CDZ Implicit Bias

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Do you understand what implicit bias is? Not everyone does, even some people who are, presumably at least, reasonably bright and/or well educated.

Why do I ask this question about implicit bias (IB)? Well, because it seems to me many people aren't capable of distinguishing it from its "uglier siblings." That's not to give IB a pass or diminish the hurt it can and does cause. It's not to give a pass to folks who make no earnest and mostly successful effort to overcome their IB. It's not to give a pass to people who mislabel other behaviors and mindsets as something other than IB.

Thread discussion questions:
  • So the question here, is do you have IB?
  • Do you "catch yourself" when you exhibit it?
  • Do you not mistaken refer to IB for something else and/or vice versa?

Last edited:
Everyone has implicit bias as we have every right to have.

It is called 'being human'.

Gee, I'm not sure.

Maybe some examples?...like referring to one's grandmother as a 'typical white person', or complimenting a presidential candidate because he's 'articulate, bright and clean', or describing an entire population as 'bitterly clinging to their guns and religion' no matter how understandable that might be, or maybe, declaring millions of Americans belong in a basket of deplorables because they aren't smart' enough to appreciate your greatness?...are those examples of implicit bias? If so, for me, nah not so much.

Not that I'm not implicitly biased about some things - I don't like to step on snakes, implicitly try to avoid that. You might say I have a prejudice against snakes, though I mostly leave them alone and let them be snakes...implicitly.

Another thing I might be implicitly biased against - political ideologies who encourage cheaters, liars and layabouts to avail themselves of funding meant to help the helpless. Am really implicitly biased against that. Oh yeah, and when in a dark parking lot at night, I keep a wary eye out for others who might be implicitly biased against little old ladies.

Implicit bias is just another way to say - you are inherently a 'bigot, racist, homophobe, misogynist' - you just don't know it yet. It has universal appeal for those who themselves have more than their fair share of implicit bias...when it comes to clean debate ya lost me at - 'Trump minion...

Everyone has implicit bias as we have every right to have. It is called 'being human'.
Yep. To me, it's not the implicit bias that's the problem. That's just a part of us. It's our behaviors and how blind we become to opposing views that's the issue.

You can reason with someone who has an implicit bias. When someone is both narcissistic and (worse) incurious, you're going to have a communication problem.

There are serious problems with the whole concept of IB. The supposed test is pretty much a joke. I've read that upwards of 40% of those that take the test twice get entirely different results. Hardly scientific in nature. In addition at least one study showed huge differentials in college students who took the test a second time during finals week, leading many to believe the results could be as much a factor of pressure or mood as anything else.

I also read that the original designers of the test stated that while the test was interesting, it proved nothing.

This concept is usually associated with race. Some psychologists dismiss it as possibly being associated with early childhood
development and associating images with the mother's face.

I did watch a couple of psychologists literally laughing at claims of a class that claimed to alleviate IB. They said it had more to due with people getting extra practice taking the test. As one said, most people that play video games are better at it the tenth time they play as opposed to the first or second.

I like what Ben Shapiro said on the subject, the problem is that supposedly you don't even realize your having these thoughts which smacks of ghost hunting. He went on to say that it quite frankly doesn't mean anything. i don't care about thoughts people are having that they don't even know they're having, if it results in negative actions then we have a problem.

I've read that upwards of 40% of those that take the test twice get entirely different results.
I haven't taken many tests multiple times, but the few that I have, I too got different results, without exception that's happened because I learned something between the first and second taking of the test. LOL I believe that's the way it's supposed to work when one repeats the same damn test.

There are serious problems with the whole concept of IB. The supposed test is pretty much a joke. I've read that upwards of 40% of those that take the test twice get entirely different results. Hardly scientific in nature. In addition at least one study showed huge differentials in college students who took the test a second time during finals week, leading many to believe the results could be as much a factor of pressure or mood as anything else.

I also read that the original designers of the test stated that while the test was interesting, it proved nothing.

This concept is usually associated with race. Some psychologists dismiss it as possibly being associated with early childhood

I did watch a couple of psychologists literally laughing at claims of a class that claimed to alleviate IB. They said it had more to due with people getting extra practice taking the test. As one said, most people that play video games are better at it the tenth time they play as opposed to the first or second.

I like what Ben Shapiro said on the subject, the problem is that supposedly you don't even realize your having these thoughts which smacks of ghost hunting. He went on to say that it quite frankly doesn't mean anything. i don't care about thoughts people are having that they don't even know they're having, if it results in negative actions then we have a problem.

I've read that

I also read

Hopefully this isn't asking too much, but seeing as you're referencing something you read, would you mind sharing with us what it is you read? A link to the document(s) you read would be most helpful.

I've read that upwards of 40% of those that take the test twice get entirely different results.
I haven't taken many tests multiple times, but the few that I have, I too got different results, without exception that's happened because I learned something between the first and second taking of the test. LOL I believe that's the way it's supposed to work when one repeats the same damn test.
It really depends on the t est. Some things like memory tests have high repeatability.

It really depends on the t est. Some things like memory tests have high repeatability.

It does depend on the test...more notably the test makers. Who sadly these days usually make these with their own implicit bias, and try to prove their own implicit bias (wether consciously or unconsciously). Sadly those who don't care for intellectual curiosity claim to be experts, and when confronted with someone who is intellectually curios, they resort to ad hominem attacks and claim that they have a deep bias. It's an ego thing and since we wrap our identities around our politics, we have to protect our egos and drown out anything opposed to us.

Gee, I'm not sure.

Maybe some examples?...like referring to one's grandmother as a 'typical white person', or complimenting a presidential candidate because he's 'articulate, bright and clean', or describing an entire population as 'bitterly clinging to their guns and religion' no matter how understandable that might be, or maybe, declaring millions of Americans belong in a basket of deplorables because they aren't smart' enough to appreciate your greatness?...are those examples of implicit bias? If so, for me, nah not so much.

Not that I'm not implicitly biased about some things - I don't like to step on snakes, implicitly try to avoid that. You might say I have a prejudice against snakes, though I mostly leave them alone and let them be snakes...implicitly.

Another thing I might be implicitly biased against - political ideologies who encourage cheaters, liars and layabouts to avail themselves of funding meant to help the helpless. Am really implicitly biased against that. Oh yeah, and when in a dark parking lot at night, I keep a wary eye out for others who might be implicitly biased against little old ladies.

Implicit bias is just another way to say - you are inherently a 'bigot, racist, homophobe, misogynist' - you just don't know it yet. It has universal appeal for those who themselves have more than their fair share of implicit bias...when it comes to clean debate ya lost me at - 'Trump minion...
Maybe some examples?

Implicit bias refers to the attitudes or stereotypes that affect our understanding, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner. These biases, which encompass both favorable and unfavorable assessments, are activated involuntarily and without an individual’s awareness or intentional control. Residing deep in the subconscious, these biases are different from known biases that individuals may choose to conceal for the purposes of social and/or political correctness. Rather, implicit biases are not accessible through introspection.

The implicit associations we harbor in our subconscious cause us to have feelings and attitudes about other people based on characteristics such as race, ethnicity, age, and appearance. These associations develop over the course of a lifetime beginning at a very early age through exposure to direct and indirect messages. In addition to early life experiences, the media and news programming are often-cited origins of implicit associations.
Source

Examples:

I've read that

I also read

Hopefully this isn't asking too much, but seeing as you're referencing something you read, would you mind sharing with us what it is you read? A link to the document(s) you read would be most helpful.
Sorry, not here to win a debate, I just find the subject interesting and thought I'd chime in.

I can't track down the original articles i've read and don't really have the time but here's something speaking to the subject.

Is Implicit Bias a Useful Scientific Concept?

"The test-retest reliability (repeatability) of the Race IAT is only .42, which falls well below the psychometric standard of .80. Your score on the IAT can fluctuate significantly from one testing to the next. Hart Blanton, a psychologist at the University of Connecticut, has noted the ease with which people can decrease their racial bias score “by simply exposing people to pictures of African-Americans enjoying a picnic.”

Forum List

Back