Immunity Granted

In case anyone was wondering ... Obama voted for it.

McCain, once again, wasn't there to vote ....

I'm disappointed.

In the result of the vote or in this ... ?

“Senator Obama unequivocally opposes giving retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies and has cosponsored Senator Dodd's efforts to remove that provision from the FISA bill. Granting such immunity undermines the constitutional protections Americans trust the Congress to protect. Senator Obama supports a filibuster of this bill, and strongly urges others to do the same. It's not clear whether he can return for the vote, but under the Senate rules, the side trying to end a filibuster must produce 60 votes to cut off debate. Whether he is present for the vote or not, Senator Obama will not be among those voting to end the filibuster.”

Statement from Senator Obama?s Office on the FISA Bill | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

Just under a third of the Senate, including presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, supported an amendment proposed by Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., that would have stripped immunity from the bill. It was defeated on a 32-66 vote. Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain did not vote.

I'm disappointed because it was wrong to give them immunity. And I don't understand why Obama voted the way he did other than he's pandering to the right.

Just under a third of the Senate, including presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, supported an amendment proposed by Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., that would have stripped immunity from the bill. It was defeated on a 32-66 vote. Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain did not vote.

Hmmm ... I'm a bit confused now ...

It seemed to me that even though he voted for the amendments to strike the immunity he still ended up voting for the bill that granted immunity ...

I'm disappointed because it was wrong to give them immunity. And I don't understand why Obama voted the way he did other than he's pandering to the right.

I can understand that.

I'm not thrilled that the telecoms are getting a pass here either ...

I just wish Obama would be more principled with his votes.

If they're supposed to help the gov't to catch terrorists, they should be immune from being held financially responsible by the people they listen to.

It makes sense to me.

If they're supposed to help the gov't to catch terrorists, they should be immune from being held financially responsible by the people they listen to.

It makes sense to me.

Or the gov't could just do the right thing and get a warrant and none of this would even be an issue ...

Because you can't ask them to violate the law by listening in....and then allow them to be prosecuted for that exact thing.

Is it so confusing?

Because you can't ask them to violate the law by listening in....and then allow them to be prosecuted for that exact thing.

Is it so confusing?

They could have said no. Or a warrant could have been gotten. Is following the law so confusing?

Or the gov't could just do the right thing and get a warrant and none of this would even be an issue ...

Warrants don't work for this sort of thing. It takes time to get them....our security people need to be able to scan huge amounts of data without hindrance. They're looking for specific things, red flags. If you require a warrant, you seriously impede their ability to do that. And time means lives.

Warrants don't work for this sort of thing. It takes time to get them....our security people need to be able to scan huge amounts of data without hindrance. They're looking for specific things, red flags. If you require a warrant, you seriously impede their ability to do that. And time means lives.

The warrant can be issued after the fact ...

I, and millions of other Americans do not approve of the telecoms being open books to the gov't because of a "boogeyman" ... and neither should you ...

Forum List

Back