These benefits far exceed the economic detriment of USA’s increased import prices.

You still can't prove it.

Crude oil is not germane to a discussion of Import Certificate policy.

Crude oil imports are a large part of our trade deficit.
$126 billion last year. How can such a line item not be germane?

ToddsterPatriot, it’s a fact due to the definition of GDP and the conventionally accepted formula that describes the extent of a nation’s annual GDP, that trade deficits are detrimental to their nation’s annual GDP regardless of whatever was the amount of the nation’s GDP during any given year.
Refer to this thread’s 11:54 AM, December 210, 2016 post.

You’re contending that a nation’s lesser GDP than otherwise isn’t reflected by their lesser numbers of jobs than otherwise?

To critique Import Certificates or anything else, it’s advisable to be knowledgeable of your subject
Crude oil is not germane to a discussion of Import Certificate policy because the Import Certificate proposal is explicitly not applicable to crude oil.

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot, it’s a fact due to the definition of GDP and the conventionally accepted formula that describes the extent of a nation’s annual GDP, that trade deficits are detrimental to their nation’s annual GDP regardless of whatever was the amount of the nation’s GDP during any given year.

I know the damn formula for GDP.

You’re contending that a nation’s lesser GDP than otherwise isn’t reflected by their lesser numbers of jobs than otherwise?

You're contending that eliminating oil imports, which would reduce our trade deficit, would be good for jobs and GDP?

the Import Certificate proposal is explicitly not applicable to crude oil.

Crude is exempt?

To critique Import Certificates or anything else, it’s advisable to be knowledgeable of your subject
Crude oil is not germane to a discussion of Import Certificate policy because the Import Certificate proposal is explicitly not applicable to crude oil.

Respectfully, Supposn

Crude is exempt?

ToddsterPatriot, you didn’t read. Or you didn’t fully consider what you read, or didn’t understand Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article?

For good reason, among other scarce or precious materials integral to goods being assessed, assessed value of a global shipment would be reduced by the approximate value of crude oil integral to the goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Crude is exempt?

ToddsterPatriot, you didn’t read. Or you didn’t fully consider what you read, or didn’t understand Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article?

For good reason, among other scarce or precious materials integral to goods being assessed, assessed value of a global shipment would be reduced by the approximate value of crude oil integral to the goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot, you didn’t read.

There are plenty of stupid ideas that I don't bother to deeply research.

assessed value of a global shipment would be reduced by the approximate value of crude oil integral to the goods.

Sounds like the certificates exempt oil. Don't they know that trade deficits are detrimental to their nation’s annual GDP?

Sounds like the certificates exempt oil. Don't they know that trade deficits are detrimental to their nation’s annual GDP?

ToddsterPatrio, it’s obvious that you assume you’re knowledgeable of the topics you discuss and do not perceive need to read of them or consider them further; it explains the gaps of your knowledge regarding the effects and reflections of USA’s annual GDPs and job numbers upon each other and not being aware that USA’s annual trade deficits of goods “drag” upon our GDPs and particularly upon our numbers of jobs and thus additionally dragging upon our median wage.

Your posts reveal, (if you read Wikipedia’s “Import Certificate” article), you didn’t consider or comprehend what you read. The referred article explained the logic for reducing goods assessed values by the values of specifically listed scarce or precious minerals integral to the goods.

I understand your decision to use your time to your best advantage but since you choose to remain ignorant regarding this topic, why are you wasting both yours and my time.

Supposn

ToddsterPatrio, it’s obvious that you assume you’re knowledgeable of the topics you discuss and do not perceive need to read of them or consider them further; it explains the gaps of your knowledge regarding the effects and reflections of USA’s annual GDPs and job numbers upon each other and not being aware that USA’s annual trade deficits of goods “drag” upon our GDPs and particularly upon our numbers of jobs and thus additionally dragging upon our median wage.

Your posts reveal, (if you read Wikipedia’s “Import Certificate” article), you didn’t consider or comprehend what you read. The referred article explained the logic for reducing goods assessed values by the values of specifically listed scarce or precious minerals integral to the goods.

I understand your decision to use your time to your best advantage but since you choose to remain ignorant regarding this topic, why are you wasting both yours and my time.

Supposn

It's a silly idea. It would harm our economy to fix a "problem" that's not a problem.
If you think we need to have perfectly balanced trade, apparently this won't do that, because listed minerals, including oil, are exempt.

Many who are aware of the ”Balanced Trade Restoration Act of 2006” text find it has faults that could have been easily corrected:

They regret that assessments would not be adjusted to exclude the value of specifically listed scarce or precious minerals integral to the goods being assessed. We should discourage the export of cast gold paper weights encrusted with gems in order to facilitate importing high-tech or labor intensive goods. This fault could severely undermine the bill’s economic benefit to our nation.
Exporting gold paper weights would reduce our trade deficit. That would reduce the “drag” upon our GDPs and particularly upon our numbers of jobs and thus additionally dragging upon our median wage.

I guess some "drags" are worse than others, eh?
I guess some "drags" aren't reduced just because the trade deficit is reduced, eh?

If you want to reduce the trade imbalance, make it easier to manufacture (and drill) here by reducing our heavy burden of regulations, reforming our legal system and reducing our highest in the world corporate tax rate.

Warren Buffet loves this stupid idea so some people will continue to push it.
Good luck, it'll never go anywhere, thank goodness.

Feel free to continue wasting your time by constantly bring it up here.
I'll continue to point out the flaws and the lack of proof it will help our economy.

Import certificates create tons of problems in order to fix an otherwise non-problem.

It's a silly idea. It would harm our economy to fix a "problem" that's not a problem.
If you think we need to have perfectly balanced trade, apparently this won't do that, because listed minerals, including oil, are exempt ... .

Exporting gold paper weights would reduce our trade deficit. That would reduce the “drag” upon our GDPs and particularly upon our numbers of jobs and thus additionally dragging upon our median wage.

I guess some "drags" aren't reduced just because the trade deficit is reduced, eh?

If you want to reduce the trade imbalance, make it easier to manufacture (and drill) here by reducing our heavy burden of regulations, reforming our legal system and reducing our highest in the world corporate tax rate.

I'll continue to point out the flaws and the lack of proof it will help our economy.

ToddsterPatrio, certainly some factors dragging upon our nation’s GDP are more undesirable than others and similarly some factors that can boost our GDP are more desirable than others.
I wouldn’t want my nation to better induce the importation all types of goods made from all types of more utilitarian materials by exporting solid gold paperweights of equal monetary value, but I would want my nation better encourage boosting of my nation’s domestic production and its exports of goods.

I am not at all concerned about trade being “balanced” but USA’s annual trade deficits are detrimental to our economy and USA’s laws and practices can be changed so that we can improve our GDP more than otherwise while eliminating or almost eliminating our chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

I’m an old man and I do not know if I will live to see the Import Certificate policy enacted by ay nation, but I do not believe that any truth or valid concept can be forever remain denied.

Respectfully, Supposn

If you think we need to have perfectly balanced trade, apparently this won't do that, because listed minerals, including oil, are exempt ... .

ToddsterPatrio, certainly some factors dragging upon our nation’s GDP are more undesirable than others and similarly some factors that can boost our GDP are more desirable than others.
I wouldn’t want my nation to better induce the importation all types of goods made from all types of more utilitarian materials by exporting solid gold paperweights of equal monetary value, but I would want my nation better encourage boosting of my nation’s domestic production and its exports of goods.

I am not at all concerned about trade being “balanced” but USA’s annual trade deficits are detrimental to our economy and USA’s laws and practices can be changed so that we can improve our GDP more than otherwise while eliminating or almost eliminating our chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

I’m an old man and I do not know if I will live to see the Import Certificate policy enacted by ay nation, but I do not believe that any truth or valid concept can be forever remain denied.

Respectfully, Supposn

I am not at all concerned about trade being “balanced” but USA’s annual trade deficits are detrimental to our economy

As your own link acknowledges, the trade deficit could be reduced, by exporting gem encrusted, gold paperweights, without economically benefitting our nation.

but I would want my nation better encourage boosting of my nation’s domestic production and its exports of goods.

Then my suggestions, "make it easier to manufacture (and drill) here by reducing our heavy burden of regulations, reforming our legal system and reducing our highest in the world corporate tax rate"
would be better and less complex than Buffett's silly idea.
His idea increases the cost of many of the things we consume and reduces the money we have available to spend on other items, my idea would decrease the cost of the items we produce.

I am not at all concerned about trade being “balanced” but USA’s annual trade deficits are detrimental to our economy

As your own link acknowledges, the trade deficit could be reduced, by exporting gem encrusted, gold paperweights, without economically benefitting our nation.

but I would want my nation better encourage boosting of my nation’s domestic production and its exports of goods.

Then my suggestions, "make it easier to manufacture (and drill) here by reducing our heavy burden of regulations, reforming our legal system and reducing our highest in the world corporate tax rate"
His idea increases the cost of many of the things we consume and reduces the money we have available to spend on other items, my idea would decrease the cost of the items we produce.

ToddsterPatrio, the regulations you write of were directly or indirectly drafted by our elected officials. Their purposes were not to annoy you. Government official drafted or caused to be drafted what they believed were remedies for what they conceived to be potential problems that can be logically anticipated and/or have occurred in the past.

You oppose many of those regulations. You want some regulations modified in a manner of your choosing and some others eliminated. Persons perceptions of potential problems, existing problems, the manners for problem remedies, or the preferences to eliminate some exiting regulations all differ among us.
You lobby for your agendas and I’ll lobby for mine.

Regarding federal law or regulation changes, the preponderance of drafted proposals for modification of our federal regulations and laws affecting our economy were not drafted to eliminate or almost eliminate our annual trade deficits of goods.
Enacting such changes would not decrease the advantages to be gained by enacting the Import Certificate policy.

If any proposed changes could so reduce our trade deficits, would it increase USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs in as superior manner as would the Import Certificate policy?

The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend. The fact is eliminating the trade deficit in this manner increases USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, it increases the money we’ll have and could spend, also a greater portion of our spending will be for USA produced rather than foreign imported goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatrio, the regulations you write of were directly or indirectly drafted by our elected officials. Their purposes were not to annoy you. Government official drafted or caused to be drafted what they believed were remedies for what they conceived to be potential problems that can be logically anticipated and/or have occurred in the past.

You oppose many of those regulations. You want some regulations modified in a manner of your choosing and some others eliminated. Persons perceptions of potential problems, existing problems, the manners for problem remedies, or the preferences to eliminate some exiting regulations all differ among us.
You lobby for your agendas and I’ll lobby for mine.

Regarding federal law or regulation changes, the preponderance of drafted proposals for modification of our federal regulations and laws affecting our economy were not drafted to eliminate or almost eliminate our annual trade deficits of goods.
Enacting such changes would not decrease the advantages to be gained by enacting the Import Certificate policy.

If any proposed changes could so reduce our trade deficits, would it increase USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs in as superior manner as would the Import Certificate policy?

The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend. The fact is eliminating the trade deficit in this manner increases USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, it increases the money we’ll have and could spend, also a greater portion of our spending will be for USA produced rather than foreign imported goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend.

Increasing the price of the imported goods we buy will reduce the money available to spend on domestic goods.

...The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend. The fact is eliminating the trade deficit in this manner increases USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, it increases the money we’ll have and could spend, also a greater portion of our spending will be for USA produced rather than foreign imported goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend.

Increasing the price of the imported goods we buy will reduce the money available to spend on domestic goods.

...The Import Certificate proposal does not reduce the money we have available to spend. The fact is eliminating the trade deficit in this manner increases USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise, it increases the money we’ll have and could spend, also a greater portion of our spending will be for USA produced rather than foreign imported goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot,I Thank you; imitation is among the most respectful and sincere forms of flattery.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot,I Thank you; imitation is among the most respectful and sincere forms of flattery.

Respectfully, Supposn

You're welcome.
I'm always glad to point out your error.

Forum List

Back