debt is an ideal shared by all libertarians. That's why they're not democrats or republicans, they don't offer those ideals.

There's different ways of showing those ideals.

Not at all.

It gets worse when you discuss immigration.

But narco-libertarians are hopelessly muddled.

True conservative principles call for free movement of capital and labor. As another poster pointed out, real American workers do not fear competition but welcome it as a spur to higher achievement.

In my experience, many who happily promote free trade (count me among them) and free movement of capital and resources suddenly raise strong objection when that principle is expanded to labor. the free market, it seems, is often not extended to labor.

In my experience, many who happily promote free trade (count me among them) and free movement of capital and resources suddenly raise strong objection when that principle is expanded to labor. the free market, it seems, is often not extended to labor.

Correct, free market should be expanded to labor.

Loose immigration standards, low government regulation, all good for free market capitalism.

I have no problem with free trade INSIDE the United States. However, as a nationalist and an isolationist I have major issues with free trade coming into and going out from the United States. Regardless of whether its capital, resources, labor, etc...

I have no problem with free trade INSIDE the United States. However, as a nationalist and an isolationist I have major issues with free trade coming into and going out from the United States. Regardless of whether its capital, resources, labor, etc...

Translation: Freedom for me but not for thee.

As though one can encapsulate an entire worldwide POV in one word.

I do not know why people keep thinking one can do it.

Doesn't matter whether they're self-proclaiming conservatives or liberals or Libertarians, such method of reductive thinking is bound to prevent people from thinking too deeply about subjects which really demand that we think past labels and start discussing issues in detail.

Last edited:
As though one can encapsulate an entire worldwide POV in one word.

I do not know why people keep thinking one can do it.

Doesn't matter whether they're self-pfoclaiming conservatives or liberals or Liabertarians, such method of thinking is bound to cause people to stop thinking.

Right, we should never try to define anything because consistency in understanding offers no value to communication. :doubt:

Sometimes things stand, quite simply, in fundamental opposition. A person claiming to be libertarian while advocating tariffs is one such example. Might as well call yourself a libertarian and advocate a $20/hr minimum wage while you're at it. :thup:

Why stop there? How about we draw the line at state instead? Free trade within each state, but tariffs for anything between states? Would that make us better off?

Would we be better off if each town imposed a tariff on trade?

Each neighborhood?

Why stop there? How about we draw the line at state instead? Free trade within each state, but tariffs for anything between states? Would that make us better off?

Would we be better off if each town imposed a tariff on trade?

Each neighborhood?

In some way we already do that, without the necessity of legislation. How many people (including myself) do we all know who prefer to "buy local" or to go to local shops rather than chain branded outlets? The problem is that while we do it well on the local levels we don't do it very well on the larger levels, especially the national/international level. We'd rather pay $5 less for that Chinese product than the one from the other side of our own country. That's a problem in my mind.

Where on earth did you guys get the idea that libertarians are for tariffs or any other form of protectionism? They are for a minimalist gov't with the least amount of gov't intervention, and that includes free trade.

I see I need to start a thread on protectionism, followed by one on free trade. Not sure if many around here fully realize the negatives of the former and the positives of the latter.

From libertarianism.com:

Overview
Borders should not limit the ability of free peoples. Whether it is migration or trade, government do not have a legitimate right to regulate or tax peaceful interactions. These interactions are the cornerstones of free markets. As in every other case, the government should stay out of the natural processes of the market.

Both domestic and international free markets are dynamic ones that increase benefits while reducing costs. Foreign countries in need of aid will benefit much more from private charity and free-market economics than they would from government aid.

Where on earth did you guys get the idea that libertarians are for tariffs or any other form of protectionism? They are for a minimalist gov't with the least amount of gov't intervention, and that includes free trade.

I see I need to start a thread on protectionism, followed by one on free trade. Not sure if many around here fully realize the negatives of the former and the positives of the latter.

I saw a self-proclaimed libertarian noob (Mr. Nick), blathering on about how we need to "tariff the shit" out of Chinese imports.

Just trying to set him and others of like mind straight on the subject. But I think he put me on ignore for calling him a naughty word so I guess his ignorance shall remain unabated.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Forum List

Back